Safety in St. Lucia

Apr 13th, 2002, 01:38 PM
jen

Safety in St. Lucia

Planning a trip this fall and wanted to know if there are any safety concerns on St. Lucia. Has anyone rented a car and driven around the island and are there places to stop and picnic and get good photos?

Apr 13th, 2002, 02:57 PM
linda

I have driven on the left before, and if you take it slow, you get used to it. However, I think this is one of the worst islands for driving- and I've been on 11. The roads are terrible, the terrain rough, and they drive like IDIOTS. Be prepared to share the roads with people on horses, as well as assorted roaming livestock.Don't know where you're staying, but they had a good bus system running along the coast. Also, you can take a daysail to Pitons- which is a good way to go.Great photo ops here. Not much in Castries. Sometimes your resort will have organized tours to the Volcano, rain forest, etc. I highly recommend you check in and look around a bit before you decide to rent. I did, and was glad for it.

Apr 13th, 2002, 03:02 PM
linda

Sorry- forgot to mention that a great picnic area is up at Pidgeon Point. Beautiful hiking up here- stunning views. there were a few restaurants close to Gros Islet where you could find food. Have fun- it's a lovely place.

Apr 14th, 2002, 01:38 PM
jen

Thanks Linda-I appreciate the info. Sounds like the driving could be iffy but I'm wondering safety wise if it's okay to just picnic/hike or generally be alone in St. Lucia (with my husband) without being in a group. Is this Island a "stay in your resort because there is a lot of crime" type place? Thanks!

Apr 14th, 2002, 04:56 PM
linda

Jen,
I didn't have any trouble there at all. There was poverty, but nobody was begging or harassing us. If you stay on the west coast- where all the resorts are- you'll be fine, IMO. These people rely on the tourist trade and there are stiff penalties for criminals. I wouldn't attempt tp drive through the mountainous North/Eastern part. Not much there anyway.Do take a group tour to the rain forest and Pitons. It is cheaper than renting a vehicle and much less driving stress.

Apr 14th, 2002, 07:07 PM
linda

Mea Culpa....I meant the SOUTH eastern part.North is fine.

Apr 15th, 2002, 05:56 PM
jodi

We were recenlty in St Lucia for our honeymoon. We satyed at the Hilton and rented a jeep for a few days. Had a bit of a scary experience in Soufrie(spell?) wiht a man that said he knew us fom the resort. He approached us as we got out of our car and then told us to follow him down a road to a bakery. When we refused, he followed us into a grocery store and demanded money. We gave him some and he left. Castries can be overwhelming with all of the poverty and people sleeping in the square, but people there were friendly and did not appear threatening. I would stick to a populated area such as that if I were driving around the island.

Apr 15th, 2002, 09:39 PM
Bob

This summer a group of us are chartering a boat out of St. Vincent. We have a night stop over in St. Lucia before we fly to St. Vincent. How long will it take to drive to Rodney Bay from Hewnorra Int. Airport? Also, how long will it take us to drive from Rodney bay to George F.I. Charles Airport where we catch out next plane connection?

Jun 26th, 2002, 08:10 AM
Barbara Steel

Hi Jen
The advice about sticking to the coastal resort roads is very sound. I have been to the island eight times. Jungle Tours are a great organisation with open top jeeps and they do a tour called "Land and Sea" which is a very good way to see the island. My advice would be to do one tour first before hiring a jeep so that you can assess what the roads are like! If you email me I will send you details on my website which has some contact details for the tours we went on.