Seeking info on Grenada, esp. LaSource

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2003, 03:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are leaving in one week and would love to hear from anyone who has been to Grenada, especially from those who have stayed at LaSource. <BR><BR>Regarding LaSource: We are supposed to have a waterfront room; any ones to request or avoid? What is appropriate evening/dinner dress? Is there any tipping expected or appropriate? Is there good snorkeling from the beach? Do they take snorkelers out on trips or only divers? <BR><BR>On Grenada in general: Where is the best snorkeling and how do you get there? Is a trip to one of the waterfalls worth it? How and which one? Has anyone done a day trip to Carriacou? Is it worth it? Suggestions on things to do and see? Thanks. <BR><BR><BR>
Old Feb 16th, 2003, 08:10 PM

We had a driver take us to Grand Etang reserve and we saw a fall there. We enjoyed it. We really enjoyed also our trip to the nutmeg plantation. We loved the downtown ara- be sure to go on saturday morning when the whole town turns out for market day. We stayed at the Spice Island Inn and we loved every minute of it. Wish we had the money to go back!
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 01:05 PM

A trip to the falls are worth it I agree with the previous post about The Grand Etang, Carriacou is great you can go on a bananna boat and it is pristine.
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 12:14 AM

I also posted on the TTOL forum in response to this same question there;<BR><BR>Hi,<BR>I stayed at La Source in November of 2001. It's a lovely hotel on the beach with amenities and staff that make you feel totally relaxed and pampered. Imagine, lying on the beach, placing an order for your drink and having it brought to you without moving from your spot.<BR><BR>Generally the crowd was 30's and up, European clientele, with a few exceptions such as myself.<BR><BR>The dining experience was mostly a la carte for dinner,which was great, with a bar b que on Friday nights that was buffet style. Breakfast(excellent) and lunch were also buffet, and afternoon tea was included as well.<BR><BR>Around the resort most people wore the robes that were provided to go to spa treatments, swimsuits (with cover up at the restaurant) or yoga/spa wear. For dinner they dressed up a bit; guys wore long sleeved shirts and trousers, women wore little black dresses, sandals, capri pants and nice tops.<BR><BR>The beach is nice, but it does show some effects of the storm that hit Grenada a few years ago. There is some snorkeling to be done there and the resort also offers snorkeling trips.<BR><BR>The spa treatments were good;the aromatheraphy massage and reflexology were fantastic, however I found the facial was very basic, albeit relaxing and enjoyable.<BR><BR>You will enjoy the tai chi, yoga,mediataion and relaxation classes.The staff at La Source are fantastic, they are always pleasant and will not hesitate to chat with you or go out of their way to make your stay enjoyable.<BR><BR>The bodyguards are responsible for your daily physical activites and one guy was once an olympic longjumper.You can do fencing, archery,golf, aqua aerobics, tennis, scuba diving,water ski ing, sailing..all included. There are also orgainsed daily activies such as walks or bike rides.<BR><BR>The piano bar is very nice(never closes until the last guest leaves!) all drinks are premium brand and they have a live band on Saturdays; disco on Sunday.Also, a steel orchestra stops by on Sunday's at tea time.<BR><BR>The resort is fairly secluded; to walk out to the main road will take about 15minutes,so I suggest you do some tours and get out to see the rest of the island. The hotel shuttle goes to town on Saturdays and there is a tour company at the hotel where you can book all your tours.Try the day tour to the Grenadines and an Island tour.<BR><BR>If you would like to view my travelouge for photos,take a look here:<BR><BR>http://www.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/147c9/ <BR><BR>There is a GREAT review of La Source at the Grenada Message board with alot of GREAT tips includng one on rooms:<BR><BR>http://grenadaexplorer.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard311/ikonboard.cgi?s=9de0b8ed698256424de8ea80dfb596b3;a ct=SF;f=5;st=0<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 02:02 AM

Just a comment that differs from what Island Babe reported. When we were at LaSource a few weeks ago few people dressed up at night. The men wore short sleeved shirts, and the women were mostly in slacks or casual skirts/dresses, not little black dresses. Also, I don't think the beach showed the effects of any hurricanes. It was fairly small but attractive. Have a great time.
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 02:20 AM

Hi Sunshine,<BR>if you look at the photos of the beach at the website for La Source or even on the brochure, you will see that it looks much wider than it is in reality with lots of palm trees. After the storm ( not hurricane !!) some of the beach was washed away and palm trees uprooted in additon to some shelving as you enter the water. The hotel has constructed a breakwater with some boulders and this has helped to protect the beach from too much wave action and has made it much nicer for swimming and snorkeling.<BR><BR>I visited in November of 2001 and yes, there were some people dressed in short sleeved shirts and summer dressed for dinner; but the majority were dressed as what can be termed as &quot;elegantly casual&quot; and that included some &quot;little black&quot; dresses .
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info everyone. Postings on other websites raised a few more questions. <BR><BR>Someone said all the sun lounge chairs by the pool are gone (I assume spoken for) by 9AM. What about on the beach? Are there lounge chairs, and is there a shortage of them?<BR><BR>Another issue raised was difficulty in getting spa appointments because they book up very quickly for those staying 7 days or less (as we are). Any advice on that? Any comments on the spa treatments?<BR><BR>Any recommendations of a day trip to Carriacou or Petite St. Vincent? Thanks again.
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 12:40 PM

Hi,<BR>you are going in what is considered &quot;peak season&quot; so I am guessing the resort would be very well occupied. Even in November 2001, two months after September 11th the resort was abput 80% occupied.We had no problem getting sunloungers on the beach neither at the pool; but again the time of year we went was not peak season.<BR><BR>I would take the advice of emailing the resort and asking for an early appointment to see the nurse on the day after you arrive; you will get the treatments you want at the time you want it; but if you want to co ordinate with your partner that may be a problem.<BR><BR>Remember, aromatherapy massage requires you stay out of the sun for 2 hours so most people do it late afternoon but it is worth it!!Try the reflexology and salt loofah scrub.<BR><BR>If you have the time and extra $$ (around $220.00 US) do the day tour to the Grenadines;you fly to Union Island from Grenada then board a catamaran or schooner where you are taken to Mayreau, Tobago Cays and Palm Island for snorkelling. This is an all day tour with breakfast, lunch and drinks included.<BR><BR>Enjoy!!