guanica or vieuques

Jun 9th, 2010, 05:56 PM
Original Poster

guanica or vieuques

Which is better for a week with kids in June? Is there anything to do in Vieques besides the beach? TIA
Jun 10th, 2010, 12:03 PM

I've only been to Vieques but apart from the beach there's plenty to do.
We've walked, shopped, cooked, eaten out, and been horseriding (along the beach and up into the hills) but the number one thing to do is visit the biobay.

You could also go fishing, take a boat trip or explore the island by car or bicycle.

That said Vieques has beautiful beaches and I could go there and spend ALL my time swimming, snorkeling, beach combing and picnicking on the beach.
Jun 12th, 2010, 12:55 PM

Sassy,

Where do you like to snorkel? Do you like a tour or go on your own? You may remember that you have answered my questions on my itinerary. We plan to come in and do a snorkeling/kayak (possible) mangrove tour in the day and biobay at night. I can get a jeep for a day to go around but we are very close to Sun Bay so I wonder if I even need it. What do you think?

To the original poster, I don't know the one island you mention, but I believe the biobay to be a very interesting experience.
Jun 14th, 2010, 05:39 AM

On Vieques our favourite snorkeling spots were Blue beach and Red beach. We also liked Secret beach as we found many sand dollars there.
We prefer to snorkel from shore without a tour generally as we can then do so at our own pace and move on if we don't find the conditions to be good.

We were not so lucky at Green beach but I know many others have enjoyed good snorkeling there (the water was less clear for us probably due to weather).

You will need a car to get to all these beaches.

SunBay is a lovely beach with gentle waves but it is the most populated beach on the island (very close to town). Still you can snorkel around the pier and see plenty of fish.
It's just not as pristine as some of the other less visited beaches.
Navio has great wave action and is good for body surfing.
You can walk to this beach from town (further along than SunBay but it's a fair old hike).

Again, IMO a car is essential for Vieques unless you are just taking a day trip.
Jun 14th, 2010, 10:53 AM

Thanks -- is a car or jeep needed to get to the beaches you mentioned?
Jun 14th, 2010, 11:58 AM

I think we had 4 wheel drive but the roads had been improved by our second visit maybe more improvement since..

So, a regular car would be fine for most of the beaches I mentioned but the roads are dirt track or gritted and potholed in parts so it takes longer than you think.
Green beach had a long stretch of pot holed dirt track so check with the car rental company or check Tripadvisor as there are active posters that have been to Vieques more recently than I have.