Search

St Lucia

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2004, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St Lucia

Anyone know of deals on weekly rental cars in St. Lucia---internet or when you get there?
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 11:57 AM

Don't rent a car for a week on St. Lucia.
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 12:53 PM
Robrook

I absolutely agree.

Old Jun 8th, 2004, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

You two are leaving me hanging----why not? I am going to be there two weeks.
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 03:12 PM

Croix, let me add my two cents. I assume that you will be staying at Jalousie. I think you will find the driving exhausting and long to anywhere from Jalousie. Don't lock yourself to a one week rental. Try it for three days and then decide if you want it longer. I couldn't stand driving in St. Lucia. It takes ages to get anywhere. It's hilly and if you drive through Soufriere you will no doubt get hounded by self appointed "guides" wanting to direct you for money. This is my frank experience.
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 04:00 PM

Let me be the first to disagree!

We almost always rent a car in the Caribbean, have done this for 20 years. My DH happens to love the adventure of driving the curvy roads and going whenever we choose (we rented a villa near Ladera once and stayed at Anse Chastanet on an earlier visit). It IS a long day to go to Castries, but if you enjoy this sort of thing, it's no worse than any other islands...and better than some more crowded ones. Just use common sense, don't pick up hitchhikers, either. We did this and he turned into another "guide" that Island Girl mentions (but they're just as prevalent walking the streets of Soufriere). Anyway, we paid dearly, I think it was $50/day, about 6 years ago. They have to import everything, so that's why you probably won't find a "deal". That said, you may still want to just do part of a week, as the idyllic atmosphere of the island will slow you down, and you won't feel like driving every day. Have a wonderful time - and drink a Piton for me! (after your drive )
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 06:45 AM

Do not drive in St. Lucia. Roads are dangerous.
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 08:18 PM

I rent cars everywhere and enjoy getting out and about and exploring on my own...everywhere but St. Lucia that is. The roads are full of potholes and twists and turns and as bad as everyone says. If you don't believe us, perhaps you can trust us and plan NOT to reserve one for your entire trip and just rent one (at the hotel)for the day(s) you want one to get out and about on your own.
I stay at the Jalousie and they have their own dedicated taxi drivers who are delightful and serve as tour guides. We went to places we would have NEVER discovered on our own, including on a hike through the rainforest to a hot spring fed by volcano-heated water from a spring just yards from the hand-built concrete enclosure to create the "hot tub". The local drivers will divert the less desirable characters that approach you in the villages.
But, perhaps my favorite reason NOT to travel by car is that travel by water taxi is much, much nicer and one of my favorite experiences in St. Lucia. A trip to Anse Chas to snorkel and enjoy the black sand beach for the day, other snorkel trips with a stop at Marigot Bay for lunch, or a day trip (by water taxi) to the markets in Castries - what a much nicer way to travel than any car (driven by yourself or a driver)!
Hotels have cars/ jeeps ready to rent if you must have one. Why pay for rental days when you are in the water or on the beach?
Again, I rent cars everywhere, but will never on St. Lucia. Just doesn't make sense financially, logistically or when you consider safety issues.
Old Jun 27th, 2004, 03:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to Gracieb and all. I will rent one some of the time since we have two weeks. However, the water taxi idea is superb.
Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 02:46 PM

I'm blanking on the name of our water taxi driver (and am embarrassed that I can't remember) but he recognized us on our return. The first thing I do the first day on the beach at the Jalousie Hilton is to go see him on his boat and arrange for my sightseeing days. You can arrange through the hotel or directly with the water taxi drivers. He had his son with him one week we were there (school was out), I bought a carving from him and one day he had a conflict he sent his nephew instead. Arranging trips with him is almost like coming "home" on St. Lucia (that's why it bothers me that I can't remember his name.
One day, while at Anse Chas' beach, I wanted to buy a carving but had not brought enough money. "Sunshine Biscuit" wanted me to take it with me and to pay his girlfriend who sold sarongs at the Hilton beach. I refused. Right before the water taxi pushed off, Sunshine Biscuit brought the carving, put it in the boat with a big smile. St. Lucia is such a small island, everyone is related or knows each other. I did pay the girlfriend the next day at the Hilton beach.