Whitehouse or Royal Plantation?

May 2nd, 2006, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

Whitehouse or Royal Plantation?

We are planning our 2 week honeymoon for July in Jamaica. We are in our late 20's and have been really busy over the past year. We really have no intention of sightseeing or leaving the resort and just want to relax, spend time together, and maybe do some water activities.

We have a few requirements:
1. all-inclusive (food and alcohol-we just want to get it all out of the way and not have to worry)
2. room with beach view and balcony or veranda that we can relax on
3. nice beach with good soft sand
4. pools that aren't too crowded
5. good choice of restaurants with GOOD food

We have never been to a Sandals resort before and I really don't know if we are the "Sandals type." Lots of reports here have talked about this but no one ever defines what that is! We have looked at both Sandals Whitehouse and Royal Plantation and they both seem nice and are in our price range. But now we are stuck and don't know which one to choose! Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks for all your help!
Jess
May 2nd, 2006, 02:53 PM

I will recommend Couples everyday of the week. Go to www.couples.com take a look at each of the Couples resorts. Swept Away in Negril and Couples Sans Souci....... for a honeymoon both fit your criteria.

They include a bit more than Sandals does, and are most always less.

We toured the grounds of Whitehouse, while a beautiful resort, it is in the middle of nowhere!!!! It had more of a disneyesque feel about it (Epcot in particular) as everything is in countries..rather than a Caribbean feel.......
May 2nd, 2006, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your reply. We don't really mind that Whitehouse is in the middle of nowhere--we aren't the types who will leave to go out much at all! In fact, the only reason we are really considering Royal Plantation is because we aren't sure if we are the Couples/Sandals type of people. We are going on our honeymoon and being private people who haven't had a good vacation together in years (I am in medical school and he is working on his MBA), we would like it to be a trip just for us with as much privacy as possible. Is Couples or Sandals the place for us? Thanks for all the advice!
May 2nd, 2006, 03:34 PM

Butch Stewart's daughter runs RP which
is smaller than Whitehouse and more upscale in tone. Whitehouse is out in the country and more self-contained.
The charms are greater outside the
resort (Pelican Bar, Black River, YS Falls, exploring with a private non-Sandals guide). The distance from MoBay is about the same, a tad longer for
RP in Ochie. Restaurants at RP -- and in Ochie (Evita's, Cafe Aubergine) are better as well. Jet skiis, snorkel trips, sailboats at both. COUPLES might suit your age range more. JAMAICAN INN or ROUND HILL might also go on your shortlist. Check luxurylink.com for periodic auctions of topflight places
above and beyond Sandalsland.
May 2nd, 2006, 03:46 PM

From what you are describing, wanting to just be alone..... Couples Swept Away would be perfect for you....They cater to romantics wanting to be alone and just together... Go to the Couples site and look around.... pop in on their message board and ask some questions, if not your style then go with plan A.
May 2nd, 2006, 04:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for recommending Couples Swept Away! We just looked at their website and it looks great. How was the food there?
May 3rd, 2006, 05:02 PM

We actually stayed at Couples Negril, but my niece stayed at both Couples Negril and Swept Away, they preferred Swept Away for the very reasons you mentioned that you are looking for. The alone time and romance feeling. Did you look at eveything that is included? The Catamaran/Booze cruise is a ton of fun, takes to to a place similar to Rick's Cafe, called Pirates Cave, you can cliff jump and swim in caves. They offer water skiing, snorkel trips on their boat, glass bottom boat all included, not many all inclusives include those types of activities. They also offer Red Flag Beach Service for drinks, and Continental Breakfast in your room. All included........... All premium liquor.. Well you get the idea.

The food at Couples Negril was great, there are buffets of course but in addition to that you have your choice of a couple ala carte restaurants the ones at CN were GREAT, especially the upscale/reservations one..... The Beach grill was great too for lunch. Plenty of variety, if you are still hungry or did not like something, go somewhere else......... you will not go hungry, there are only like 2 hours that food is not available at the resorts. I believe that is from a.m. to 7 or something like that.

Swept Away just added a 3rd pool with a swim up bar which just opened in April...........

I'm a Couples freak now!!!! We loved CN....... and from everything I've heard along with the new additions at Swept Away it is fabulous.

We stayed at a non AI on 7 Mile Beach our first 2 nights in Negril and walked down to their beach, although I've heard erosion has taken alot of it away from the hurricanes, it is still a very beautiful stretch of beach.

Keep researching, but I don't know how you can beat what they offer for the price.
May 3rd, 2006, 05:11 PM

One more quick piece of advice. Go to www.tripadvisor.com type in the name of the resort and read some of the reviews. Realize it is IMPOSSIBLE to please everyone, and you will always see occasional bad reveiws for any resort, however, anytime there is a negative one the management at Couples usually responds. They are best known for their service, although realize you are not in Kansas anymore and once your plane lands you are on Jamaican time which in general is much slower than here, however, you will ALWAYS be treated with smiles and respect and lots of courtesy....

Both Couples Negril and Swept Away consistently rank in the top 10 Negril resorts out of nearly 100.
May 21st, 2006, 05:18 AM

Whitehouse is a beautiful resort, spent 2 weeks there and cant wait to go back. Great staff awsome oceanview and good food.