Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Big Island-Hapuna Beach Prince or Fairmont Orchid?

Mar 8th, 2006, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

Which hotel has the best snorkeling on site--the Fairmont Orchid or Hapuna Beach Prince? They seem to be in the same area, but not on the same beach, right? And would you recommend one over the other in general? Thanks for your advice!
Mar 8th, 2006, 06:29 PM

I don't know about Hapuna Beach but we enjoyed snorkeling at the Fairmont Orchid. It was a great experience to be able to snorkel with the sea turtles who would come right into the lagoon and surrounding area.
Mar 9th, 2006, 04:45 PM

another vote for the Fairmont Orchid. we spent a week there this past August and the snorkeling right off the small beach on the property was great, especially first thing in the morning. lots of turtles!
we did check out Hapuna Beach: it is gorgeous! It's a long stretch of sand as opposed to the Orchid's small cove. don't know what the snorkeling is like there though. the Orchid is a wonderful property!
Mar 10th, 2006, 11:16 AM

There is excellent snorkeling at the Hapuna at the far north end of the beach, right in front of the hotel. There's a little sandy cove, you head out around the point to the right. We were there last summer and had nice flat water and saw several turtles. The water is exceptionally clear.

Check out TripAadvisor for hotel reviews. We fell in love with the Hapuna, partly because it wasn't as expensive as some of the other Kohala hotels.
Mar 11th, 2006, 04:50 AM

I think your better snorkeling would be at the Orchid as the beach at Hapuna (where the Prince is) can have a rough shorebreak on windy days where as the beach(very small in comparison) at the Orchid is quite sheltered by a lava outcropping. However, if I were to choose one over the other my vote goes to the Prince. It is a little worn and a little further up the coast (3 minutes) than the Orchid but Hapuna beach is incredible, we spent 75% of our recent vacation on this beach and we were staying in Waikoloa(5 minutes south). When we went to explore, I also liked how laid back and charming the Prince felt. We had dinner one night at the Orchid ($240.00 in their casual beachfront restaurant)and it just felt stuffy. It was very quiet, very reserved yet it wasn't too spread out so I felt a little on display and out in the open. Even the lagoon beach is kind of a display, look at me area as we were able to closely watch a couple trying to take a private sunset swimm while all of the restaurant looked on. Just wasn't right for me at this point in my life, fyi as you asked for one hotel over the other....