St. John Villa Location and A/C?

Jun 6th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

St. John Villa Location and A/C?

Think we've settled on St. John for our first trip to the Caribbean and are trying to narrow down locations for renting a villa.

Would like to be a short distance to restaurants and the beach while having some piece and quiet and views too. I've noticed that many of the nicer villas set up away from the beach (in the hills) do not have A/C. Would lack of A/C be a problem in April/May? I can't imagine it's that much cooler up in the hills.

What's your favorite part of the island to stay? Thanks in advance.
Jun 6th, 2008, 06:05 PM

Lack of AC during this time of the year is definitely an issue for most. Unless you are a hardy, tropical weather traveler and can deal with relying on breezes and fans, I wouldn't recommend it. That being said, it depends on where the villa is located and how effective the fans are. Being right on the beach in STJ is not necessarily a big deal either. If noone has ever pointed it out... sometimes being right on the beach is not all that great. One, there are more bugs close to the water. Two, there are no private beaches so anyone can cross in front of your view, etc. Also, STJ is so small, no one is really any distance from the water. IMO, you are best finding a villa that has the amenities that you want and within your price range. If quiet and solitude is important, be sure to find a place away from the big social centers. The beaches are all within a 15 minute drive from anywhere you are on island, so don't let that be a determining factor. Looks at "Bongo Bongo" which is luxurious,close to town and has great views. Personally, though, I love the Coral Bay area which is relatively more remote. There are plenty of restaurant options and the villas are more reasonably priced.
Jun 7th, 2008, 07:19 AM

For first timers and if you want to be close to restaurants etc in Cruz Bay, I would look at the Great Cruz Bay and Chocolate Hole area. Bongo Bongo is in that area as well as many, many villas.

Sorry, can't help you with the AC question. We have never stayed up in the hills. I think I would want it in the bedrooms though.
Jun 11th, 2008, 07:32 AM

I actually just got back from my honeymoon on St. John. We stayed up in the hills, overlooking Caneel Bay. Our villa was actually right next door to Kenny Chesney's, but he was not on the island that week. Our villa did not have A/C in the bedrooms. It was tolerable, but only because we have about 4 fans in our bedroom. Now that we have gotten a little deeper into the summer, I would not recommend it. I used a villa company, Villas Caribe. Their site actually lists whether or not villas come with A/C. They were very helpful.
Jun 11th, 2008, 10:08 PM

Having stayhed in a houseaka "villa" right near a beach (Francis Bay) with a "low view" and one in Coral Bay, with am AMAZING high-upview form the hil--I'd take the latter, and spend a few extra minutes driving to nearby beaches.
NO drive is that long to a stunning beach in St J.
You get views that are llke nowehere else on earth--from Bordeaux Mt, Coral Bay, etc, hight above the ocean, but no more than a ten or fifteen minute drive to perfect beaches.
Many of the villas and cottages that I'm aware of in Coral Bay do have ac in at least the bedrroons.

I'm with Tuxedocat. I LOVE and prefer Coral Bay area. It's more of a remote feel than Cruz Bay but if good restaurants are important to you, there are enough there to keep you and your tummy satisified for the week.

Are you going with children? Do you want somewhere casual/family like or more luxurious? Outdoor table and view improtant? pool important? just a few quetions to ask yourself as you plan.
Jun 13th, 2008, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for everyone's input. As I expected with the A/C (we'll definitely want it). Coral Bay sounds about our speed. Sounds like up a bit away from the water is best. View is important and a pool is definitely preferred. I'll post back with more questions as we continue to plan. Thanks.
Jun 13th, 2008, 01:34 PM

Brian, our second trip to St. John in May 1999 was one of the hottest we've ever experienced. I would not worry about being on the beach since there aren't that many houses actually on the beach and to get to the best beaches you still need a car. Last year we rented a house just outside Cruz Bay, La Papaya, it was relatively high on the hill (an EASY drive) and had great breezes. We were still glad to have A/C and we will not rent a house without A/C or a pool.

There are many different points of view on which side of the island to stay on. We prefer the Cruz Bay side since there is so much more to do there and every house we've rented on that side has been peacefull & quiet. You don't even know "town" is close by.

After you narrow your villa choices post here and get some opinions. One thing I caution about is that some of the roads are in worse shape than others and some villas have long drives to get to them from anywhere. You'll love St. John! We leave in August for 9 days, it will be our 14th time.