Boat trip from WESTIN ST JOHN

Old Oct 10th, 2005, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boat trip from WESTIN ST JOHN

Apologies if this is a duplicate--site was acting weird yesterday.
Any Fodies had experience with boat trips (BVI, sunset cruise, snorkeling) booked through the watersports place at Westin St John? It sure would be convenient to leave right from the resort's dock while I'm staying at the Westin.
Thanks!!
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 10:48 AM

Replied to your other one. Oh well. Anyway, the Westin dock has many great boat trips leaving from it. Very convenient, and a good variety. The concierge will fill you in.
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 07:23 AM
cdt

We sailed on the Adventurer catamaran from the Westin and it was a great trip. Stopped near a small cay between St. John and Jost van Dyke for snorkeling; then Foxy's on Jost for lunch; then White Bay (terrific beach) and the Soggy Dollar. I would definitely recommend this excursion.

Old Oct 11th, 2005, 10:45 PM
Original Poster

Greetings, CDT and Tuxedocat! T'cat, thanks for taking the time to reply to both posts. Sorry--either I or the system was confused this weekend about where to find/place the postings.
Thank you both for your replies about boat trips. Glad to read of good experiences with companies departing from the WSJ.
Also want to let you both know
I enjoy, appreciate, and learn much from your Fodors Carib Talk postings here.This will be only my second time to St Johnn(son and family's first) and we can hardly wait,
We're renting a homey/casual looking villa nr Francis Bay for tfirst 5 days, and then our townhouse TS at Westin for next 7 days. Arriving before timeshare week begins so as not to miss St John Carnival!!
Tuxedocat, you're right about prices--the kids' fares are actually lower (than on some departing from Cruz Bay Nat'l Park dock) on at least one of the trips from WSJ.
Thanks again. Now to decide which boat excursion(s) to take!
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 04:01 AM
mlw

We enjoyed the Limnos day trip which included the Baths at Virgin Gorda, and snorkeling at the caves at Norman Island. Some of the other boat trips advertised seemed to be more for those intersted in stopping at beach bars,etc....in which we had no interest. So it depends on what you are looking for. It was very convenient boarding the boat right at the Westin. I would recommend going to The Baths, there is nothing else like it.
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 08:43 PM

CaliNurse: We'll be looking forward to your trip report. Unlike some folks who knock the Westin for its modest beach, I love the Westin. I have stayed there 3 times and they have always treated us with the most casual, unpretentious friendliness. Enjoy their wonderful, convenient boat services. I also recommend Cruz Bay Sports which operates a dive shop right there at their dock.
Old Oct 15th, 2005, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again for all replies, Fodor friends.
Tuxedocat, glad to read of your good experiences at Westin. Stayed there the one time I've been to St John and loved it. It's especially great for people with kids, as there are so many children's activiites, pools up on the hillside between groups ofvillas as well as the big pool by the bay, etc. We too encountered excellent service. I loved chatting with the golf cart guys as they drove us around (never waited more than 5 minutes). Someone on tripadvisor complained about the "busy road" between the villas and the main resort.!! He meant that little road... more like a lane! Sure the sand (manmade, i thnk?) beach there isn't as gorgeous or quiet as the other local beaches, but it's perfectly adequate for those times you just want to hang out without getting into the car, nr the water, to see a stunning sunset and the look of boats in a bay in the golden light. Ah well...to each his own.