Short NY eve Getaway?

Nov 13th, 2003, 09:01 AM
KMP
Original Poster

Short NY eve Getaway?

My husband and I are looking to take a brief (3-4 day) VC from kids, etc. and were thinking about the Bahamas - however, after reading many traveler feedback/reviews about hotels, we're concerned where to stay - I haven't found one hotel that everyone generally finds in good shape (not looking for a palace per se, just RELIABLE, upscale on beach (prefer non-inclusive as those we've been to have had not-so-great food). Not worried about nite-life, just great beaches for swimming and fun, good food, good accomidations. Also, can anyone prepare us for what the weather should REALLY be that time of year?
Many thanks!
Nov 13th, 2003, 10:30 AM

In Nassau, try the Sheraton Grand on Paradise Island. It shares a beach with Atlantis without all the crowds.
You may be out of luck for New Years Eve though, they book solid.
British Colonial Hilton is also a great hotel (not a resort), but the beach is small and private.
Of course, the Ocean Club would be my pick, but it's somewhat expensive.

Another choice would be the Radisson at Cable Beach, or in Freeport, Our Lucaya.

There's always the out-islands.

The weather is iffy. It can be perfect, highs in the high 70's/low 80's, or if a cold front comes in it can be rainy and cool. It's very similar to So. Florida.
Nov 13th, 2003, 11:10 AM

Check out Compass Point (www.islandoutpost.com) Brightly colored cottages right on the water, excellent restaurant. My first choice would be The Ocean Club, but my second would be Compass Point. Good luck, Diane
Nov 13th, 2003, 05:07 PM

I don't think you'll find one more in line with your thinking than Our Lucaya, on Grand Bahama Island. Immaculately maintained, on the beach (three hotels - 2 Westins and a Sheraton), 7 1/2 acres of beach, and several beautiful pools (those at Westin Breaker's Cay are heated). Check out www.ourlucaya.com or my web site at www.fortunecity.com/oasis/bahia/443/index.htm with over 400 photos of GBI, many of Our Lucaya and the surrounding area.

Danny
Nov 13th, 2003, 06:20 PM
caribtraveler

I second what Fass1 said.
My husband and I did 3 nights/4days in October (4th wedding anniversary/left 19-month-old with my husband's sister) at the Westin at Our Lucaya on Grand Bahama Island. We had a wonderful time. Another Fodorite suggested it to me after I asked for some location advice. She had recently gone there for a long weekend with her husband. It was a great recommendation.
I posted a trip report. Do a search for Lucaya or my screen name and you should find it.
By the way, the Westin is in great shape because it's been recently renovated.
I don't know about the weather at time, but it was sure nice in October!

Nov 14th, 2003, 01:10 PM

I may be the Fodorite that caribtraveler is referring to. We stayed at Our Lucaya and were pleased. Either search my name or Our Lucaya. Good luck and happy planning!! Threehearts
Nov 14th, 2003, 01:24 PM

The Westin Breaker's Cay, by the way, is in good shape, not due to renovations, but because it's a brand spanking new 10 story building. The Westin Lighthouse Point and Sheraton Reef Village hotels are renovated, but so extensively you'd never come close to recognizing them if you had seen them before. They spent over $400 million setting up Our Lucaya, which partially opened (Reef Village) about 4 years ago but not fully until two years ago.

Danny
Nov 14th, 2003, 01:56 PM

Hi KMP,

Weather in the Bahamas will be hit or miss that time of year. Might be hot, or could be chilly...

Have you given any thought to Mexico?
Possibly Cozumel...Great weather, beaches, snorkeling...not too far...

Food for thought.