Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Biras, Peter Island... at all stuffy? If so, suggestions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20th, 2006, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking forward to a long-awaited and much-deserved break with my husband to the Caribbean in January. We haven't been away without the kids in nine years, and it may be quite some time before we do this again... so I want to make this as perfect as possible.

We do not want anything pretentious. Biras and Peter look lovely, and the seclusion is very appealing. However, I have to admit that I get a bit concerned when I read that - after 5PM - men must wear slacks and collared shirts, and ladies "appropriate resort attire". I can understand and appreciate that requirement in the dining room; however, it seemed as if they were referring to the resort as a whole. If my husband and I want to walk the grounds in the evening in shorts, is that a no-no? Could someone clarify that for me as well as express if there is any inkling of a haughty manner about these places? Although - within reason - money is not a concern (up to $1200/nt), I do not want a suffocating level of service. This is my wish list:

* beachfront bungalow/suite OR very nice, hillside accomodations with spectacular views... and within a shot walking distance of the beach. Prefer individual unit as opposed to one unit up - one unit down. No hotel-like resorts. Exquisite furnishings are certainly not necessary, but comfort and privacy are. With that said, I have to say that Jade Mountain on St. Lucia looks breathtaking. My husband, for some reason, does not like St. Lucia, however.
* great food... but again, it doesn't need to be elegant.
* activities and/or day trips available. Although we love solitude, we want to be able to do explore, windsurf, snorkel, etc.
* we do not want a party-like atmosphere at all. Quiet, serene, relaxed.
* wonderful beach - private and uncrowded

We're not set on BVI, so any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We have ten days, so - depending upon the ease of tranportation - it would also be fun to split the time between two spots.

Thanks!
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 06:56 AM

Those are two very nice resorts offering exactly what you are seeking so I doubt you'd be disappointed.

The Dress Code at both places is during the evening hours when you are having dinner or drinking cocktails in the main public areas of the resort. Appropriate resort attire means khakis or slacks with a collared shirt (long or short sleeve - golf shirts are fine) and closed toe shoes (socks optional) for the men, a simple sundress, blouse and pants or blouse and shirt with appropriate shoes (dress sandals are OK - not cheap flip/flops) for the ladies. This is not what is consider "stuffy" but just a way of making the total resort experience something special. You are certainly free to wear more casual attire if you are walking around other parts of the resort grounds in the evenigs.

As for the level of service, it is attentive but not overbearing. The staff is there to insure you are taken care of in a plesant and friendly manner. You won't have anyone hovering over you and fawnning over every little thing. Service is generally understated but if for some reason you find it too much for your lifestyle simply let the maitre'd or server know you'd like less attention and they will gladly oblige, after all it's your vacation and the staff wants to please you in anyway they can.
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 01:59 PM

I stayed at Peter Island 2 1/2 years ago and loved our vacation. I found it quiet, pretty, and not at all stuffy. If you want peace and quiet in a lovely surrounding PI will do it for you.
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 02:04 PM

Actually many restaurants throughout the Carribean require such attire for dinner. I don't think its being stuffy. Its simply their way or tradition. Its not only the Carribean that does this. In Fiji we saw this practice too at the top restaurant in the hotel we stayed at. Otherwise shorts were acceptable.
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 02:53 PM

I didn't find Peter Island stuffy at all. There are 2 restaurants there. Only one of them requires the dress code you're talking about and only in the evening. The other one is more casual and by the main beach. You can absolutely walk around in shorts any time of the day. My husband and I went during low season for a long weekend getaway 2 years ago (left our toddler with family). It was quiet, relaxing, simply wonderful.
Old Oct 21st, 2006, 05:09 AM

Have you looked at Anguilla? It's a wonderful little island with great restaurants, the most beautiful beaches in the Caribbean and friendly people. Cap Juluca is very romantic in a beautiful setting. We stayed at Cuisinart in an ocean front junior suite and loved it. You can find out more at this forum: http://www.anguillaforum.com/index.php

You might also want to consider St. Barts. It's a French island, beautiful beaches (but not as beautiful as Anguilla), very upscale with wonderful restaurants. We're going in March and renting a small villa (is less expensive than hotel). There's a wealth of information at:
www.sbhonline.com

I've been to just about every island in the Caribbean (including BVI's several times)and in my opinion Anguilla and St. Barts are among the best for upscale pampering, restaurants and accomodations.
Old Oct 21st, 2006, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the responses. As I said, I certainly don't mind the dress requirements for dining. I was concerned, because the way it was written on the website seemed to indicate that was the dress code for the entire resort after 5PM. When we step out to dinner, I fully expect to be required to dress "appropriately".

