Search

Sandy from Rum Point??

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14th, 2004, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sandy from Rum Point??

Sandy, are you out there? I can't help but think of you and your love of the Retreat at Rum Point. I'm sorry to read of the devestation there. I'm wondering if you were on the island and if you are OK...

You have been such a huge help to so many on this board, and I'm willing to bet lots of folks are wondering how you are doing.

Take care,
Lisa
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 03:50 AM

Hi Lisa,
Thank you for the kind thoughts!!We're still here in the States, but my heart is Grand Cayman. I still haven't found out if the Retreat is still standing. There was alot of destruction on the north side and i haven't heard anything so far about the Retreat. We are suppose to be going down next month, and i'm praying that we still can. There's nothing i would love more than to help with the clean up down there, but we're not even sure if that's possible. Prayers for everyone on GC and the entire Caribbean!! This has been the hurricane season from Hell!
Take care, Sandy
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Sandy,
Glad you are fine! I, too, am so saddened by the devestation the island is experiencing.

The best updated site I've found so far follows:
http://cayman-damage.andy.net

The stormcarib.net board is referring folks to this site--it summarizes all reports into one document. I beleive it's updated regularly.

Take care,
Lisa
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 01:58 PM

If you look on the website the previous poster has given, it says the Retreat has suffered severe damage...
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 02:41 PM

Hi Sandy,

I was sick this morning when I got the letter from Sue that Northpointe is destroyed. What a lovely place, what a lovely area. What sweet people.

Our plans were to go in April, we are now rethinking that. I don't know what to do. Will the island be recovered enough by then? Its so sad for them economically and emotionally.

It does, truly break my heart.

Karen

Old Sep 15th, 2004, 03:09 PM

Karen,
Things are not so grim as first reported. Our unit suffered no wind or water damage, although the 6 units on the east side did. Restoration of power and water are the problems. aour rentors from the UK actually stayed, went to a shelter and were thankful for a dry bed when they returned. Will keep you posted on any new developments.
Sue
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 05:02 PM

Sandy,
Have you been receiving my e-mails?
Sue
Old Sep 16th, 2004, 03:34 AM

Sue,
I just read all your e-mails. Thank you so much for the updates!! I was so glad to hear that Harv's Kai wasn't destroyed. I bet you guys are relieved! The Driftwood breaks my heart, but like you said, it will be back!! Sounds like the Retreat may take a while before it gets back and running. I feel for Robert, first the fire and now this. It will take time, but we will all be back on our beloved North Side in paradise. I talked to Dawn yesterday and her heart was broke also of the news of the destruction. Can't wait to tell her your condo was spared. Thanks for all the info!
Sandy