Sandals St. Lucia

Oct 6th, 2004, 12:51 PM
esp
Original Poster

Sandals St. Lucia

Does anyone have advise or an opinion on the Sandals poperties in St. Lucia? I am planning my honeymoon and would love some help. Which property is better, the Regency St. Lucia or the St. Lucia Grande? If you have better suggestions on a hot honeymoon spot post that as well. I need all the help I can get. Keep in mind that I'll be heading out in June of 2005. Thanks!
Oct 6th, 2004, 07:22 PM

We spent our 25th anniversary at Sandals Regency and it was perfect. The resort is beautiful and the island is just so tropical. The Regency resort is very large and the pool is super big, never had a problem with it being crowded. We have been to almost all the Sandals and this one is one of our favorites. The bluff suites are very romantic and if honeymooning this is that is the place to be... the food is great and the staff is super friendly.
Have not been to the Grande yet but have plans to go to that resort. Will be at the New Sandals Whitehouse for 2 weeks in Feb so maybe next yr we will do the Grande. If you have any ?'s please feel free to email direct. [email protected]
Oct 7th, 2004, 06:32 AM

I don't now if your mind is set on Sandals or not, but I did go to the Halcyon (sp?) for my honeymoon. We did have a lovely time but to me, it did not offer an unique appeal. I would definitely return to St. Lucia - it is a very lush and romantic island. However I would opt to stay at the Jalouise Hilton (situated in between the two famous pitons) or perhaps look into Anse Chastenet or Ladera. I just think that there are so many more unique and romantic places to stay then the Sandals. Just my two sense! Good Luck - Susan P.S. Just to let you know while this island is very lush and beautiful the beaches are a golden sand and the water is a deeper blue color. If you're interested in soft white sand beaches and more of the green/teal color water my vote would be for St. John in the USVIs (maybe look into Caneel)
Oct 7th, 2004, 08:53 AM

We also visited the Jalouise Hilton and had lunch while we were in St. Lucia. It also is a very beautiful resort but we did not think it was all its made up to be. The lunch cost us $87.00 and all we had was the buffet and 2 drinks. We could have ate at Sandals if we would have known it was going to cost so much.
Just my opinion, im sure wherever you choose you will have a great time.
Oct 7th, 2004, 12:08 PM

Congrats on your honeymoon! St. Lucia is a beautiful island and perfect for a romantic getaway. You'll find that opinions on these boards re: Sandals will vary, mostly to one extreme or the other. For various reasons I do not care for them, but the main ones are that I prefer to try local venues (restaurants, beach bars, etc) rather than being tied down to one resort, and that they are EXTREMELY bad for the local economy.

Since St. Lucia is not known for its breathtaking beaches, but rather for its lush interior and dramatic landscape, I would recommend that you stay in the south part of the island where the Pitons are. The Jalousie Hilton is a very nice typical resort with traditional ameneties on a stunning piece of real estate--it's set down smack between the Pitons. You have beach and mountain access here, and most rooms are actually free standing cottages with private plunge pools. They offer a lovely pool and spa and there's good snorkeling from shore. The downside is that the food is average but you have to pay premium prices for it.

Two other places are for the more adventurous traveler: Anse Chastenet and Ladera. AC is built on both the beach and hillside, and many of the rooms are open air, some with an entire wall "missing" so that the room opens to the panorama of the Pitons in the near distance. Ladera is built into the mountain above Jalousie, so there's no beach (they'll shuttle you to one), but every room has only three walls--again, the missing wall is an open air panorama of the Pitons and the sea below you. Very romantic, yes. But not a good fit for you if you're looking for traditional ameneties like air conditioning.

St. Lucia is a great place for a balance of a romantic/relaxing honeymoon and an active one. If you're strictly a beach bum person, you'll probably be happier elsewhere. If you tell us what you hope to do on your honeymoon--shopping, beach combing, nightlife & dancing, snorkeling, scuba, hiking, or nothing at all, we'll better able to advise you for your trip. If you're budgeting for a Sandals price tag, you may be surprised just how much more that money could get you elsewhere.
Oct 7th, 2004, 12:43 PM
esp
Original Poster

Thank you for your input, ej. I will take that into consideration while planning my honeymoon. Just to give you a better idea of what we're looking for... We would love to experience a lot of things during our honeymoon. We like bumming around on the beach but even better we love to scuba dive, snorkle, ski, hike, you name it. We also would like an afternoon at the spa, fine dining, and entertainment. That's the reason why an all-inclusive resort may be best for us. We certainly would like to pay for the trip before we go and we wouldn't have to worry about costs while we're there. On the other hand, we only have one honeymoon and I'm looking to make the best choice.