Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Where is the best snorkeling in the Caribbean?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 04:30 AM
Lynn

Hello,<BR><BR>I am trying to plan my next vacation around finding great snorkeling.<BR><BR>Which Caribbean islands have the best snorkeling and why?<BR><BR>I was on Moorea, Bora Bora, and Tahiti a couple of years back, and was not too impressed with the snorkeling there. Is the Caribbean supposed to be better?<BR><BR>Thanks so much!!

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 04:47 AM
Nancy

Hi Lynn,<BR>The Caribbean is much better due to large reef systems surrounding many of the islands.<BR>I've been to about 30-35 islands, and I'll give you my faves, and you will get a lot of additional feedback from people who have been to places I haven't.<BR><BR>Faves for directly off the beach snorkeling (in this order) - Cozumel, Akumal, The Baths at Virgin Gorda, St. John, St. Lucia<BR><BR>Faves for catamaran/boat out to reefs (in this order) - Cozumel, Provo in TCI<BR><BR>

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 06:55 AM
certified diver

St. Croix is a good choice. We stayed at what was formerly the Westin Carambola, now under other ownership, and the reef starts a short swim out from the beach so you can see a tremendous amount and a large variety, not just tiny little fish but big ones. I was diving there one afternoon in its very shallow water (about 8 feet) and all of a sudden saw a shadow, nearly had a heart attack, just saw a huge open mouthed fish heading my way, but it was a playful wild manta ray and he just swooped on past! St. Croix is easy to get to and you can do day trips to other islands.

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 09:12 AM
elen

Cayman!!! You can snorkle in clear calm water from shore almost anywhere--and if there's chop on one beach you go to another. I prefer to never go in over my head but I've seen EVERYTHING (but sharks!) in less than 6 feet of water at 7 Mile Beachctopus, turtles, stingrays,Eagle Rays(!), barracuda, starfish, cowfish, conch, snapper, parrotfish, eel, squid, non-stinging jellyfish once, urchins, AND all the standard reef dwellers you'd expect (love those damsel fish)! J. Cousteau said it was tops in the northern hemisphere and that's good enough for me. GO THERE!!!<BR>GO THERE! Just GO!!!<BR>

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 11:01 AM
Pam

Belize was my favorite - the reef is amazing, the water is not deep and plenty warm.

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 11:13 AM
Kat

Second vote for Belize, it was amazing. I was sitting in just a few inches of water and looked down, it was a mini aquarium! The snorkeling was the best. What I saw snorkeling is what most people see when they dive (maybe) on other islands, it was that great. Untouched &amp; Unspoiled!

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 04:38 PM
Lynn

Wow!!! Thanks so much much everyone!! You have certainly given me great choices - now just to narrow it down!! (oh to have such problems!!) - please let me know if there is anything else I should consider, and I will certainly let you know how we are leaning!!<BR><BR>Thanks a million - the best to all of you!!

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 05:05 PM
Beth

I second the Caymans. It is the clearest water I've ever seen. The snorkle is the best there!!!!!

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 05:26 PM
Jill

I agree about the Caymans being good for SCUBA and snorkeling. Muff diving is always best in Jamaica though.

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 08:49 PM
Cathy

I agree with Nancy's recommendations. <BR><BR>I have not been to French Polynesia yet so I can't compare it to Caribbean destinations, but I like destinations with a good combination of reef development and fish variety.<BR><BR>I have had good snorkeling on many islands but my best experiences have been on the following:<BR><BR>St. Croix - especially the reef around Buck Island. There is a fantastic forrest of elk horn coral that is beyond belief. The island itself has the most beautiful white sand beach.<BR><BR>Grand Cayman - excellent fish variety and nice reef with usually excellent visability.<BR><BR>Aruba - went with a private company called SE Aruba Fly 'N Dive to some beach spots that had the best reef development I have seen close to shore. The waves and current were a bit tricky, however.<BR><BR>British Virgin Islands - The Baths is a place that should be experienced, but also off other islands in the BVI - I remember swimming in a sea of 10,000 silversides to look down and see a 9 foot Tarpon! I was terrified until I realized it was not a shark.<BR><BR>Places on my wish list to go snorkel - Turks and Caicos, Bonaire - I have heard these are excellent places to snorkel and dive. I am going to the Bahamas this summer because I have heard it has some interesting snorkeling as well.<BR><BR>Keep this in mind - a dive master in Austrailia taught me to slow down and be very observant and even in a seemingly uneventful snorkeling spot, you will be suprised at what you will see. The dive master was so correct!<BR><BR>Happy snorkeling!!

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 09:38 PM
caribqueen

Snorkeling from many of the beaches in the BVI especially the smaller outer islands other than Tortola which is just okay from a couple of beaches. But you can easily boat to other locations and snorkeling spots like Sandy Spit off of Jost van Dyke, the caves at Norman Island, the Dogs, Indians, Monkey Point. The Baths have become over used and abused and there are such wonderful spots other than there but their grottos are fun on quiet days. <BR>Also found that the Mexican Caribbean coast offered many opportunities south of Cancun and on Cozumel.<BR>The reefs sounding the Turks and Caicos but again the best is accessable by boat. <BR>St. John has some very nice snorkeling beaches and several of the cays off St. John are wonderful. <BR>St. Croix has Buck Island and the snorkeling is pretty meager other than there imo but it is nice. Heard that most of the reef is dead due to over use and hurricane damage though. <BR>Tobago Cays in the Grenadines are fantastic.<BR>Cayman Islands and Bellize are pretty popular spots also.

Old Nov 9th, 2002, 07:45 PM
1Been around the sea

Cozumel, Cayman, Akumal, Belize, Honduras are all great. It really depends on what else you seek. My favorite destination in the world is Akumal Mexico. In addition to primo lagoon and reef snorkling/diving (try diving if you really want to experience the sea), there is incredible food, awesome people, anchient culture, good public transportation and almost free tequila. What more could anyone need?

Old May 23rd, 2004, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've researched this extensively as my husband and I LOVE to snorkel. From what I've found, Belize probably ranks as #1, although we've never been there. We snorkel only from the shore (to save $$ and for convenience) and have seen some wonderful places. Among places we've been, we'd rank them:

1) St. John was the best by far- we went all day every day for 6 days to different beaches and were surrounded by fishies (and other creatures)
2) Cozumel, Mexico
3) North of Akumal, Mexico and south of Playa del Carmen) many places
4) Eleuthera, Bahamas
5) Isla Mujeres, Mexico on south end of Island
6) Florida Keys at Bahia Honda

I'm not psychic, but I definitely see Belize in our future!
Have fun!
Old May 24th, 2004, 07:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
According to Caribbean Travel &amp; Life Magazine, the Cayman Islands are the top destination in the Caribbean for both snorkelling and diving..... if it's under the water, Cayman is a clear #1 !