St. John hotel help needed

Old Mar 12th, 2004, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

St. John hotel help needed

staying for 4 nights in late may early june and need help deciding on a hotel/villa. Westin/Caneel both a little pricey for me but I don't want to stay in a dump either. What are my options?

Thanks!
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 08:16 AM

Rates are becoming attractive at the time you're looking at (beginning of summer), and there is a large variety of nice villa options if you don't want to spend the $$$ on one of the resorts.
What kind of budget range are you looking at?
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

i'd probably like to stay at 150 or below, but if something was really nice and worth it i'd probably go a little higher.
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 06:57 PM

italyinjuly,
There really aren't any "dumps" on St. John. Hotel options are limited. Westin and Caneel are the 2 major resorts. Gallows Point is the other main hotel-like condo complex. There are a lot of smaller condo complexes and some very reasonable villa rentals. I will be glad to help with more info.
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 09:15 PM

You can try Lavender Hill - but they are not on the beach. Or..go to VRBO.com and see if an owner has a place on or near the beach that is availabble to rent. The westin has timeshares that might be available then. You could also google on St John Lodging. We stayed at the westin. its gotten mixed reviews; spent a day at Caneel - very pricey but nice. You can go to their beach but not sit on the chairs. They have patrols coming around to verify if you are a guest and therefore, allowed a seat....even if the place is empty. Gallows point looked quite nice from the bay.
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

mewmom...a smaller condo/villa would be great! any recomendations?

cmeyer54...i'll check out lavender hill, thanks!
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 08:53 AM
jcb

Have you check out Estate Lindholm? The garden view is $170 a night and includes breakfast. It's in a wonderful location.

FYI - many of the villas have a 5 night minimun in summer.

Good luck!!
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 11:55 AM

I believe The Estate Lindholm will be more like 140 something in june.Check out their website. It is a Great little place. We cant wait to go back.
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

e-l was 170 a night

we went with mahogany tree villas, the people seem really nice and the website looks pretty good, any thoughts?
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 01:13 PM
jcb

Check on the user reviews on www.usvi-on-line.com. It seems to be getting good reviews. Have a wonderful trip!!!
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 02:44 PM

italyinjuly,
sorry for the delay in a response - I didn't see your post until today.
You made a great choice with Mahogany Tree Villas. You will love the convenience of being able to walk into town without having to take the car everytime. You can also stroll to Franks bay and take your morning coffee with you. Additionally, there is a mangrove nearby with a bench to watch the wonderful waterfowl. Sunset views... and a few cats in the neighborhood to greet you! You will love it! Good choice!
Let us know how the trip goes! I will be on St. John shortly after you, and I can't wait. Email me personally and let me know what your highlights were!
Have a wonderful time!