Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Single woman, mid 30's, looking to travel alone at end of August...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29th, 2011, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

I'm looking for suggestions on where to go at the end of August - I will more than likely be travelling alone, and am more interested in the lazy, beachy type of vacation. Not very adventurous (by myself anyway), and would like to probably keep pretty much to myself, maybe going off of the resort to shop a little, but that would be about it. I live in Ohio, so I will more than likely be flying out of either Dayton, Cincinnati or Columbus airports. Planning on a week, and my budget is around $3K. I have already been to the Bahamas, so I don't really want to go again. I have heard great things about Turks & Caicos, Bermuda and Jamaica, however, I know nothing about how the weather is that time of year with hurricane season, etc. I am also not dead set on the Caribbean, but figured that would be the easiest, given where I live. I am by no means a world traveler, but have many places and things I would love to experience - mainly Europe, but have no desire to go there by myself! I have been to Cancun, Bahamas on a cruise, Las Vegas, NYC, San Diego, Chicago, Dallas, Charleston, Myrtle Beach, Virginia Beach, many parts of Florida and on many boating trips to different lakes.

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated!!!
Old Nov 29th, 2011, 10:11 AM

End of August in the Caribbean alway has a risk factor attached as it is in the middle of the hurricane season. You say you have done a cruise to the Bahamas, would you consider a one week cruise in August? There is a Carnival cruise that runs year round and visits Puerto Rico, St Thomas, St Maarten, Barbados and Aruba, which you can pick up either in Puerto Rico or Barbados - a great way to see a few islands and do your own thing. Otherwise, Jamaica pretty much invented all inclusive resorts and, hurricane risk aside, is a great place to visit with everything included, easy to get to and an out-of-resort trip easy to arrange. Barbados is also very easy to get to and has a lower hurricane risk being further south. Limited all inclusives, many many beachfront properties where you could just chill on the beach and do a tour or shopping trip when you feel like it. Same applies to Aruba which has the lowest hurricane risk. Can't help you with Bermuda or the TCI - sorry.
You can find some more info here that might help sway you in your decision:

http://www.destinationcaribbean.net/

PS. The sea is usually fantastic in August too, unless there is a storm around.
Old Nov 29th, 2011, 10:36 AM
KVR

I would avoid cruising during hurricane season. Even with trip/hurricane insurance it will not cover missed ports and a bad vacation.

Turks and Caicos would be ideal for what you described, but again in August, I would be concerned weather wise. We used to go to Mexico in August/September, but got tired of watching to see if our trip was going to be cancel or re-routed and then when we did go most everything closed or torn up by the weather.

I would suggest Barbados or Aruba. Will more likely have better weather. They do have good beaches, dining options and activities if you are interested. I love AI hotels, but those destinations are not good AI options.
Old Nov 29th, 2011, 11:44 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
The 'problem' with your question isn't being single, or 30, or traveling solo... it's going to the Caribbean in AUGUST!!

Why don't you want to go to Europe alone?

Honestly I found that a whole LOT easier (traveling around to major cities like Amsterdam, Paris, Venice, etc.) and much more comfortable, than I would be going into the Caribbean solo.
Old Nov 29th, 2011, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Hi, Suze,

My birthday is in the last week of August, and if I take that week off, then I also get the following Monday off for Labor Day. I might consider going to Europe solo, but I would rather have more time than just a week, and more money than just $3K... But, like I said, I am not the world traveler, and you could very well know something that I don't! If so, please educate me!
Old Nov 29th, 2011, 12:36 PM

heck I'm no expert, but I have been to Europe 5 times. Each trip I was alone for at least part of the trip. You'd have to price airfare, but I could definitely spend 1 week in Paris for $3,000 easy (and I'm all the way in Seattle). Just figure $1,000 each for airfare, hotel, everything else. To me there's just soooooo much more to see and do in cities of Europe, good public transportation for getting around, safe, fun, I never feel out of place being alone.

I've been to the Caribbean 6 times, only one trip I was alone for part of the time. Honestly it just wasn't that much fun or comfortable for me (Jamaica).

I go to Mexico (Puerto Vallarta) all the time solo (20+ trips) and am extremely comfortable there. But August is likely horrible weather (no hurricanes, but HOT and humid, rainy season) there too.

It's the month you are traveling and the weather conditions that I think makes both the Caribbean or Mexico, well, not where I'd choose to go at that time.

Any interest in Hawaii?
Old Nov 29th, 2011, 06:50 PM
Original Poster

Hi, again, Suze!

I have heard that Hawaii is gorgeous, and I wouldn't be adverse to going... Just heard that it was extremely expensive, which is why I didn't have it on my "list". Maybe I give myself an earlier or later birthday present?
Old Nov 30th, 2011, 06:46 AM

That is a misconception. Hawaii does not have to be expensive in my experience. Just depends what you see and do once you get there.

I like to go to Waikiki/Honolulu solo (have been there 4 times). It costs me the same as going to Puerto Vallarta Mexico overall. I have to spend a bit more for the hotel room in Hawaii but actually I spend less on food, drinks, activities. There is good public transportation on Oahu so you don't need a car. Plenty of free activities and reasonably priced places to eat (I get a hotel room with a small frig or kitchenette and eat some meals from the grocery store sitting on my lanai).

