Caribbean in August?

Old Apr 17th, 2013, 07:53 PM
Original Poster

Caribbean in August?

My son is getting married in August and seems to have his mind set on Caribbean/Ctrl America for the honeymoon. I'm a coastal beach guy (grew up in FLA) but I've never ventured south for this late in the summer. My gut says 'No' due to heat, bugs, hurricanes - but I've never been in the area during this time. Any thoughts? Looking for advice as well as recommendations. (Posting in another forum as well)
Old Apr 18th, 2013, 04:10 AM

Hi theshers. Congratulations to your son and welcome to Fodors.

Can you help us out with a little more information? I know he's traveling in August. Yes, that's an iffy time to travel to the Caribbean. Make sure they have hurricane travel insurance. What kind of place are they looking for? The islands are so different. Are they looking for luxury? Solitude? Hiking, snorkeling, diving, zip lines, mountains? See, there's something for everyone but we need to know what they are interested in. Oh, and the most important thing, what is their budget and does that include flights?
Old Apr 18th, 2013, 05:10 AM
KVR

The worst heat we have ever encountered was Key West, FL in a July. Mexico in August was almost as bad, but not quite. Never experienced bugs anywhere we have been. We've been to Mexico a few times and the Bahamas in an August/September and always had issues with hurricanes that came about a week before our vacation dates. We got tired of watching the weather channel. Even with trip/hurricane insurance, it will not make up for a bad vacation, honeymoon or wedding. We stopped going to the Caribbean in those months for that reason.

If they go to one of the more Southern Islands, like Aruba, Curacao, Bonaire, Barbados, or St. Lucia, the risk of getting caught up in a hurricane or tropical storm is less, but still not a guarantee.

I saw your post on the Central American forum also. I'm not sure, but I think August is part of their rainy season. We've been looking to go in a November as I understand it's more dry then.
Old Apr 18th, 2013, 05:16 AM

Most places in the Caribbean will be more comfortable than Florida in the summer. This is because ocean temperatures are lower, and the trade winds blow constantly.
Odds are against a hurricane in a particular location, but certainly a possibility. Hurricanes, at any time, are rare the farther south you go. Safest areas are Barbados and on to the south--St. Vincent & Grenadines, Grenada, Trinidad/Tobago, Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao, Panama, Costa Rica.
Old Apr 18th, 2013, 10:51 PM

I've travelled to the Caribbean in summer months for at least 25 years and the only time our travel plan has to be altered was last October, where we cancelled a trip to the Bahamas.
Old Apr 19th, 2013, 09:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. They are more activities-oriented, not so much on the luxury side - but it is their honeymoon so they'll want a nice place. Have mentioned Roatan as one destination.

Even with trip insurance, having to redirect for a honeymoon would be a nummer. Through out any ideas - appreciate the reponses!