Need island recs from experts

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2004, 05:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there. My husband and I are looking to take a long weekend somewhere in the Caribbean in mid-May to June. I will be roughly five and a half months pregnant, so were are just looking to relax on a beautiful beach and eat great meals before the baby comes -- no spelunking or parasailing for us. ;-) He loves to golf and I would love somewhere with a great spa. (Oh, and all other things being equal, somewhere you can get to from the DC area without too many plane changes would be ideal.)

Neither of us has really traveled much in the Caribbean and would love some recommendations. Puerto Rico? St. John? Anguila? Bermuda? We're not budget travelers, but won't be looking at super luxe 5 star properties.

Thanks!
Jennifer
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 06:14 AM

Best combination of beautiful beach and good golf we have found -- Turks & Caicos. Look at one of the nice condo resorts there -- Royal West Indies, The Sands, Ocean Club West. Also, it's easy to get to from U.S. (only a bit south of the Bahamas). If you want a spa both Point Grace and Grace Bay Club, located on the same beach, have them. We also love the Hyatt Dorado in Puerto Rico for great golf, nice beaches and a wonderful all-around resort experience. It's about 40 minutes outside of San Juan, you can probably get a direct flight from DC. St. John and Anguilla do not have golf and they are more difficult to get to, especially since you are going for only a short time, you don't want to spend all your time travelling. Bermuda is beautiful but I went in May and didn't think it was warm enough for beach weather (just my opinion) but if you consider it since it is such an easy trip from DC -- look at The Reefs, consistently gets the highest ratings.
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 07:06 AM

Puerto Rico would be a good choice as would Aruba. Aruba has some really good courses but PR has more of the same. The beaches in Aruba are wonderful and per a readers poll in the travel mag. Carib. T and L it was voted as having the most friendly people and of of the best overall destinations, 2nd. I think.
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 09:33 AM

For a golfer.... and with great off season rates, recommend Montego Bay, staying at either Half Moon or Ritz Carlton, then play the White Witch, Cinnamon Hill and Tryall... plus those properties have excellent dinearounds with some terrific restaurants, not to mention spa treatments to relax you.

Should be able to fly non-stop DC to MoBay
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 04:47 PM
sp

Just adding to the comment suggesting The Reefs in Bermuda - this resort is always right up there as a favourite along with Pompano Beach Resort. Pomano has a golf course, is secluded (The Reefs is right at a main road) and the staff can't be beat. If you wait until the 2nd week of June the water will reach 80 degrees. The water is super calm (and clear).
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all. Because of the vagaries of frequent flier miles, Puerto Rico it is! Now I'm trying to decide between the Hyatt Dorado and the Wyndham El Conquistador...learning towards the Hyatt.
Thanks again! Much appreciated.
Jennifer