Search

Villas

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2003, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Villas

One other thing... have any of you actually stayed in the villas that are on some islands? Particularly, St. John's? There seem to be some great ones, but are they really that nice, or are they like next to a bus station or drug house and you just don't know that until you get there? We thought Siempre Azul looked nice... any suggestions on honest-to-goodness nice villas on the beach in a safe, fun place to visit for a honeymoon???????? Sigh... thanks again!
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 07:20 AM

Well I'm a little confused. In your other thread, you said you wanted a resort with spa services and here your inquiring about villas. Obviously a villa is a self catering option. You have great privacy but you will have to do for yourself as far as making your bed and such.
There are very very few beachfront villas on St John. (there's no s on St John)If that's a deal breaker, you'd really be happier on another island. The beaches on St John are for the most part under the protection of the National Park and so there are no hotels or villas built on them. The only beachfront resorts on St John are Caneel Bay and the Westin.
Siempre Azul is a lovely small villa on the Coral Bay side of the island. My boyfriend and I stayed there for a week about a year and a half ago.
There are no "bus stations" or "drug houses" on St John. If you really are looking to rent a villa on St John for your honeymoon, I'd suggest getting in touch with one of the management agencies on the island, tell them your requirements and let them advise you.
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

silly girl:
I know! I'm like schizo about all of this! We are debating the all-inclusive idea with the villa idea. My long thread about what we want is accurate, but we wouldn't mind cooking for ourselves or driving around to restaurants or making our own beds (most of the places offer maid service for extra $). We're just leery of a place saying it's a gorgeous villa, but you get there and it's leaky and buggy and 10 miles from the beach next to a sanitation plant or something! We're afraid they are "too good to be true", but if we know of people who have actually stayed there, we would feel more secure! Thanks for the Siempre Azul info - by the way - is it on the beach? Thank you!
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 08:18 AM

Siempre Azul is slightly above a rocky beach. It's not a white sand beach by any means. It's also on the Coral Bay side of the island. Coral Bay is extremely quiet and there are only about 4 restaurants a gas station and a convenience store on that end. You'll have about a 25-30 minute drive across the island to get to most of the restaurants in Cruz Bay.
A rental car in this location is an absolute necessity.
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 11:52 AM

Villas are NOT self-catering in Jamaica, with very few exceptions they come with a maid, cook and gardener..the more upsacle ones may have a bartender and butler just for the house.

Also, many of them are on the beach.
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Liza:
That is what I was thinking -- and looking for! Do you know of any specific ones???
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 12:21 PM

look at moondancevilla.com. they are located on the 7 mile beach of negril. comes with everything!
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 05:32 PM

A good start on different ones in different parts of jamaica is at jamaicaescapes.com .

Moondance is a nice one though, had friends stay there last year so spent a little time hanging out in theirs....they are just as nice as the web site pics...a computer in the living room with net access, a wet bar, tons of private outdoor beach and garden space, truly solid and nice furniture (the couch in their LR was a leather sectional).

And they're quite new....but expensive for Jamaica, I think.