Search

st john resorts

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2007, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
st john resorts

My family (me, husband and 15-yr.old) are planning a trip to St john in late March, 2008. Ive read a lot of great reviews of Caneel Bay, but I'm worried that my daughter may want to watch TV at night.

Is the Westin really nice? Or can you reccomend another place to stay?
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 02:28 PM

wjinmd: There are a lot of Westin reviews on this and other forums. I'm one of those who like it and think its big advantage is all of those more modern resort amenities. It definitely lacks the special grounds and seven gorgeous beaches that Caneel boasts, but your 15 year old may get a bit bored there. I thought I read somewhere that tv is not in the rooms at Caneel, but that it may be possible to get one. IMO, I'd consider the Westin. You may also look into Gallows Point Resort which has condo-style units with tv.
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 08:22 AM

My sons loved the Westin (they were 13 and 9 years at the time). It's nice to be able to meet other children and teens at the resort. The pool is lovely. The beach is just Ok. We rented a jeep and went to a different beach every day - lots of snorkeling. Then we returned early afternoon and they played with the water toys (trampoline and iceberg in the water). We also ate most meals off the resort. You can rent a villa from an owner at the Westin much more reasonably than from the resort. If you primarily want to stay on a resort, I would probably go with Caneel for the beaches. We plan to return in a year or so but will probably rent a villa. We hope to find one near the Westin so the boys can still socialize with other teens. St. John is a beautiful island. It is also fun to make a day trip to the British Virgin islands while you are there.
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 09:15 AM

The beach is really the main downside at the Westin. They've got a nice pool, though. If you're up for making quick trips to the many gorgeous northshore beaches, then the Westin is a good place to stay, esp. with a teenage.
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 11:23 AM

We will be returning to Caneel in February 2008 for the fourth year in a row, each time with our daughters (they will be 18 and 15 this time around). They have never been bored at Caneel and never once complained about the lack of TV. IMO, staying at the Westin is like being at any number of interchangeable resorts. For the true feeling and beauty of the island, I strongly recommend Caneel.
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 12:05 PM

Depending how long you're staying on St. John why not do both? That's what we tend to do, half Westin and half Caneel. It winds up saving us some money. If it was up to me I would stay at Caneel the entire time, but the Westin is nice if you enjoy full service amenities in the room (mainly a tv). So we stay there for a few nights, unwind and then totally unwind at Caneel. -Susan
Old Jul 14th, 2007, 04:53 AM

I second Susan's suggestion! Why not?!
Old Jul 14th, 2007, 07:15 AM

While there aren't any TVs in the Caneel rooms, they do show a movie every night.
Old Jul 14th, 2007, 09:47 AM

Caneel is paradise on earth, like nothing else, and on 7 beautiful tree-shaded white sand beaches with wade-in snorkeling. Westin is an American hotel transplanted to the tropics, and on a man-made beach.
Old Jul 15th, 2007, 03:27 PM

consider splitting your stay as Susan and tuxedocat suggest, which is what i did as well. the 2 resorts offer a completely different experience, yet both are very much enjoyable. agree to stay at the westin first and use that time to explore all the wonderful spots on island. then just unwind on caneel's 7 splendid beaches, never wanting to leave the wonderful, vast grounds.
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 02:23 AM
owa

We are also splitting our lodging between two locations next month with our four teenage grandchildren. We are staying four nights at Caneel and four nights at Gallows. I really felt that the adult children would need a change of pace also. Three weeks to go!!! Good luck. Owa

Old Jul 16th, 2007, 09:59 AM

Have you considered a rental property. I did this 2/2007. Though the property was not on the beach, it did have a TV (not used much) a deck, a grill it was great!
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your ideas. We may just spend time at both resorts.
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 11:16 AM

Another idea for your daughter is to bring a portable dvd player or laptop and watch dvd's in the room.

When I went to Paris last year I brought the dvd player on the plane, but ended up using it in the hotel, since the tv was in french. I brought a few movies and tv programs as well.

We are staying at Caneel next April & I can't wait! Happy planning!