Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

The Sands,Ocean Club West, Pt Grace, Royal W. Indies with young teens?

Jan 9th, 2010, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

We are planning an 8 night trip to Provo in July/August with two boys12 and 14 yrs and need help selecting a hotel. I've narrowed the search to the Sands, Ocean Club West, Point Grace, Royal West Indies or Regent Grand which will fit our pocket book for either a one bedroom suite or two studios. We are looking for a nice beach and pool area that the kids will enjoy and hopefully meet up with some other kids their ages. We would also like beach/pool service for food and drinks along with lounge chairs/umbrellas. We are definite foodies too. I think all the hotels I've selected have a great beach and are close to various restaurants. A clean, quiet and comfortable room is also a must. I've read many favorable reviews on all these properties so I'm hoping that one of you may know some of the finer points that can help us decide on which is the best property for our needs. Teen friendly environment with a good array of actitivities may be the deciding factor. Thanks for the help!
Jan 10th, 2010, 05:16 AM

I had thought that Point Grace was a good bit more pricey than the others. I have stayed at RWI and it is very nice but probably the quietest of all all (except maybe Point Grace which I am not all that familiar with except that it is a very pretty resort). I would think OCW or Sands would be the best with two young teens. I prefer the Sands over OCW as it has recently been refurbished (at least parts of it). OCW looks a tad tired. The pools there are really nice, has screened in porches, wonderful central location and great restaurant on-site overlooking the beach where they have live entertainment some nights. But if you are able to get Point Grace for the same price, I would definietly consider that as well though I do think it caters more to honeymooners etc.
Jan 10th, 2010, 05:48 AM

I would pick The Sands...great location, other kids for sure. Point Grace is beautiful..has a sign by the pool" quiet please" not sure if kids would like that! Regent Grand-beautiful, new , great pool, not sure about beach service, small bar by reception desk area, no restaurant on site--many to walk to though. Ocean Club & Royal would be 4th -5th choices..Sands I think !!
Jan 10th, 2010, 06:27 AM

I would say Sands. Regent Grand and Point Grace, the latter especially, are more couple-y.
Jan 14th, 2010, 07:55 AM

I agree with all of the above. I stayed at Point Grace and kids would be bored at this resort as it is definitely geared more for couples looking for a quiet, relaxing vacay, but if you and your spouse ever decide to go back without the kids...this would definitely be the place to stay!