St. John help

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 06:26 AM
Millie

St. John help

I am looking for a hotel or condo in S. John (on the beach)...something comparable to Coral Gardens in Provo or a 1 BR condo like in the Caymans. Is there anything like this there or do I either have to go with an expensive hotel (like Caneel) or a 2 - 3 bedroom villa?

Thanks in advance

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 06:36 AM
Millie too

Hi Millie,

All that is on the beach hotel wise is Caneel (beautifl resort) and the Westin is on a man made beach.

A suggestion is please don't rule out a villa on a hillside. We thought the same thing but until we arrived at the villa and saw the most gorgeous views/sunsets, great breezes, we were in heaven and so pleased we went the villa route.

St. John is an island that you want to rent a jeep. There are numerous beautiful beaches and much to explore on this beautiful island and the main town of Cruz Bay for shopping and dining is a must.

The best for us was actually grilling steaks on the grille at the villa just at sunset and enjoying the peace and beauty.

Check out some of the villa sites. Ones we have dealt with and very pleased are: I did notice on the websites I'm giving you below that there are a couple of cottages just built on the beach called: Gibney Cottages. They look fantastic but a bit pricey.

Check out some of the villas on the hillside, you really won't be disappointed. The rental agents we dealt with are very honest and very helpful.
www.vacationvistas.com
www.lime-coconut.com

This is just a suggestion.

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 06:49 AM
Millie

Thanks so much Millie too! I will definitely look into those hillside villas.

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 06:57 AM
Lynn

Wow, Millie Too, I sure wish I had a budget like yours! I just checked out Gibney Cottages, and if you consider weekly rates of $5,000 in-season and $3,500 off-season (for either a one- or two-bedroom unit) merely "a bit pricey," you must be rich! From where I sit, that's outrageous. My husband and I could well afford to splurge on a place like that (I'm sure it's beautiful), but my value system just won't allow me to throw money away like that when less expensive (and perfectly beautiful) accommodations are available.

Millie, I wish you luck. My husband and I are trying to get to St. John in February, and we're having a very hard time finding something reasonably close to a beach that won't break the bank. There ARE condos and small villas that you can rent for under $1,500 per week; I've even seen some for around $1,000 per week, though they're on the east (windward) side of the island. Frankly, I think you're going to find that if you insist on being right on the beach (which is what we wanted, too) it's going to cost you a fortune. You'll either have to stay at Caneel or the Westin, or rent one of a limited number of *really* expensive villas or condos that are on the beach.

Web sites to check are www.stjohnisland.com and www.vrbo.com, among many others.

Best of luck to you; I hope it all works out!

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 07:03 AM
Millie

Thank you Lynn. You seem to have a good understanding of what I am looking for. I will check out the websites you suggested. Good luck to you too!

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 08:02 AM
Millie too

Wow, I wish I could afford Gibney Cottages. I suggested the other Millie to look at.

Some villas I have seen are "Splendore" which seems to be everyone's favorite who goes to St. John. 2 bedroom, gorgeous views. I believe it's on www.vacationvistas.com. There really are a lot of other websites.

I got all my info last year from folks on the USVI Online forum. On that site it has numerous villa web sites and other info. There is also a villa review.
We only have been once and fell in love St. John. We loved it cause there were no peddlers, clean island, extremely picturesque and stunning beaches. Lots to do. The BVI's are so close, you can charter a half/full day sail to Virgin Gorda, Tortola, etc. Or you can take the 30 min ferry over to St. Thomas for a day of shopping. More jewelry stores that I've ever seen (except in New York).

Let us all know what you decide.

Millie too.

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 10:42 AM
Julie

We stayed at a very nice hillside villa called Dream Catcher (through caribbeanvilla.com) for right around $1500 in the off-season. For that price we got 3 A/C BRs, a pool, a hottub, and a fabulous view of St. Thomas (including great sunsets). The location on Great Cruz Bay, was perfect for us because of its convenience to restaurants, groceries, etc.

Gallows Point is a nice condo complex that's also more moderately priced in the off-season. It doesn't really have a beach but it is waterfront with great views. The nice thing about Gallows is you can walk to town, so you don't have to worry about parking or driving home after a few painkillers (although you should rent a jeep no matter what). If you do go to Gallows stay away from the harborside units, which get too much noise from town.

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 10:50 AM
Julie

Oops, forgot to say--there are very few 1BR villas on St. John, but the price tends to be adjusted by the number of occupants. In other words, you can often get a very large villa at a more reasonable price if there will only be 2 people staying there.

Also, check out Estate Lindholm as another potential option for condos.

Lynn--have you thought at all about staying at a campground? I've heard that Maho and Little Cinnamon are both very nice, although I'm not familiar with their pricing. There are also the Eco-studios through Estate Concordia, I think? I'm not sure how rustic you're willing to go, but these might be your best options for low price in high season. I think you'll find some reviews of these spots if you do a search here or at usvi-on-line.

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 11:33 AM
Can't-wait

JULIE!
What timing. I read your review of Dream Catcher villa and that helped us decide to rent it. We have rented from Caribbean Villas a few times but it ALWAYS helps to read unbiased opinions.

We'll be there on Friday!

Just wanted to say Thank You.

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 05:39 PM
Julie

Wow--that's great to hear that someone's actually benefitted from the information. Hope you have a great time! I'm very jealous. Please let us know about your trip when you get back.

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 07:32 PM
Joan

Have fun commuting to the beach!

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 06:24 AM
You go John

John - you are so right. There is nothing like renting a hillside villa on St. John. The views are magnificent and the privacy is phenonminal.

It tooks us all of 5 min. to drive to town and 15 to the exquisite northshore beaches.

There is always a negative person on this site that likes to start something. Ignore her!

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 08:00 AM
can't-wait

Actually this villa is harborside not hillside: http://www.caribbeanvilla.com/dream/dream.html

Julie, I'll report back.

John, you hit the nail on the head!

Joan, it's a commute that I enjoy and can live with. There are 52 beaches on St John and I cannot wait to add some more to our running list. (PS U are an idiot).

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 05:34 PM
Lynn

Julie, thanks, but I really don't want to go to paradise and go the campground route. I might be cheap, but I value my comfort too much to say that I've EVER enjoyed camping under any circumstances. We haven't given up all hope yet; we're still trying to work something out through our travel agent. We may yet end up in Turks and Caicos (Provo), but we won't care as long as there's great snorkeling and lovely beaches. Time will tell. Again, thanks for your suggestion; I just prefer the great INDOORS when it's time to go to sleep!

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 07:42 PM
you poor thing

can't wait,

I'll bet your cooler is all packed and ready to be checked on the plane. Have fun schlepping to the beach since you can't afford to stay on it!