Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

more bahamas - the good, the bad, the dissapointing

Jul 9th, 2002, 03:37 PM
tigerlily

Just a few more notes on our trip to the bahamas. Listed below are reviews of Graycliffe, Dune, and Powerboat Adventure.

Restaurants
*Graycliffe: Surprisingly, our favorite. We had doubts about this place as, recently, it's gotten mixed reviews. But if you're looking for a place to splurge on, Graycliffe doesn't disappoint. Elegant, old-world charm, gorgeous decor, romantic, elegant, intimate. Maybe some will find it stuffy, but we felt totally relaxed and charmed and the evening felt very special. Also, the service was wonderful and the staff was both friendly and extremely knowledgeable. Ah, but what about the food? The menu is traditional, not particularly creative. The food is very good, but not exceptional. Favorites: the crab leg appetizer and the chocolate souffle.

*Dune @ the Ocean Club: Well, this was a bit of a letdown. The grounds of the Ocean Club are beautiful and make for a wonderful evening stroll. Some may enjoy the ambiance of Dune. We found it to be a bit over-designed and pretentious. This was made less forgiveable by the fact that we could barely hear each other in a restaurant that was only half full (with no one seated at the table next to us). The menu is interesting, though limited, and the food is, again, good but not spectacular. Also, the waiter wasn't very pleasant and clearly knew very little about food or wine. For the price, we certainly expected more.

Powerboat Adventure: I feel obliged to review this here because it has garnered such raves. Is the powerboat ride fun? Sure. It is very rough-going and your back will hurt the next day. If you don't like a bumpy ride, sit or stand in the back. Feeding the sharks was exciting and a bit of a thrill. The snorkeling was over almost before it began and there weren't very many fish. Maybe this is common for Bahamas snorkeling and I was spoiled by Hawaii? Can't say. As for lunch, by the time we got our food, it was cold. Which brings me to the biggest problem: overcrowding. If you are considering PA for a corporate or family outing, I think it would be a great bet. But we went on a Saturday and they brought three boats brimming with people to a sliver of beach. There were crowds and lines for everything. We really didn't get the island idyll that they pitch in their brochures.I couldn't help but feel that the people at PA are resting on their laurels.

I know this post is a bit negative, but I do want to say that we had a wonderful time in the Bahamas and we would certainly return. The people are wonderful and we were delighted with Compass Point.

best,
tigerlily

Jul 9th, 2002, 06:10 PM
Rob

We had dinners outdoors at Dune and it was wonderfully quiet with beautiful breezes and soft music in the background from the beachside bar.
Whispers were easily heard and the ambience overlooking the beach/ocean could not have been better.
As for food quality, I think my expectations were low going in since I don't care for the Bahamas all that much in the first place, so I wasn't disappointed. Food was no better quality than I'd typically expect to pay about $14 per entree for in Chicago. But compared to the tripe available at Atlantis, it was like ambrosia!

Jul 10th, 2002, 04:02 AM
kristy

Really disappointed to hear about the Powerboat Adventure. I was planning to do that this fall. Can anyone else shed some light on this? Maybe tigerlily just got unlucky and it's not always that crowded? Thanks.

Jul 10th, 2002, 04:27 AM
sharon

Check the cruiseship schedules.
These tours are sold from the cruiseships and can get very crowded when several ships come into port on a single day. (Other tours have the same problem, Blue Lagoon and Atlantis can get overwhelmed with outsiders)
Best days' are Monday/Tues. Worst are Friday and Saturday.

Jul 10th, 2002, 04:39 AM
Sharon

Actually, I rechecked the schedule.
Tues, Friday and Saturday are the worst days. Sunday and Monday the least.

Jul 10th, 2002, 08:43 AM
kristy

Should the cruise ship schedules really affect the Powerboat Adventure? On their (PA) site, they say the boats leave at 9am and return around 5:30 - 6pm.

I've gotten the impression that most cruise ships come into port too late or leave too early for passengers to go the powerboat excursion.

Anyone?

