Should i stay or should i go?

Aug 8th, 2005, 06:34 PM
Original Poster

Should i stay or should i go?

Ive never been to the bahamas before and Im thinking of going to the bahamas next week. (Aug 17-22)
I am aware of the fact that it is hurricane season. This concerns me and is the ONLY thing from preventing me from going. Should i be concerned? Or just take the chance and go? Or is it chances are the weather will be fine? Any thoughts, advice, or tips is greatly appreciated! Thank You!
Aug 8th, 2005, 06:56 PM

You cannot let hurricane fears stop your caribbean travel in the fall! I got married at the end of august a long time ago and honeymooned in the Bahamas! Now, since you have still not booked it, you can look ahead and see if anything is brewing. The chances of a storm hitting you next week on your vacation I am sure is slim. Buy insurance and go and have fun. We flew home in a hurricane from a week of beautiful weather on our honeymoon!
Aug 8th, 2005, 10:34 PM

If you go to www.weather.com or any of the sites that track hurricanes you will see there is nothing brewing in the carribean now that is heading anywhere near the Bahamas.

Have a great time.
Aug 9th, 2005, 03:25 AM

My wife and I flew into Nassau, Bahamas and stayed at the British Colonial for a day, to fly to San Salvador to do reef fish surveys. A hurricane was approaching San Sal, and the eye was going to go right over it. Still, we took the last plane out of Nassau, and spent 14 hours at our dive place, experiencing gusts up to 115 mph. The swimming pool's 8 feet deep end had only several inches of water after the hurricane blew through. The point is, they're neat to experience if you enjoy somewhat intrepid journeys. Robert
Aug 9th, 2005, 06:09 AM
mm

>Should i stay or should i go?

"If you go it will be trouble. If you stay if will be double." - The Clash

mm
Aug 9th, 2005, 07:43 AM

we are at the ocean club right now and the weather is beautiful..the rain clouds come and go with lightening and thunder occasionally, but it usually passes by in no time....the sun is out every day and it is gloreous...the sun is brutal, you must take shade every once in a while...it is hot here and my butler tells me it is even hotter in september...ive always traveled in august and ive never had a problem with rain....at night the lightening shows are amazing and if it rains it us usually over quickly...hope this helps.
Aug 9th, 2005, 01:50 PM

Go...You could fall and hit your head tomorrow or get hit by a car.You only go this way once around.
Aug 10th, 2005, 06:25 AM

Albee; I take it you're at the Ocean Club on PI? I like your description of the storms that rush through the islands. I sat for hours one night, watching a long line of thunderstorms from a bence atop Orange Hill. The sky lit up for miles. Quite a 4th July-like display. The usual storms hit and leave within 20 minutes, and the sun seems more searing than usual after storms. Maybe, because of the rays intensifying when passing through moisture still lingering in the air? I don't know. Have fun at OC...maybe Robert Wagner will show up again; that's his favorite hideout. dk6203- just keep track of the hurricane intensity; if the winds are sustained around 150 mph, then don't go. I can vouch that 115 mph hurricane winds are almost fun to be in. Robert
Aug 10th, 2005, 07:26 AM

Robert: that sounds like fun in concept. My husband would probably disagree. He spent a tense night at Concordia Estates in St. John (stiff tent structures set up on a hillside) one August. A tropical depression was blowing through and he said he slept with his shoes on in case he got blown out of bed and had to make a run for it. Ahh... life never seems so precious as when it's endangered. LOL
Aug 10th, 2005, 07:48 AM

Wow; being in a hurricane or any sizable wind in tent structures certainly would not be fun. Another thought; we were on San Salvador during the hurricane I mentioned. It's a tiny island, with no "cluttered" city streets or development with gargage cans, road signs, patio furniture, or debris that could be picked up and sent flying, like in Nassau or PI. On laid-back and undeveloped San Sal, the only thing we saw flying was ocean froth picked up by the wind. Before the storm, I removed a couple of decorative conch shells and a few coconuts the wind could have blown into our motel. I guess in Nassau or PI, it would be best to stay inside during a hurricane! Robert
Aug 10th, 2005, 02:56 PM

on the night that we ate at cafe martinique which is quite an amazing place we were entertained by lightening storms for two hours. the restaurant has ceiling to floor gorgeous windows and it was amazing...the crescent moon rose the other night and was beautiful and we saw a shooting star the night my husband and i dined on the beach alone with tiki torches for our 25th anniversary...the ocean club is a magical place...they do everything right, they made our night very very special..the atlantis is glorious at night....
Aug 10th, 2005, 05:48 PM

Yes, it is hurricane season. But what happens if you stay at home and the entire week a hurricane doesn't strike? You are going to sit there and think about all the great dining you missed out on and the cocktail you could have been having at this very moment. Hope this convinces you. Go.
Aug 10th, 2005, 06:20 PM

mm,
>Should i stay or should i go?

"If you go it will be trouble. If you stay if will be double." - The Clash

LOL..I was thinking the same thing when I read the title of this thread.You always seem to have a good sense of humor
Aug 10th, 2005, 06:45 PM

dk6203- Don't wait for a right decision concerning Mother Nature; she only forgives once, if at all. So. When you're dealing with Her, when you come to a fork in the road...take it! It may help to assume the absolute worst that could happen, then plan what you would do. For example, in Nassau, they have sturdy shelters for people to go to. So, know where they are...just in case. Momma Nature gives us only one life and one sunrise each day (althought sometimes we wish it could rise twice after some decisions!), so don't wait for certain circumstances to make up your mind (like no hurricanes in the forecast). It's best simply to act. If you decide to act, you've decided to live. Go for it, girl!!! Robert