Reload this Page >

Side trips from Punta Cana

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 04:35 PM
Karen

Hi : We are two couples going to the DR for the first time, staying at the Occidental Flamenco, Punta Cana. Has any one done any of the excursions to Saona or Catalina Island? What would be some of the most wonderful side trips out of Punta Cana? We realize this is a sun destination and that is the main reason for the trip rest and relaxation but we would like to do a couple of excursion to see the area. Thanks for any ideas they are greatly appreciated. Karen

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 05:37 PM
Diane

We went to Catalina Island and it was an entire day trip but we got to see the countryside (2.5 hour bus trip) to La Romana where we took a catamaran to dive/snorkel off the island. The island is beautiful and the snorkeling is great. If you dive, there's a "wall" dive off the island. Bring loads of mosquito spray for the island because they don't spray at all there and the mosquitos are quite bad. The trip was very well worth it, however!!! Another great day trip is either the Outback Safari or the Bavaro Runners. Both companies take you up into the mountainside where you see plantations of coffee/rice paddies/sugar cane, etc. Extremely interesting and loads to see. For lunch, we went to a ranch where we got to horseback ride a bit and play volleyball, etc. After that we visited a wonderful beach and played beach volleyball before heading back to the resort. Along the way back, we "shot" each other (several open back jeeps following each other) with waterguns and had a blast. Go to this website for reviews of these excursions plus others:<BR>www.debbiesdominicantravel.com<BR><BR>P .S. If you golf, the golf courses there are absolutely beautiful!!

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 03:38 AM
pam

We were in Punta Cana several years ago. After 5 days we wanted off of the resort.We were bored silly. We took an all day trip to D.R. It was interesting, the trip included lunch, some history of the City, shopping etc. It is about a 3 hour tour by bus. We booked it through Apple tours. Your resort will have info on this tour. Have fun.

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 03:40 AM
pam

Sorry. I am not awake as of yet. Correction it is about a 3 hour drive one way to Dominican Republic. The tour is from early a.m. till late in the p.m.

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 06:21 AM
cdt

To Pam:<BR><BR>Since you were already in the Dominican Republic, I suspect you're trying to say that you took a trip to Santo Domingo.<BR><BR>Must have made quite an impression on you.<BR>

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 07:16 AM
Karen

thanks Pam for the info. I had thought Catalina Island tour would be nice,we like to snorkel. Would love to hear from anyone who had done the Saona Island tour to compare. Thanks again,Karen

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 07:59 AM
pam

Well the third time is a charm so they say. (I am on my second cup of coffee.) Yes that was it, Santo Domingo!! Well let me say this as far as impressions are concerned. I found the people friendly, but I for one would not return. Primarily I like to visit new places I have not been too, and I was not so impressed that I would have to return. No, cannot say I was. But for a week of R and R it is a fairle decent place for the money. That is all I can say.