Search

weather - st lucia

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 04:53 AM
melinda

weather - st lucia

I am interested in vacationing in St Lucia in Aug, Sept, Oct, or Nov 2003. I know this is hurricane season. Would it be wiser to go in Nov - lesser chance of hurricane? How hot will the temperature be? Any info is appreciated.

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 06:04 AM
IslandGirl

Melinda, you seriously may wnat to reconsider. I was in St. Lucia in October of this year and what I didnt' realize is along with hurricane season comes the RAINY season. We had TONS of rain, and the people there the week before us had awful weather for an entire week straight. Personally I dont' think it's worth the risk. We weren't able to do the excusions we wanted to do. <BR><BR>When it wasn't raining it was very hot and humid. <BR><BR>They haven't had a real hurricane in a long time, but the rainy season of 2002 brought one side of the island 60 inches of rain and 160 inches on the other side!!!<BR><BR>Rain every day puts a damper on everything! This time of year you may be better off heading somewhere like Aruba or Curacao where they are well known for drier weather.<BR><BR>Good luck!<BR><BR>IslandGirl<BR>

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 11:31 AM
nadine

you definitely might want to reconsider. it is a beautiful island but at that time of the year it will be rainy season. that island has a rain forest so that should tell you how much it rains! when were there in september/october, it rained a lot. but they were all short heavy bursts of rain. it wasn't too bad, but you should think about it.<BR>if i remember correctly, st. lucia gets the most rain out all of the islands (or comes close 2nd).<BR>

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 05:47 PM
carol

We recently returned from St. Lucia. We traveled there from November 25 to December 2. We had no or very little humidity except for one day when there was a shower early in the morning. There may have been a brief shower early in the morning or evening several other days, but there was never a day that we weren't able to spend by the pool or on the beach. I know someone who went to Aruba in November several years ago on their honeymoon and had to leave the island because of a hurricane like storm that normally doesn't hit the island. I visited Aruba two years ago in November and had great weather. I think traveling the later part of the hurricane season is your best bet. St. Lucia is beautiful. Have a great time if you decide to go.

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 07:43 PM
GM

Melinda, you will love St. Lucia (we do!), but I don't know that I would recommend it for travel in Sept. &amp; Oct. especially. Maybe early Aug.....mid to end of Nov.(?)<BR><BR>The thing is, hurricanes are not the only problem - tropical storms AND like poster 'IslandGirl' noted - very rainy periods - can make the vacation a bummer too.<BR><BR>Hubby is a diver and likes to track the weather via NOAA Weather (Nat'l Oceanic and Atmosph. Admin); this might help in researching past data of St. Lucia in the time frame you want to go.<BR><BR>If at all possible, the best time to go (and not in high season when the rates are up) is from April thru like, mid July; April &amp; May being the best.<BR><BR>Hope the above helps, and hope you DO get to go St. Lucia.

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 02:51 PM
Dan

Melinda,<BR><BR>My wife and I went to St. Lucia in late Aug early sept of 2002 and we had rain the first couple of days early in the morning and then late at night. After that the weather was perfect, though humid which you expect, similar to Florida. Yes it is the hurricane season but what these people don't tell you is that St. Lucia is far enough south that if you get anything it will be a tropical storm much like they did last November and then it brushed the southern part of the island.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 06:07 AM
Mary

We were in St. Lucia twice. The first time in the north at the end of November and the second time in the south at the end of August. Typically, the south gets more rain. Maybe we were lucky on both trips but we didn't get as much rain as we expected. A few showers here and there but they only lasted a few minutes each.