Which island in the BVI is good for families?

Aug 10th, 2005, 05:12 AM
Original Poster

Which island in the BVI is good for families?

Is there an island in the BVI that is especially good for families with children? I've read a couple of posts, some a bit old, and my initial take is that Virgin Gorda is a good island, but I'm clueless. Any information would be most appreciative.

Thanks!
Aug 10th, 2005, 05:23 AM

It's always difficult to respond to general statements like "especially good for families with children" since you don't say how old your children are or what paticular interests you have as individuals and as a family. Obviously families with toddlers have different requirements than families with teenagers so it would help if you could give us more information about your family. All that being said Virgin Gorda is a terrific island, it has many fine beaches (some with very calm waters), very good off-beach snorkeling, a variety of resorts and rental villas, access to plenty of water sports, places to hike, a few local shops and a decent amount of restaurants.
Aug 10th, 2005, 05:57 AM

We are planning a trip to Virgin Gorda (6 adults and 4 kids). We've been there on a day trip from tortolla and fell in love with the island. Quiet/laid back with gorgeous beaches. We plan on renting a villa on Mahoe bay (most kid friendly beach for renting a villa). We figure with so many kids a kitchen is a must. Beware that to get to VG it will likely take atleast one connectiona and a ferry ride from tortolla unless you want to take a smaller airline like sunshine liat etc from puerto rico which would fly into the small VG airport....
Aug 10th, 2005, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

A_Traveller: Sorry about that. The ages range from 13 years to 2 years.

Thanks.
Aug 10th, 2005, 09:01 AM
Sunnyboy

Here's another vote for Virgin Gorda. It's safe, easy to get around and offers a wide variety of beaches that will suit your 2 year old as well as your 13 year old (and any in-between).

Aug 11th, 2005, 04:20 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the suggestions! I'll start looking at information specifically on Virgin Gorda.

Thanks!
TR
Aug 11th, 2005, 04:47 AM

They're all good! One year we rented a villa at Long Bay on Tortola. My daughters (preteens at the time) loved riding around looking for snorkeling beaches, having breakfast at the North Shore Shell Museum, getting their hair braided in Road Town, hiking in the mini rainforest. A funny memory is going over the tiny toll bridge to Beef Island: the toll collector was asleep in the booth, with a branch attached to a basket sticking out of the booth. They loved sneaking the money into the basket without waking the attendant (success!). All the little adventures add up to a wonderful vacation - it really doesn't matter where you are, just that you're together exploring IMHO.