St. Lucia Marine Park permits?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2006, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just read on a website that you must have a permit if you want to go snorkeling in the marine park [I presume the one south of Jalousie?] Where do we get that permit? Do I have to go through a tour operator, as opposed to just walking out from the beach and drifting/swimming over there?
Thanks!
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 05:50 AM

I do not know the answer to your permit question but you should not expect top-notch snorkeling in St. Lucia, It does not compare to St. John, British V.I., Grenadines, Curacao(WEST END), T&C,some parts of the Abaco islands, Andros or Nassau. Just as a heads up if you are seeking quality snorkeling.
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

You know, it's funny, because you're not the first person to say this. Islands magazine rated Anse Chastanet as one of the top 10 spots in the world to snorkle. I believe the people over the magazine, but it just makes you wonder if the magazine is in-cahoots with some of the islands or something? I mean, is the snorkeling really not good, or it just isn't as good as some other spots in the carribean? I've snorkeled in Hawaii and the Yucatan, so I have some experience...Heck, I even enjoy snorkeling in La Jolla, CA, so as long as the water is resonably warm, clear, and there are some half-way colorful fish, I'll be happy!
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 12:17 PM

Hi, if you are snorkelling as part of a trip arranged by your hotel or tour company the permit price should be included in your tour trip. The only time we paid extra was when a group of us hired our own boat driver and he did charge us extra for the marine park fee. I cant remember what it was unfortunately.

Snorkelling at Anse Chastenet and Ti Kaye are both good.

If you go to anse chastenet for lunch you should be able to snorkel off the beach without worrying about the permit.
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 12:24 PM

St. Lucia's snorkeling may not be the best in the Caribbean, but it's certainly not among the worse, either, in my opinion. Snorkeling along the base of the Pitons at Jalousie was extremely colorful and vibrant, moreso than any place I've snorkeled outside the BVI.