Spice Island vs. Cap Juluca

Jun 14th, 2002, 04:16 PM
Linda

Spice Island vs. Cap Juluca

We are considering a stay at Spice Island for next February. We have spent the last 2 years at Cap Julica which is beautiful but now seems to be attracting families with small children (as is Caneel Bay where we went for 10 years before Cap). How do they compare? (ie beach, rooms, food, children) Any other suggestions? We like a pretty beach to walk on, tennis, and if possible some snorkling.
Thanks,
Linda

Aug 3rd, 2002, 12:18 PM
alexa

Please read my post on the Spice Island Inn! DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON GRENADA! As for the families - there were plenty of families there when I went last year. The kids were the most misbehaving misfits I've ever encountered on vacation. If you don't find my post, here's a summary: bad food, nutmeg on everything, small beach next to garbage and construction and across the street from hungry cows, vendors on the beach that woke me up to try to sell me something, did not feel safe, NOTHING to do at night, no fun walking out from the resort and staring at hungry animals and poor people (nothing against poor people, but it made me feel guilty spending $5000 on this vacation when these people don't see a dime. I tried to buy from people on the street just so I cold give them a few extra dollars, not because I wanted the stuff. They were nice people for the most part.) Found a green worm crawling in my food after spending 2 days vomiting, dizzy, and unable to get out of bed (except to vomit), and had to fly on a very small, hot plane, w/propellers (don't tell me all planes have these, not like this one) and a two seat wide aisle. I then had to walk from the plane to the airport and check in w/customs which consisted of two sweaty guys (at night) behind a podium, then go outside where I could feel the danger from the first step. Fiance and I are both police officers in a busy city and both of us looked at each other and felt very unsafe while waiting for our taxi. Not a great way to start a vacation.

Aug 3rd, 2002, 01:48 PM
Sally

Alexa - I collect reports of bad travel experiences (just for myself) - "holidays from hell" so to speak. Yours sounds like it would certainly qualify! I can't find your report however; could you be more specific as to when and where you posted it?

Aug 3rd, 2002, 03:02 PM
Nancy

Linda,
While my vacation at Spice Island was NOTHING remotely like Alexa's, I do not share the same sentiments about Grenada. The island and the people were lovely, I would just not stay at SI again. It is not in the same class as Cap Juluca.
There are many other luxury choices in the Caribbean. If you liked Anguilla, I'd suggest Nevis Four Seasons, Turks and Caicos Grace Bay, St. Lucia. Jalousie Hilton.
Sounds like Alexa needs to stay at home...

Aug 3rd, 2002, 04:13 PM
Mary

Have you considered Frangipani on Anguilla? It's on Meads Bay (a gorgeous, gorgeous beach with a good restaurant, great pool & tennis courts. It only has 8 (huge) units & I've never actually seen any children there (looke at www.frangipani.ai). We love it there.