Guana looks very appealing as well. I've thought about doing 5 days there... and 5 in either Biras or Peter Island. I will need to see how much time the transportation would eat up, though.
Old Oct 21st, 2006, 06:41 AM

obx,

Maybe sometime split between Grand Cayman (for activities and 7 mile beach) and Cayman Brac (for solitude)would be a good fit.

Although GC is much more built up than Cayman Brac...it is does not have the "party atmosphere" but does have some wonderful restaurants,excellent snorkeling etc.

Cayman Brac is known for birding,snorkeling and relaxing.

This is just a suggestion as I know that you are looking into Peter Island.

Wherever you go...hope that you have a much needed and deserved relaxing trip!(trust me I have 3 boys)9 years is a long time!

BTW...is your screen name referring to the NC Outerbanks?If so, I live in NC and love Ocracoke Island!

Christie
Old Oct 21st, 2006, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

thanks, Christie Yes, I'm an Outer Banks lover... owned a vacation home on Carova Beach (4-wheel drive), so you know I'm reclusive We sold it last year - perfect timing before the market began its decline. But I'm sure we'll buy again soon once I think it has bottomed out. Never been to Ocracoke I'm ashamed to admit, but we were actually talking about doing that this fall.
Old Oct 21st, 2006, 07:34 AM

You mentioned snorkeling. Neither Anguilla nor St Barts has good snorkeling. Great food and beaches-- mediocre (at best) snorkeling.
Old Oct 21st, 2006, 04:42 PM

I've been to Biras and Guana Island and both sound like they fit your criteria. I didn't find either at all stuffy, on the contrary, they are both relaxed and beautiful. The beaches at both are lovely and secluded. At Guana they even ran off the sailboats and would not let them dock near the beach. We were beachfront at Biras, but that was strickly a walking beach, to swim you take your bikes(everyone is provided one) and cycle down to the swimming beach. It's about 3/4 mile. At Guana we were up from the beach with stunning views from our porch. It was a steep walk to the beach, but they would drive you down anytime. Lots of places to walk on both properties. You can snorkle right off the beach at Guana, at Biras they have small boats you can take out yourself or sign up for guided trips. The snorkling is wonderful in the BVI so you won't be disappointed.
Biras is larger than Guana, but the feeling at both is very laid back. The food is great at both resorts, maybe a little, just a little, better at Biras, that just may be my tastes.
I think you would be happy with either resort. I'm also an Outer Banks fan(live in Virginia) and was just down for a weekend in early Oct. What a beautiful place!
Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 07:49 AM

My husband and I were at Biras in Jan.We were younger than most of the other guests but felt welcome and did not feel a stuffy attitude at all.

We dressed up a little at night but no more than at any other nice resort. Also, the roads are not paved so no heels are neccessary. If you are not at dinner you can wear whatever you want.
Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 01:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all! Provogirl - I'm also from VA Shabbychic, I was reading your other comments about Biras, and - with all I've seen on this forum - I'm sold. The only question now is whether to do Guana, too.... or stick with Biras for the entire seven to ten days.

I saw on a different thread (from last year) a question as to whether the Grand Suites were worth the $$. Looking at the site, they've really jacked the rates this year... especially on the Grand Suites... and the difference is not $200/nt between the ocean view and grand suites... it's now $425! They look stunning, but that's one heck of a premium. Is it still worth it? Of course, "slumming" (haha) it on Guana for a few nights would help. Does anyone know what the tranfer time/difficulty would be between the two?

Again, thanks so much for all of the info. Absolutely priceless.
Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 05:09 PM

obxxtreme-
The Grand Suites look very nice, but we were very happy with Oceanfront, do you really need all that room? It's quite a price jump, and the oceanfront rooms are lovely. You do not have the tub, but the outdoor shower is very special. Up to you, but I'd rather spend extra money on day trips.
As to going to both resorts, I'm way too lazy on vacation, but you could do it. You would have to take the boat back to Tortola and then pick up the launch that comes from Guana. Guana Island is right off Tortola so it would not take long. You would plan everything ahead and it is doable. On a 7 day trip I would not waste the time, maybe if you have 10-14, then consider it.
You will love both places, very secluded and peaceful, much like Corova Beach. I have a small place on T&C now, so I go there most often, but I would return to the BVI anytime. Beautiful Islands!
Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 07:29 AM

Can't help you with Biras, but it's a place that's on my list for eventual travel. I did honeymoon at Guana back in 2003, however, and recommend it unreservedly IF you like quiet, unpretentious guests & accommodations, a natural setting, and being able to be your own entertainment. They've got hiking and watersports, good snorkeling off the main beach, you can get a private castaway picnic, and while the rooms are comfortable, they are by no means luxurious. The food is very good, and very fresh, but simply prepared. They bake their breads fresh each day, they grow most of their fruits & vegetables, and their fish is caught daily.

