Search

Somerset or Sands?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2009, 08:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Somerset or Sands?

Hi all,

Been cramming on my research of T&C the past few days for a relatively spur of the moment trip.

My wife and I are going to T&C with our 2 year old this month and are down to either an English Cottage at Somerset or a one-bedroom oceanview at the Sands. We were leaning towards Sands because it sounded more "kid friendly" but now I'm reading that Somerset is fine if you have a toddler as well.

I'm sure either place would be great - just trying to figure out which place would work best for us as a family.

Thanks for your suggestions!
Old Jan 4th, 2009, 04:22 AM

Someone on Trip Advisor answered your question very well...Somerset would be my pick!
Old Jan 4th, 2009, 04:42 AM

If the English Cottage has a full kitchen, then Somerset, but if you're picking a lockout room, my opinion, not worth the price, as there is no view, and just a glamorized hotel room. Don't get me wrong, Somerset, no secret, is my favorite resort in the world.

Somerset and Sands are not in the same catagory so if you can do Somerset, the Somerset wins.

Both are very kid friendly, the pools are phenominal. Somerset has an excellent bed mattress. Somerset has ultra luxury without pretention, so you can be casual and laid back, with the luxury. Sands is a great family resort, but it's like comparing a Doubletree Hilton to a Four Seasons.

Somerset has a zero entry pool which kids love. Sands has winding shallow pools, and a small circular kiddy pool. Again kids love it, but 2 year old my not be tall enough for the winding part.

There will be alot more kids at Sands, but there will always be a couple of families with small children at Somerset.

My 7 year old loves both, but always says "Somerset is my favorite place in the world." She probably takes after me! ;-)
Old Jan 4th, 2009, 07:05 AM

I would agree that Somerset is definitely your best choice! If you ever go just you and your wife, try the Regent Palms. It is my favorite! You will love T&C...I can't wait to go back!
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 06:10 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your helpful (and fast) responses! As some of you reading already know, I posted to another forum as well and the responses on both have been unanimously in favor of the Somerset over the sands (granted they are in different classes of hotels).

I've gone ahead and booked for the Somerset via VRBO. We're excited about the trip and are hoping to come back to post additional praise for the property.

Blamona, have you used the babysitting service at the Somerset or elsewhere? Thinking we might try for a romantic dinner one night. Also, I think someone once posted a link to your site of trip reports but I can't seem to retrace my steps to it. If that was you, would you mind posting it again?

Thanks again!
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 06:59 AM

GLAD YOU PICKED SOMERSET...BUT, WITH VRBO DO YOU GET MAID SERVICE, FRESH TOWELS, SHAMPOO, ETC AND BREAKFAST? JUST NEVER USED THEM !
CURIOUS??
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

No maid service (unless we spring an extra $50/day), no breakfast (continental breakfast isn't that big a draw for us anyway), no pickup at the airport (we were planning on renting a car regardless). Doubtful about the fresh towels and shampoo but we'll see. We vacation summers at a beach house on the Jersey shore and are used to doing a couple loads of towels and bringing our own toiletries stuff so no big loss there. So, yes some of the pampering stuff is lost but the cost savings is significant enough(couple hundred *less than the Sands* and much less than the published rates) that we don't mind.

This is our first time using something like VRBO. I am little nervous about it and hoping that the rest of the service we would normally get through the resort does not suffer for it. I've seen numerous positive posts re: vrbo rentals so I am optimistic it will all work out.