last minute, where to stay

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30th, 2006, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi all, thinking of a last minute trip to PR (in November). I'd like to stay in a nice resort, but with some access to San Juan (for a tour, or airport etc). I was hoping that since it's November we might get some "deals" on some nice places. Any recommendations? I was looking at the Westin Golf Resort, but seems to be around $400 p/night? Anyway, I like the idea of luxe/romantic but hoping for some better deals..
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 09:29 AM

Resorts in Puerto Rico, especially those near San Juan, are year round destinations so you don't normally get the advantage of lower Shoulder Season or Off-Season rates. You could try getting some type of package deal through American Airlines or one of the other major carriers that service Puerto Rico, through your Travel Agent or on one of the on-line travel sites like Expedia.com.

With a little bit of research you should be able to find something in your particular budget range if you are relistic in your expectations. Resort and hotel prices throughout the Caribbean are all relative and there's really no such thing as getting 5-star accomodations for 3-star prices.

Good luck in finding the right resort for your needs.
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 11:40 AM

While I've only done it once, have you considered Priceline? I did it for a last-minute holiday-weekend (President's weekend) trip and really got a great deal -- El Conquistador for $100/night. The category (Resort) and region (Rio Grande/Humacao) was likely to include only El Conquistador and the Westin Rio Mar, so I figured it was a chance worth taking.

Granted, we got a room at El Con that was in need of renovation, but at the rate we paid and given the fact that we didn't spend much time there, I had no complaints (I only mention it as a heads-up).
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

thanks! what is the best "region"/area to be in for luxury resort, yet access to San Juan? (since it's a quick trip, plus would like to see Old San Juan).
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 12:05 PM

You should probably visit www.biddingfortravel.com; it's a great website for providing guidance on how to have the most successful Priceline experience. I believe there is a zone for San Juan proper, and the "Resort" category will get you on the beach. It seems like a lot of the successful bids have lately been for the Hilton Caribe, so be sure to check out the reviews as well as the strategies.

FWIW, when we stayed at El Con, we rented a car and drove (it's a bit over an hour in traffic). In order to fit in a day in San Juan -- which we always like to do -- we just left the resort early and drove in to SJ, spending the balance of the day -- before our 6-ish flight -- in Isla Verde and Old San Juan.