Riviera Maya or Jamaica

Old Jul 16th, 2007, 06:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Riviera Maya or Jamaica

I am trying to decide between Sandals Whitehouse and some of the adult only AIs in the Riviera Maya - Secrets Capri, Secrets Excellence or Royal Playa del Carmen.
Any thoughts?
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 07:20 PM

Wow, that's a tough call. What are you looking for? I LOVED the Royal Playa and it's a real bargain for what you get. I also loved the town of Playa. It was so fun and safe. I many not stay at Royal next time as an AI is not necessary there. There are so many amazing restaurants. As for Jamaica...I LOVE Jamaica, but have not been to a big AI there. Let me know what you are looking for on this trip and I can try to give you my insight and I'm sure you will get others too. I did a review of the Royal and Playa if you click on my name and look back to a post in May.
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 06:56 AM

I agree with beachbum a very TOUGH call. We loved Secrets Capri - one of the absolute best hotels and AIs we have ever stayed in. We also really like the people in Mexico. But, we love Jamaica too and the Jamaican people are wonderful. We have not been to Whitehouse but have stayed at Sandals Negril and just returned from Sandals Dunn's River which was great.

I do not you will make a mistake with any of these, but I suspect you might find Sandals a bit more expensive.
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Here's what I'm NOT looking for. Party atmosphere, shopping. Here's what I AM looking for: Laid back, tour opportunities that allow me to glimpse something of the culture of the area - how the locals live, fishing villages, true local restaurant, beautiful scenery, with maybe some hiking..
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 11:05 AM

Then go further south to Akumal or look into Isla Mujeres. The Mayan people are wonderful. Playa has such a great location. It's 45 minutes to the airport and there are so many things to do. I don't know about the Jamaica locations, but excursions are more and easy to do in Mexico and the towns although set up for tourists have their own flair. I have not been to Akumal, but from what you say you want and what I have heard...it could be a fit.
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! One important factor - my hubby is adamant that he wants an adult only AI. Beachbum2 - are there any in the areas you are suggesting?
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 01:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There aren't many AI resorts in Akumal and I don't know of any adults only there. The Akumal Beach resort is an AI, but is a three star nothing fancy place.
I would go with the Royal Playa del Carmen. It's adults only, AI, right on the beach, within reasonable distance to the ruins. You can always take a day trip to Akumal.
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 04:32 AM

secrets capri and secrets excellence are adults only.

Peace, Greenie
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 04:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Excellence is no longer a Secrets resort. It has been under new management since October. It's now Excellence Riviera Maya.
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 09:08 AM

Go for the Royal Playa....you can't go wrong. It's a great deal (try bookit.com) and you will have many places that you can do excursions to. If you want to get closer to Tulum and Akumal, look at Azul Blue. I'm not sure if it's adults only, but I believe they cater to adults and it's a bit pricier. bookit.com may also give you other options.
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 09:53 AM

Azul Blue in Tulum is stunning, but it is built on the cliffs so no beach right at resort. Geared towards adults though not technically adult only but I would be shocked to see anyone take kids there.

ElDorado Seaside Suites just north of Tulum fully adult only and also very nice and upscale. This would be good one. Easy to reach the ruins of Coba from this area by excursion or just rent a car and do it yourself. Tulum ruins just down the coast (Azul almost abuts Tulum ruins).

Dreams Tulum, while not adult only, is also an excellent choice. We stayed there anoub 3 weeks ago and it was great. Some kids but all well behaved and quiet. Very good food and rooms.