Search

Sandals-Just Returned

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11th, 2004, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sandals-Just Returned

Just returned from Sandals Regency and visited Grand & Halcyon, if anyone has questions I'll be glad to try to answer. I loved the island and really liked Sandals. Had great service everywhere. Very friendly & helpful. I've stayed throughout caribbean/central amer. in budget places & luxury so I feel I have a perspective. Am an avid diver not a novice, so can provide info. on this also. I didn't do island tours though because I was out diving from 830a and didn't return to hotel until 1-2p. (the boat rides everyday provided my daily dose of beautiful scenery)!
Old Nov 11th, 2004, 03:10 PM

We're going to St. Lucia in February. We're staying at Royal St. Lucian first 6 nights and are then thinking of moving to Jalousie Hilton (Piton area) for the remaining 4 nights. We're also avid divers and thought this might get us closer to the good diving. Is that true? Did you head to that end of the island...would you recommend?
Old Nov 11th, 2004, 07:04 PM

My wife and I are going next week, and are worried about the weather. Heard it was raining every day. Thanx.
Old Nov 12th, 2004, 03:20 AM

Just back and we had rain avery day, but in the typical fashion: intermittent showers followed by dazzling sun. Nights were pleasant.

Bring bug spray.
Old Nov 12th, 2004, 05:58 AM

We have never had a bug problem on any of our trips to St. Lucia. Yes, it does rain almost everyday but only for about 10 minutes then the rest of the day its beautiful.
Old Nov 13th, 2004, 08:12 AM

parkcitygal, Yes! Staying at the Jalousie Hilton puts you right there, in the middle of St.Lucia's diving "hot spots." From shore dives at the base of the Petit Piton, with most others within a 5 minute boat ride. The Jalousie has a wonderful dive staff.
Information about the Jalousie's diving is listed on Stonefield Estates, web site.
You can check out maps of the diving areas. On www.stlucia.org
Anse Chastanet, also has a 5 star padi dive facility. Checkout divestlucia.com
Anse Chastanet is about 5 min. from the Jalousie Hilton by boat. Although Anse Chastanet, encourages those staying at the Jalousie to use the Jalousie's dive center.

Getting to this area near the Pitons from the North end of island, is a good 45 mins by boat.

Donna
Old Nov 18th, 2004, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

Sorry, I neglected to respond. I was very very happy w/the dive shop at Regency. Yes, they have their restrictions, but they make it as painless as possible. Unless you have been diving very recently, you will have to do a checkout dive in the morning and can then do an afternoon dive (which wasn't a bad dive). I was really nervous about using Sandals Dive shop, thinking I would get "cheated." But let me say they went out every day rain or shine and they took the boat down to Soufriere (?sp) and to the pitons about 3 times during my 6days of diving. The diving is better in that area and the view is spectacular! The dive shop went out of their way to make sure we didn't do the same dive twice. Also they went in search of dolphins one day (and found a huge pod). You put your own gear together. Also, from Regency they take you via bus to their dive shop. Interesting drive thru downtown Castries. During my week stay Nov. 1 it rained off and on but had several nice days. Usually the rain didn't last long. Hope this helps.
Old Nov 18th, 2004, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

Follow up--I didn't have any problems with bugs either but I know a few people did--not many. St. Lucia was gorgeous and coming up from a dive and looking up and seeing those amazing pitons was something I'll never forget.
Old Dec 3rd, 2004, 03:02 PM

my husband and i are planning to go to the Regency beginning of Feb. My dad told me he had read about a couple having a problem with their room at one of the Sandals resorts. i am now concerned about Cleanliness and how old the rooms are? what type of room did you stay in and would you recommend it or chose a different room?
Old Dec 5th, 2004, 11:27 PM

dball67,

We just returned from the Regency today. We never had a problem with cleanliness, ever. Our room was done every day. We were amazed at how often they were scrubbing the Pavillion area floors and pool area. This was our second visit. As for which room with a view, it depends how much you want to spend. We find we are not in our room enough to pay for the suites, and I can tell you for sure that the plunge pools are cold and mostly in the shade. We like the main tower rooms above the fourth floor and preferably higher. You will have an excellent view there and much better value. Rooms are on the small side, but plenty for us. Bed, TV, shower and we are good.

The beach there was much worse than last year. The seas were very rough and the red flag was out every day at least for a while. (no swimming and they will not let you in). Obviously not Sandals fault though. Had yellow flag every now and then. The tide was high during the day, so not much beach area to lay in chairs. That said, we spent more time at the bluff pool. By far nicer with beautiful view and and swim up bar in full sun. Had a bit more trouble getting beach towels this year, but managed to get them. Grand beach we heard from just about everybody is quite nice with more water sports and just a short distance by shuttle.

Bring your own blow dryer if you need one. Theirs will not stay on unless you keep the button pushed on the whole time. Trust me, easier said than done. Unfortunately the american outlet is behind the TV and no mirror. If you have any other questions, let me know.
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 10:10 AM
jpw

We went to St. Lucia for our honeymoon 2 years ago. I ONLY SUGGEST STAYING AT LADERA RESORT! It is expensive so you may want to stay there only a few nights which is what we did. It is stunning. It is an open-air resort(3 walled rooms, open wall over looks the Jalouise Hiltons beach and the Pitons,you can't see the actual hotel). All rooms have a private plunge pool, we even had a waterfall in ours. The Hiltons beach is stunning-white sand situated right between the Pitons. You can also take a guided hike one of the Pitons. From our pictures alone 2 other couples have gone. We also stayed at the HalcyonSandals. It's the smallest one there, but we also visited the Grand. This was a real dissapointment coming from Ladera. I do recommend taking the Jeep Rainforest tour offered at Sandals!