Late August : Cap Juluca or Cuisinart ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2005, 11:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is late August a period too dangerous (Hurricanes, wind...) to spend an holiday in Anguilla ?
In August, to avoid the wind, better choose the Cap Juluca's beach or the CuisinArt's beach ?
Thanks
Old Jan 28th, 2005, 05:15 AM
ALR

Cap Juluca's beach is a little better protected in their bay. But the weather is not the biggest risk you face by going late in August. Some of the best restaurants may close shortly after Carnival, so be prepared to plan ahead and eat at the resorts more than you might otherwise.
Old Jan 28th, 2005, 06:32 AM

We have been to the US Virgin Islands in Feb, April and August and had no problem in August. It actually rained less than the others. It's alittle more of a risk, but I really wouldn't worry about it. We are going again this August
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 08:46 AM
kud

We were told by a couple of Anguilla natives last trip that the Hurricane season was their favorite time of year. Supposedly very beautiful weather when not "hurricaning", and even then, accordign to them, it's only for a couple of days, and then back to beautiful weather. One woman told us that it's the absolute best time to come. Don't know if I'd want to risk a couple precious days of vacation time holed up waiting for things to blow over thoug. I'm sure the decrease in tourists might also have something to do with them liking that time of year too...
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 09:02 AM

Late August is NOT a good time to be anywhere in the Caribbean.

I can't tell you how many times we've had days and days of our vacation ruined because we used to go over Labor Day.

Just this past year, we missed the hurricane that hit Caymans only by a week during our stay on Jamaica.

The chances of getting hit the last week in August and the first half of Sept. are the highest of any time during hurricane season.

Pick one of the ABC's - Aruba, Bonaire, or Curacao - or go another time.
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 10:36 AM
Sunnyboy

Kud is correct, if there are no major storms in the area the weather in Anguilla in late August can be a delightful. The problem, however, as others have pointed out is that many of the restaurants for which Anguilla is noted may be closed for the season. Also, if I'm not mistaken CJ is either closed or getting ready to close at that time (check directly with the hotel to find out actual closing date). I'm not sure about Cusinart but think they follow a similar schedule. We've been to CJ the week before it closed and found the staffing levels were reduced, some of the amenities were not available and food service was not as good as when we were there other times during the year. Keep in mind that in 2004 August was one of the most active time for Caribbean hurricanes in recent memory. While there are exceptions to every generalized statement I would avoid going in late August especially if this is that "long awaited vacation you've really had to save up for". If you do decide to go consider purchasing travel insurance which provides coverage for trip interruption in the event of a hurricane.