Sheraton Cable Beach Resort

Mar 5th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Original Poster

Sheraton Cable Beach Resort

Hello,

My husband and I are thinking of spending our 5th anniversary in the Bahamas. The Sheraton Cable Beach Resort has gotten some very good reviews on tripadvisor, and there is a good package available with air.

We would be going Sat-Thurs right before Memorial Day weekend.

Maybe those who have been either to this resort or to the Bahamas at all can help here. We typically stay in smaller European style hotels when we go away, and have never been to the Bahamas. This would really be our first "big hotel" experience. We really just want to relax, we don't want to rent a car, or go looking for little cove beaches. We don't want any musueums, we just want to relax, have some good food choices within walking distance, be on a beach where there are already chairs and towels for us, have activies nearby if we want them, and be able to walk to eat unless we decide to take a taxi somewhere.

That being said we really aren't "party people" (we're in our mid-40's) and while we appreciate family time, we don't want to be overrun by kids either. One particularly well written tripadvisor review said the Sheraton was pretty low key, with activities for kids, but not crawling (no pun intended!) with them either, and not a lot of "loud" guests.

Any thoughts on this choice given our "parameters"? I approach this with some tripidation as I usually look for little, kind of out of the way "finds", but I'm ready to make the plunge (again no pun intended) and try out a resort, and really have a VACATION without thinking too much! Any thoughts appreciated!
Mar 5th, 2008, 07:03 PM

This wouldn't be my first choice for you. This particular hotel is popular with families, and it's not one of the top properties, though I've read that it is better now than it has been in recent years. I honestly believe you'd have a better time by spending a little more money and heading over to Provo in the Turks & Caicos. There are a lot of really nice properties on Grace Bay that would suit you better, and not all of them cost an arm and a leg and are more conducive to two adults looking to have a nice, relaxing time.
Mar 7th, 2008, 07:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Doug,

Thanks for the feedback. I looked at T/C and it is just too expensive. Now I'm looking at Puerto Rico, the prices for the same time frames from Boston are phenomenal, although I read that May can be "rainy season"...but I can't get over the package pricing on places like the Ritz and Intercontinental!

Decisions decisions! I'll be posting on the Puerto Rico forum in no short order...thanks again.
Mar 7th, 2008, 07:41 PM

The best large resort is probably the Wyndham Rio Mar. In San Juan itself, I really like the Courtyard Isla Verde, but it draws a large family contingent. Hotels in San Juan itself are pretty expensive, but if you look outside of San Juan, the prices drop a lot. Rincon might be a good place to look. Or Vieques (but there are no on-beach resorts there until the W opens later this year).

Have you looked at Aruba? You might get a good deal there. Remember that it's not just airfare but the combo of air and hotel that will save you money.

Good luck.
Mar 8th, 2008, 01:56 PM

It's an expensive hotel, but try La Concha in Condado. It's a great new hotel in San Juan. I mentioned it in another post and just realized that I didn't put it on my list of recs for you. It's a great new property ... brand-new.
Mar 10th, 2008, 09:30 AM
al

Visited Cable Beach in December '07 and I'd advise you skip it as the area is in the midst of a total makeover. Nassau Beach Hotel is closed, Johnny Canoe is in limbo, the Wyndham is being remodeled, and although the Sheraton is now supposedly finished it has all the tropical ambience of an American office park. Seriously. Look elsewhere.

(Note, as of 3/10 Caesars has pulled out of the Baha Mar redevelopment deal so the future of this once lovely area is totally up in the air.)

Search this Thread