St. John in May OK?

Jan 8th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

St. John in May OK?

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has advice on St. John in mid-May (i.e., weather, heat, bugs, etc.).

Many thanks!

Jan 8th, 2009, 07:27 PM

I went to St. John in May last yr, it was great. No bug problems, nice weather, too!
Jan 9th, 2009, 06:38 AM

May is a great time to go!! We usually go in May and November. You still get the low/shoulder season prices and the weather in our experience has been great. Not excessively hot with nice water temps. The bugs however will be directly related to the amount of rainfall on the island. We have not had a problem. The island shouldn't be too crowded either.
Jan 9th, 2009, 10:27 AM

The best.

"Alles Gut!"
Jan 10th, 2009, 02:15 PM

Great time to go but if showeres come early morning(5-7AM) or (3-4) PM you should put on spray with no less than 50% DEET is you are generally a victim as my wife is of any mosquito within 100ft. Less that 50% DEET you likely can get bitten and our immunoligist told us 3 years ago that using 50% or even 100% DEET for 5-10 days with a thorough showers before bed will cause no harm unless you have a low immune system. Ben's comes in small orange plastic bottles at camping stores for sure and elsewhere.
Jan 12th, 2009, 08:25 AM

Probably my favorite time to go. It's hot but not like it is in summer. There's rain but not so much that the bugs are breeding like crazy. And most importantly, the winter surge is over and the water is calmer and nice and clear.