Search

Some questions for PR&Vieques trip

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2006, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some questions for PR&Vieques trip

Hey all,
My gf and I are arriving in San Juan around 8pm on a thursday. for that one night, we're planning on staying in OSJ. After settling in, looking for a good restaruant for some truly tasty food.
- ive heard of dragonfly and parrots club - anything else that would be recommended?...preferably latin food

The next morn, we are flying into Vieques and staying at the martinaeu bay resort.
- ive heard about the bugs that bite at beaches....is it certain time of day only and only certain beaches?

- what are some beaches suitable for good snorkelling. Not like a guided tour, just venturing out by ourselves

- I vaguley rmemebr reading about a kayak tour to a tiny island just a stone's throw off Vieques...Is it the snorkelling that is the main attraction at that island? Worth it? And can we jsut rent kayaks and go ourselves?

- Any experiences to share with Karl's Mtn Bike tours? Consdering that as an option for Sat morning.

- Which guide would you recommend for the bio-bay tour? WE prefer to kayak out there rather than sit on a big boat.

- About the weather - can anyone share their experiences for weather around end June?

- Are reservations normally required for the restaurants on teh island?

Thanks all for your input!

Old May 18th, 2006, 04:22 PM
ccc

Our only bad experience in Vieques with bugs is Green Beach at sunset. Don't do it! Otherwise, bugs on Vieques are a non-issue. Ironically, Green Beach is (in my opinion) the best place to snorkel from the beach. There are some really great spots there, and I would encourage you to search for other threads here for more details. Other beaches, where you are likely to be the only person, are really spectacular. Weather in June should be fine. Have fun!
Old May 18th, 2006, 04:23 PM
ccc

Re Green Beach, just go before mid-afternoon.
Old May 20th, 2006, 10:52 AM

I agree that Green Beach in the morning is lovely, but get out before the su even starts to set!

There is a small reef at Navio; swim to the left as you face the water. If you're a strong swimmer you might be able to reach Orchid Beach that you'll be able to see as you "turn the corner" away from Navio. I have also heard that snorkeling can be good off of the Rompeola naval pier on the north side of the island when the weather is calm, but haven't tried that.
Old May 20th, 2006, 10:53 AM

Oh, forgot... the best snorkeling I had was at Blue Beach.