Renaissance Grand Beach Resort - comments pls

May 16th, 2003, 08:51 AM
mm
Original Poster

Renaissance Grand Beach Resort - comments pls

Hello,

My wife and I are heading to this place the first week of August. I would appreciate whatever comments you have about this resort.

My goals are to relax on the beach and read a lot. Plan to do a day-long bike trip on St. John and snorkel as much as possible.

I've read mixed reviews and would appreciate an up-to-date evaluation.

Thanks a lot.

MM
May 17th, 2003, 07:28 AM

Stayed there last year in July with wife, two kids, 12 and 18 and friend of the 18 year old. Not a lot to do on "resort." Main pool was closed for renovation. Unless you like hiking or waiting for their little shuttle carts, get a room near the pool or as close to the lobby as possible. We got upgraded to a 2 bdrm suite at no charge because they messed up my room request. AC in master bdrm was anemic. Calls to engineering were a waste of time. Room itself was otherwise nice. Housekeeping was very good. Hike to and from room was a pain. Bring cash, I had to grab a manager everytime I wanted to cash a travelers check. Don't be shy about complaining, I bitched at one of the managers and she comped me $150. If you want to just hang out it's not bad but zero nightlife. Food was mediocre at Baywinds, good at Smugglers but that was overpriced. Go to Romano's about a block and a half away for good Italian food(not cheap)- small, intimate and worth it. Not NY Italian food but really good. You can get pizza delivered from a place in Red Hook. A lot of pepole did that. Bar and food at Fungis next door was nothing to write home about. All in all not the greatest place but not the worst place either.
May 19th, 2003, 07:07 AM
mm
Original Poster

Ski58.

Thanks for the info.

MM
May 19th, 2003, 07:33 AM

"Plan to do a day-long bike trip on St. John" I'm curious about this bike trip on St John you have planned. St John would be the last place I'd do a bike tour. Is this a package with a tour company?
May 19th, 2003, 08:42 AM
mm
Original Poster

Hello,

Check out www.arawakexp.com for info on kayak and bike tours.

Why did you say St. John would be the last place you'd take a bike trip. Lot's of trail and beautiful views. What's not to like?

MM
May 19th, 2003, 04:57 PM

Was here last August and the main pool had re-opened. The main pool was a salt water pool and a slat water jacuzzi, kind of nice, the ocean without the sand. They have a nice beach area, plenty of loungers, there was always a shaded area if you didn't want too much sun. They had several hammocks as well, perfect place to read and relax. The water sports desk lets you check out snorkel gear at no charge. Just leave a credit card imprint and you can keep gear in your room the entire stay. This was convenient and a savings to us. We took our gear and walked to Coki beach and snorkeled there one day when none of the cruise ships were in port, otherwise it gets busy there.The hotel had some scheduled free activities about 5 days a week, we did bingo, trivia, a snorkel activity for free bottles of rum. There was a mgmt hosted cocktail party one nt, and a dive-in movie at the main pool on Friday nt complete with fresh popcorn.Had most dinners at restaurants in Red Hook or near Compass Point, there are lots of great places so we wanted to explore.Hope you enjoy.
May 20th, 2003, 06:37 AM
mm
Original Poster

girlofgab,

Thanks for the encouraging note. I've read mixed messages and your's is the most information and positive.

MM
May 20th, 2003, 07:27 PM

My husband and I stayed there last year and our room was nice. Quite large and very clean. The beach was a hike however no more so than at many places we have stayed in the Carribean. We have always stayed at that end of St. Thomas because I LOVE St. John (on that trip we bought a timeshare at the Westin St. John). We stay on St. Thomas because we can use our Marriott Points at places like GB. Personally I like a beach with a view of nothing but water, beach and paradise - including not many other people. Which is why we always day tripped to St. John. Have not found a hotel on St. Thomas that offers that (maybe the Ritz does - don't know, can't afford it) and I have stayed at GB, Frenchman's Reef, Morningstar and Saphire Beach. Depends on how much you mind lots of people on the beach - some people like Wakiki - to me it's just like a subway - wall to wall bodies. And while we think of August as a down time in the Carribean we have been in August and you'll find lots of Europeans vacationing during that time. All said we had no specific complaints, liked Fungi's Bar/Restaurant next door, liked the snorkel trip offered from GB. If you got a good deal - go for it!
May 21st, 2003, 09:04 AM
mm
Original Poster

I paid $1,650 for 5 days and r/t air from Boston for the two of us.

Wadda you think?

MM
May 21st, 2003, 09:17 AM

mm,
I got $519.00/person on American.
I seems like you and I got similar deals. I will be staying at the Marriott FR with a water view room.