Jul 10th, 2002, 09:01 AM
scubagirl

Recent Nassau Cruise Ship Schedule
---------------------------
Disney Cruise Line
Disney Wonder
Arrives Fri 8:15 a.m./ Departs Fri 11:00 p.m.
----------------------------
Imperial Majesty Cruise Line
Thursday. Friday, Sunday.
Arrives 8:00 a.m. / Departs 6:00 p.m.
-----------------------------
Norwegian Cruise Line
Arrives Sat 7:00 a.m. / Departs Sun 6:00 p.m.
------------------------------
Carnival Cruise Line
Fantasy
Friday: Arrives 8:30 a.m./Departs Sat 7:00 p.m.
-----------
Tuesday: Arrives 6:30 a.m./Departs Wed 7:00 p.m.
-------------------------------
Fascination
Arrives Sat 6:30 a.m./Departs Sun 8:00 a.m.
------------------------------
Royal Caribbean Cruises
Sovereign of the Seas
Arrives Fri 10:30 a.m./Departs Sat 3:00 a.m.
-------------
Arrives Tues 6:00 a.m./Departs Wed 1:00 a.m.
Majesty of the Seas
Tuesday and Saturday
Arrives 6:30 a.m. / Departs 11:59 p.m.
These are not set in stone and change from time to time, but you can see, there are MANY arrivals/departure times that allow for daytrips. Also, there are some tours that run SPECIFICALLY for the cruiseships and adhere to their particular schedules.
Hope this helps!

Jul 10th, 2002, 09:07 AM
kristy

I think I'll try for a Monday

Jul 13th, 2002, 03:21 PM
Sally

We went with 2 other couples in early December last year (2001). We did the Powerboat Adventure and the ride was very rough - but!!! due to it being off season we enjoyed their little island and views along with the ride. Would I go again. NO but I am glad that I did. Stayed at Sandals Bahamas and had an absolutely wonderful time and massage.!!!

Jul 13th, 2002, 05:49 PM
Kristy

Sally:

How's the water temperature in early December there? Warm enough to swim? I see alot of mixed opinions on this. I'm from Missouri so I'm not used to bathwater warm like someone from Florida might be, for example. So hopefully we can handle it. Thanks.

Jul 13th, 2002, 05:58 PM
scubagirl

The water temp is still warm enough in December to enjoy swimming. You may get a lite breeze on the beach, but you the water is very refreshing.
You can really swim year round, if your from the north. At time the water is a bit brisk, but I've never found it too cold to take a dip.
If you are diving, you may need a skin or shortie.

Jul 14th, 2002, 05:51 AM
rich

tiger:
Glad you enjoyed Compass Point, maybe you can provide a little more insight on your stay there-which "hut" were you in, who is their new customer service person at pool and beach.
We may go back to the Point for our 4th trip next year and love the place because we can really unwind there.
During our last visit one year ago we took Powerboat Adv. and tend to agree with your review. I found the fish feeding to be too theatric. I found the "white" crew members to be rude. Food was okay but you need to get in line early OR they will run out. On the whole we enjoyed the trip BUT would take Barefoot Sailing next time to Rose Island much more relaxing, more intimate, much better snorkeling.

Aug 3rd, 2002, 04:40 PM
tigerlily

Rich, I'm sorry it took me so long to reply and I hope that this information is still useful to you.
We stayed at the hut called "The Reefs" over the 4th of July weekend. We found the breeze, the sound of the water lapping the rocks right outside, the covered porch to be totally delightful. Yes, it was hot, but I don't think we would have paid the additional money for one of the larger "huts." The eating areas are larger but they don't seem to provide as much privacy. In fact, one is directly in the path of the trek to Love Beach.
We didn't spend a lot of the time by the pool so I'm not sure about who is responsible for that area now. But I would say that the women who worked at the desk, all of the waiters, bartenders, etc. were extremely curteous, welcoming, helpful. My only complaint as far as service was that the driver that they use was quite sullen and always seemed to be drinking. Maybe he was just sipping water but it was a little unnerving.
In any case, I do recommend Compass Pointe and I think that the new management seems to be doing very well with customer service.
best,
tigerlily