September Honeymoon

Old Sep 5th, 2007, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
September Honeymoon

My fiancee and I are planning our honeymoon which is Sept. 2008. We both instantly fell in love with St. Lucia, and were really interested in the Sandals resorts there.

I know that its hurricane season as well as the rainy season, but I just want to ask how bad that month is in St. Lucia. I have heard mixed thoughts about it, and I dont want to go there if its going to rain for out entire 10 day trip.

If it is going to be rainy, are there any other similiar islands which have similiar resorts that aren't as bad that time of year?

Any thoughts?
Old Sep 5th, 2007, 11:03 AM

First off, you have to understand that St. Lucia is a "lush" mountainous island with tropical rainforests. By definition this means the island gets more rain than flat, arid and scrubby islands such as Aruba, Bonaire or Curacao. That said, rain on St. Lucia, like on most mountainous islands, usually comes in the form of the typical tropical showers which are brief (5 to 15 minutes 2 or 3 times a day) and very widely scattered. While it is likely to rain somewhere on the island for sometime during any given 24 hour period, it's not all that unusual for it to be raining in one area and there be bright sun 1/4 mile away. Rain occurs more often at night than during the day and it is more likely to rain up in the mountains rather than near the shore. Rarely does the rain last more than 10 or 15 minutes and rarely do the showers put a damper on anyone's vacation.

Because September is Hurricane Season (as it is throught the entire Caribbean) there is always the possibility that a tropical wave or major storm could pass over or near the island. If this were to occur you might get a day or two of unsettled weather conditions but afterwards everything reverts back to normal. Unfortunately there's no way to predict when or if a tropical wave, troprical Depression or storm will occur. Typically you only get 4 or 5 days advanced notice.

The thing is, if you like St. Lucia than I wouldn't let the "weather" be a factor in your decision as you'll run the same risk on just about every Caribbean destination during September.

Old Sep 5th, 2007, 03:30 PM

It's your honeymoon...go where you would love to go. You won't regret it. So what if it rains a bit, there are other things to occupy your timel St. Lucia is a beautiful island! Book and enjoy..this is a once in a lifetime event. You shouldn't settle for second choice. We went to St. Lucia in October and loved it. All the best
Old Sep 6th, 2007, 03:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for getting back to me so soon. You guys are doing a good job helping decide to go to St. Lucia.

By any chance has anyone been there during September/October? And if so, how was the weather?

Also, any other suggestions on some tours or things to do there? We want to stay at an all-inclusive, but I think we want to venture outside the resort some to experience what the island has to offer.

Thanks!
Old Sep 6th, 2007, 04:34 AM

Don't just "think" about getting off your resort, DO IT. We stayed AI in St Lucia and were off resort for many excursions and even dinner a couple of times. I would recommend the land and sea tour, jeep safari, or just hiring a taxi for the day to take you around to all of the sites. Have a look at sunlinktours.com for some ideas. I would slao check out the Castries Market for some trinket shopping. If I were to return, I would go to The Anse La Raye Fish Fry on Friday night.

The others have given you good info about the weather in September. No one knows for sure and it is peak hurricane season. I would get some trip insurance. A_Traveller gives a link to a website for weather trends for specific months. I think it is weatherunderground.com or something like that.
Old Sep 6th, 2007, 08:23 AM

You can check historical weather data for St. Lucia at the following sites:
www.weatherbase.com
www.wunderground.com

On the latter enter one of the airport codes for St. Lucia (SLU or UVF) in the search box then scroll down to "History and Almanac", click on September and you be able to research the actural past weather conditions for every day during September for the past 10 years. You'll find answers to all your weather questions.

In short, weather on St. Lucia during September will be "Tropical".
Old Sep 6th, 2007, 10:32 AM

It is clear you are looking for reassurance on the weather conditions and that is simply not possible to give.

I love St.Lucia and it is a perfect place for a honeymoon. However, there is no way I would risk it for hurricane season.

During Dean, there were tons of folks who were so concerned about their honeymoon in Cancun and they did not have the option to cancel and get a refund as most all travel insurance policies do not cover acts of God. So, if there is a storm, how would you react? Would you want to (1) take a chance and go anyway, (2) lose all your money including non refundable airfare (unless the airline cancels).

Grenada, very close to St Lucia, is still feeling the affects of the last hurricane that tore through there.

Think carefully before moving forward. If it were me, I would choose differently for any vacation, but even more for a honeymoon.
Old Sep 7th, 2007, 07:17 AM

We have stayed at Sandals St. Lucia before and part of what we disliked about it was the rain. When we go on vacation, we are usually going with the intention of wanting good weather. When you have about 300 people looking for space because it's raining and they're complaining, it's not a lot of fun. You don't really want to sit in your room, that isn't the ambiance that you flew all that distance for and to pay all that money.... It's the only resort I can ever remember being in where I stood at the bar and waited for it to open. LOL.