St. John Day Excursions? Caneel Bay?

May 19th, 2003, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

St. John Day Excursions? Caneel Bay?

My husband and I are going to be celebrating our 2 year anniversary this October at Caneel Bay. I have been doing a lot of research and was curious to see if anyone has had better experience with booking day tours/excursions through the resort itself? Or is it better to go through other tours that you can book on the web ahead of time? For example, I saw tours on bookitvi.com... We are mostly interested in the Baths, Foxy's, etc. Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks again
May 19th, 2003, 03:18 PM

My family and I spent a week at Caneel a couple of Thanksgiving's ago...all 18 of us and we booked everything through the resort when we got there and had no problems. We all had different interests, different ages of children so we wanted to do different things. They were incredibly helpful and we all got to do all the things we wanted to do..including the baths, Foxy's, the Soggy Dollar, deep sea fishing etc. I highly recommend using the resort, their expertise and connections when you get there.
May 20th, 2003, 04:04 AM

We took a trip to Baths operated by Charter Boat Center (Stormy Petrel was our boat) at http://www.charterboat.vi/index.html and had the time of our lives. Our crew was excellent - informative, friendly and knoweledgable. I highly recommend that you use these people. We have twice and it get's better each time.
May 20th, 2003, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

Regarding the excursions offered at Caneel, did they include food/drinks, non-alcoholic and alcoholic?? I also noticed online that other tours/ excursions include drinks onboard. Also about how much are they per person through Caneel? Anyone recommended over the other? I saw online that they are roughly $110+ per person (not including BVI fees, etc.). I also noticed that you have to bring your passport for the BVIs. How does this work say when you go snorkeling, etc. Are there places on board to put your "personal belongs" while you in the water? Sorry for so many questions! Thanks again for the inffo and help!
May 20th, 2003, 07:14 PM

Every excursion I have been on in the islands includes food/drink. I find the smaller the boat and party and better the drinks and food. Highly recommend the trip to Foxy's and/or the Soggy Dollar bar but thought the trips to the Bath was lame in comparison to all of the other sails I've taken in the VI's. The crew will take your passport on boarding the ship, keep it to present to immigration in the BV's and return it to you once your onboard for the final sail home. The rest of your stuff will be unattended however so I recommend only bringing a small amount of cash and nothing else of great value. I have also enjoyed snorkel trips to small bays around the islands. Find that you get what you pay for. Ask Caneel for the recommendation (we know own a timeshare at the Westin) and let them know you expect something nice. Have Fun!
May 21st, 2003, 03:41 AM

I did excursions both ways, private and at Caneel. I prefer Caneel. Their prices are about the same. Since their are fewer people on board, it is more private, and Caneel takes very good care of their guests. Convenience is another reason. You just have to walk to Caneel's dock to get on bard one of their trips, but you would have to travel by car or taxi to get to other tour operator sites.

The four BVI island snorkeling trip is outstanding. It was the best such trip I have ever experienced. The visibility and the beauty of a large variety of fish was sensational. In addition Captain Cathy goes in with you and points out different types of marine life. The boat seats only six or sven guests, and personal belongings are very safe. We stopped for lunch at "The Pirate Ship' which is anchored in the water away from land. Cost of lunch was extra. but I believe additional beverages both soft and alcholic were available at no additional cost.

The sunset cruise was very nice with Caribbean music provided. Included was a large assortment of finger foods and beverages. Cost was approximately $50.

Scuba and snorkeling through on site Paradise watersports was great. We had both divers and snorkelers and they went out of their way to accomodate both groups. Again the number of guests on board was small, and the crew gave much individual attention to each participant acording to individual needs. Beer and soft drinks were available.

There is no need to worry about the safety of personal possesions, and there is a place for them. Cameras, swimming gear and a small amount of cash for BVI trip lunch is all that is needed. Since you are leaving from Caneel's private dock, everthing else can be left in your room.

Passports or birth certificates are need only when you go on land in BVI, such as BVI snorkeling trip, or Little Dix Bay trip.

I have not done the National Park trip, but am planning to do so the next time. I will do it with Caneel for the reasons listed above.
May 21st, 2003, 03:51 AM

With Stormy Petrel they include all the premium liquor & beer you could want. Non-alcoholics included as well. They stop on Cooper Island for lunch, you order via VHF radio so that you don't spend as much time waiting and can walk the beach.
May 21st, 2003, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

Wow so much info! Thanks to everyone I now have a better idea of what to expect regarding the day trips. To "Dianebride" I also was curious if you tried the wine tasting as well at Caneel? Would you recommend a 1st or 2nd floor room on Hawksnest? And any other recommendations/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I cannot wait to go to Caneel. Thanks again.