Guana offers a different kind of getaway--it offers privacy and a truly natural setting, but it lacks the formal luxuries of other places in its price range. If you think that sounds like you, then I say go for it! Maybe stay a few nights at Guana and then move to Biras. You might even be able to arrange a water taxi from Guana to Biras to eliminate the Tortola middle man of transportation...
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 05:51 PM

Transfers between Guana, Biras, and/or Peter island is a snap.

It is simple matter of taking one resort boat to the Beef Island dock and "jumping ship" (walk across the dock, or down to the other dock&quot to the other resort boat. We've been doing this for years.

The resort we are leaving will set up the connection with the other resort. Just tell them where you are going a couple days in advance. They can usually offer a couple options. (like a morning or afternoon transfer).
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 06:47 AM

I posted a few days ago a summary of Biras Creek total make-over of the rooms and some public areas-NOT more rooms/suites, though. It began Oct.29 and will be completed by Nov. 24th. All new furniture, bedding, pictures, etc. All the amenities were on-site by 10/23 and they are doing it 1 room at a time not to disrupt the other guests since last week they were 2/3rds+ full according to the new firm that I spoke to Victor Corp. It must be mentioned that if you areavid snorkelers there are 3 or 4 times as many top snorkel spots around Virgin Gorda and only a few around Peter Island. Peter Island is physically more beautiful but it has probably 50% more guests (as I remember Biras at full occupancy is about 40 adults and in the Grand Suites you might have 3-4 children.The Beachfront Suites are quite ample in size though the Grand suite is probably 1/3rd larger, but for 2 persons you do not really need the space unless you get upgraded for zip then it's worth it, of couse, but you do not know that until you arrive. I have not been to Guana.
I did once say on a post 6 months ago that Peter Island was a bit stuffy. By that I meant a few of the staff who may not even be there any more.Also, as an aside during our stay they had a few too many buffets for my desires.
See my post to "owa" it gives more detailon the renovations at Biras Creek.

Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 08:02 AM

My wife and I have been staying in the BVI's the last 10 years, specifically Peter Island, Biras Creek, and Guana Island. We have found none of these to be pretentious. Each one has different offerings and different feels. For a very private but simple get away Guana Island is great. With just 15 cottages there is never more than 30 people. That said, we have been there with only 3 other couples. You practically feel alone. This place is great for hiking and beachcoming--but not a lot of amenities. Rooms are VERY simple, no TV on the island, no phones in rooms, no radios. There are some tennis courts, a few spa treatments, no pool. The food is from a fixed menu each night with 2 choices. You really feel like you are on a deserted island. Boats are available to hire to see and visit the rest of the BVI. Again VERY PRIVATE.
Biras Creek on the other hand is the next step up in terms of privacy and amenities. Here there is a swimming pool and tennis courts, a slightly bigger spa with a larger list of treatments than Guana, a TV/billiard room--with movies, and telephones in room (can be removed if you want) The rooms are all great --but as you heard a lot of changes are soon to come. We LOVE the grand suites--more secluded and much larger (almost 3x larger in square footage than the regular rooms.) Full restaurant here with many choices and wonderful cuisine. Double the number of rooms here than Guana with a maximum of 60 people at the resort.
Peter Island I feel is the next step up in size and amenities. Can have a maximum of 100 people, 2 Restaurants with a lot of choices, a full fledge Spa (can be considered a Spa destination) Pool, exercise facilities, water sports, on site diving facility. We enjoy the Beachfront rooms but the ocean view chalets are good. Just be careful, ocean view is obstructed with Palm trees-don't be disappointed. You can't go wrong with any of these resorts, just pick the one that fits your needs and expectations. We will be on Peter Island for a week in early Dec. followed by a week at Biras Creek. Will let people know about the changes at Biras after we get back.
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 12:41 PM

skman: What a terrific reply. Thanks so very much for all that detail. We've been thinking of trying PI next year, so I'll be interested to read your report. We enjoyed Little Dix last year (returning to St John this year) and visited Biras when we were on Gorda. I loved the property-- all those wonderful walking trails and gorgeous views. Wouldn't suit us, though, because of the non-beach situation-- and no good snorkeling right at the property.
Have a lovely pre-Christmas re-visit to wonderful BVI's!
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 04:42 PM

Thanks, Not sure what you mean by the non beach situation at Biras. There is a wonderful Beach, reached by a walk or by very short bike ride. During the week they have a great beach side barbeque. Sand is white/soft and a pretty tranquil bay. The rooms are situated overlooking a wonderful surf side beach (rocky and unsuited for swimming or walking).
Stan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -