Sandals Negril vs RH Playa De Carmen??

Sep 11th, 2003, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

Sandals Negril vs RH Playa De Carmen??

My fiance are trying to plan a destination wedding/honeymoon at an AI. Originally we were planning Sandals Negril, but after reading numerous posts, and considering RH Playa Del Carmen. We are trying to keep costs down so important family members can attend...would RH be more/the same/less expensive than Sandals Negril...we're looking at September/October 2004. Any advice/suggestions???
Sep 11th, 2003, 07:30 AM

Just a couple of suggestions:

I've never, ever seen/heard one bad thing about RH. I've not stayed there, but I do know PDC well and love it.
Negril is great also, but you will find many people think Sandals is a very bad value (me included.)

Also, there are many very reasonably-priced hotels in PDC that time of year that would fit the bill for cost-conscious folks. RH is pricey, but probably not too much different than Sandals. I'm sure someone with experience with both can tell you.

Also, look at October if possible. The closer you are on either side of Labor Day, the higher the chance you will have trouble with hurricane season.

Sep 11th, 2003, 09:49 AM

Second the previous poster, when we were at RH there was a wedding and it's a lovely spot for one. A really reasonable option for a less expensive hotel for some of your relatives in the Shangri-La Caribe, a great place and a great value and only about 10 minutes from RH. Have never been to Negril, but an issue I think for those only coming for a few days is difficulty getting there. As I understand it, it is quite a distance from the airport (1 1/2 to 2 hours). Cancun to PDC is an easier 40 minute trip. If you really want and AI wedding in Jamaica you might want to look into Ritz Montego Bay. Gorgeous property, only 10 minutes from airport and the Key to Paradise Plan is actually an AI plan.
Sep 11th, 2003, 10:47 AM

Having been to both,I vote for RH.We were there the last weekend in May and I enjoyed myself.Im not a fan of AI's across the board, but RH is a bit different.IMO its much more upscale than Sandals ever dreamed of.Jamaica , however, is a beautiful island.If I were going to return there I would stay somewhere a bit different..there is lots to do and see in Jamacia and much nicer accomodations than Sandals provides.If I were going to return to Playa, I would stay at RH.If I were returning to Jamaica....I would not stay at Sandals.I will be happy to address any specific questions you might have.
Sep 11th, 2003, 10:55 AM

An additional plus for RH....their spa is fabulous.Although not part of AI...the services we had there were very good.Just something you may want to consider.
Sep 11th, 2003, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice!! I am looking into the Ritz, I really have my heart set on Jamaica for some reason. RH looks very nice too, with a lot to do outside of the resort! Since we're looking to do a wedding also, does anyone know if it's "included" at RH like at Sandals? Is RH all ages? I have a much younger brother (13) who would be attending also.
Sep 11th, 2003, 12:16 PM

Go to Playa..you will not be dissapointed. There is something magical about PDC. Negril doesn't even compare.
Sep 11th, 2003, 06:39 PM

Im not sure but I doubt the wedding would be included.I bet they help you customize what you want.I think its no kids under 16 or 18 ...might want to check on it.There are lots of great places in Jamaica..check out Half Moon.