Sure if you change your month of travel, that would open up possibilities a lot and include being able to go to Mexican beach towns or a Caribbean island.
Old Nov 30th, 2011, 08:18 AM

You have $3K and a week in August? Nice, but the reason it is the Carribean's low season is because the weather isn't great there then AND the weather IS great elsewhere.

Europe-Absolutely. Compared to 20 years ago it is much easier to get around there now since the EU and euro have integrated the money and transportation and also accidently caused english to become much more common. If it were me, and wanted to relax, I might try to book a smaller hotel, inn or B&B so that I would become known and looked after a bit rather than the crowds of a big hotel where people might be more bold about hassling a single woman. Consider splitting the week between Paris and Biarritz for some culture and some sun/beach, for example. I'm not sure you could get a european cruise for that price given it is their peak season, but you could check.

In the US, consider Martha's Vineyard. Plenty of beach lounging available and easy bike rides to get some activity in as well. Very slow paced placed and for better or worse, being New England, no one will speak to you unless you speak to them first. (Of course unless they are from New York in which case they'll give you a big happy "How you doin?" before getting back to their Times. Like a big puppy dog and perfectly harmless.)

The number one happy trip I have heard from people recently is the classic Alaskan cruise. It may not be your cup of tea, but I've yet to meet anyone who didn't like it.

Oh to have $3000 and a week in August...
Old Nov 30th, 2011, 11:48 AM
KVR

I can tell you from just doing an Alaskan cruise in September it cannot be had for $3,000. The single supplement rate on a cruise is just obscene not to mention the prices for the excursions in each port.

I have found the best time to go to the Caribbean is in May before Memorial Day and the first or second week in November/December. The weather is usually good, the prices are good and the crowds are down.

Suze, is the only person I know who can go to Hawaii and not spend as much as most people, but she tends to travel unlike most people actually like to. (No offense Suze, it's not a diss) I guess if you are going alone some of the expeditures can be cut out or down. In my experience Hawaii was the second most expensive vacation that we have taken with Alaksa coming in first. The least expensive is Mexico, which is why we usually go every year for the last 10 years.
Old Nov 30th, 2011, 02:04 PM

I'll agree with that. I don't travel like most people probably like to. I vacation like I live in the place. And yes often I am solo. But even when I go with a friend the cost comparison holds between Mexico and Hawaii just I spend a bit more regardless. When you're with a friend you tend to eat out more often, go to bars more often, etc.

In Hawaii I mostly just go to the beach every day. I ride The Bus around. I take my Zumba Fitness classes locally. Hang out by the hotel pool part of the day. Go to the Farmers Markets, the public parks, hear free music, watch free dance shows. Head out for sunset most day and have a glass of wine somewhere fancy beach-front. Then back inland for an inexpensive meal at a food court or Korean BBQ or sit on my own lanai with cocktails and something to-go.

What adds up and makes Hawaii expensive is that most people want to experience high-end restaurants, sunset catamaran cruises, helicopter rides, renting a car, shopping, etc.

I do basically the same thing in Mexico. Just 'live like a local'.

My facts are correct because keep track of my expenses so know that from Seattle to either Waikiki or Puerto Vallarta, it is the same, and that I can do 10 days either place for approx. $1500.
Old Dec 1st, 2011, 01:44 PM

Hey there,

I read all the replays and I came with a new option, what do you thing about the Island of Curacao? This place have a European stile mixed with a Caribbean feeling, so if you are wondering between going to Europe or the Caribbean then you have a perfect place where you can have both experiences.

Even better, you don’t need to worry about hurricane season because the island is below the hurricane belt. August is a great time to go, and if you want to know more about what to do on this island let me know, I can tell you everything about it. This island is full of museums, and you can also relax on the beach if that’s more your choice.

For shopping there is a Floating Market that brings all their products from Venezuela, and you can also find great Super Markets from Holland.

I hope you find this helpful
Old Dec 2nd, 2011, 07:03 PM
Original Poster

Hi, LisaEvans!

You are the second person today who has mentioned Curacao to me! I was actually pretty set on Barbados, and staying at the Coral Reef Inn, but I might have to look more into this island...

Can you recommend a few hotels? Do you recommend all inclusive? I would rather stay at a smaller hotel than a huge, family-oriented resort.

Thank you so much for the suggestion, and I look forward to hearing back from you!
Old Dec 3rd, 2011, 05:19 AM
KVR

We went to Curacao in 2009. We stayed at the Lions Dive, which has regular hotel rooms and apartments. We booked a regular room and was upgraded to a 2 bedroom apartment. The resorts has 3 on-site restaurants and several more within walking distance. The Sea Aquarium is also within walking distance.

Curacao does not have the typical long stretches of white sandy beaches. Instead, the beaches are coves and inlets mostly located on the West side of the Island. The sand is made up of crushed coral, so water shoes are a must. Most people tend to rent a car to get around. They do have a van/bus type system, but seemed not as reliable as a rental car or grabbing a taxi.

Curacao does not have good options for AI. There is Breezes, which is very family friendly and gets questionable reviews, the Marriott, which is also family friendly and Kura Hulanda, which is very expensive.

I think your choice of Barbados is a better option.
Old Dec 6th, 2011, 03:10 PM

If you're considering Europe then I'll throw Buenos Aires into the ring, think weather would be better in the month of August. I know air is expensive (ideal destination for award tix) but once I arrived, the conversion rate (4 USD:1) made everything absurdly inexpensive. There r great apt rentals to be had in the central Palermo district for a few hundred dollars (per week) and you could do some organized tour to visit Iguazu Falls. Would you be Interested in taking tango lessons?

Shopping (particularly shoes and purses) and food in this city were exceptional. Not sure about the solo part as this one was with friends and i don't recall if I saw women traveling solo (a very common sight in Europe....) But I've had friends go solo to Europe in Aug and they said the heat made it difficult to do anything and too many things were closed since it's a traditional vaca period. That being said, I loved my solo trips to Paris....
Old Dec 7th, 2011, 06:38 AM

fishee, Buenos Aires is a wonderful suggestion. I keep hearing great things (and seen photos in travel magazines) of the Palermo district especially.

I've been in Europe in August twice. Venice and Paris specifically. Yes it was hot but I didn't find it stopped me from doing anything. I also didn't run into any closures. You would probably want AC in your hotel or apt.
Old Dec 10th, 2011, 01:45 PM

I spent a week in Paris by myself a few years ago and had a fabulous time (hubbie, daughter, friends, sisters couldn't get away and I had use or lose leave). It was my third trip there (first was with hubbie, second with daughter) and definitely won't be my last. Never felt that anyone was looking at me funny because was by myself. Fat bike ride to Monet's garden, ballet, museums, cafes, private walking tour, group walking tour, markets and grocery stores for souvenirs to bring home, Hamman (Turkish spa), etc. Walked, walked and walked. I don't speak French but speak Spanish and did just fine. Called home every night to talk to hubby. My mother gave me a great hint--take a notebook with you and jot down notes about things that I wanted to tell her and others about my stay. It got me over my initial anxiety about eating alone, but, found that lots of women do that when out shopping etc. After a few days, found that I was forgetting to pull out that notebook! August can be warm so definitely get AC.
Old Dec 12th, 2011, 02:49 AM

Okay, I've been to Caribbean almost every August for the last 20 years and had plenty of luck. Don't know if I just know how to pick them! ;-). I have also traveled the world alone, including Caribbean and Europe.

August is actually my favorite month in Caribbean. Everything is cheaper. The weather seems to be calmer, water tends to be brighter.

A couple of observations:

It is hurricane season. On the chance one does brew, you usually have 5-7 days to see if going in your direction and make plans. When the there is no hurricane, the weather can be perfect, better than Dec and Jan that command higher prices. Just get travel insurance for peace of mind, but it's minimal.

Curaçao while below the hurricane belt, can still get one! Hawaii can also get one, and august can be rainy. What's my point? Weather happens. So don't let the thought of weather that may or may not happen deter you.

Europe is nice, south America is nice, but it sounds like you need an island!

So the places you tagged, Bermuda is peak season in summer, as to gets chilly in winter, so you don't see them lacking tourist just because it's hurricane season.

Barbados is a big island. Has a little bit of everything. Be warned, they are vends on the beaches, and traveling alone you may feel approached to often.

Aruba and Turks are flat dry islands. Aruba is a more party place, you'll meet tons of people. Turks is quieter and more destressing, all about the beach, one of the best in the world. My first trip there was so nice, I ended up buying a small home for future semi-retirement.

So what's my point! Go back to plan A Caribbean in august. Get insurance for peace of mind. Enjoy!
Old Dec 12th, 2011, 04:21 AM

I agree with Blamona..we have been to Turks & Caicos in August twice and LOVE it. Less expensive, stilll busy for off season, excellent restaurants and an easy island to travel alone.
Old Feb 19th, 2012, 08:38 AM

As much as I love Europe, skip it this time. By the time you recover from jet lag and spend another day at the airport waiting for your departing flight, your trip is over If you want to relax and reduce your time travelling, why not consider Cape Cod? You can fly into Boston or Hyannis, rent a car and within a hours you can be in your own rented cottage getting ready for the beach. Granted these are New England beaches and not the waters of the Caribbean, but the Cape offers many activities for the single person: day trips to Martha's Vineyard and/or Nantucket, drives along the coast to check out the towns, afternoons at the beach, lots and lots of restaurants and cafes, and it's not very far from Newport RI if you want to see the Newport mansions. You can even rent a bicycle and explore the awesome bike paths on the Cape. The weather is great in August - warm in the day and (usually) cools down in the evening. There is some risk of hurricanes, but not to the extent of the Caribbean! Search websites such as: homeaway.com, weneedavacation.com, or vrbo.com to find reasonably priced house rentals. If you want more info on areas to stay on the Cape just ask!! I hope this helps. Oh, and it is a very safe and friendly place.