Romantic Getaway for active 55+

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2008, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My boyfriend and I are looking for a romantic, beautiful Caribbean getaway where we can walk along the beach, play tennis, snorkel and eat great food. I know, it counds like every place that's advertised, but we're a very young 55+ couple who are going away together for the first time in our (new) relationship! People have recommended Sandals Grande St. Lucian or Caneel Bay St. John. Any great ideas?
Old Mar 15th, 2008, 11:21 AM

I have never been to this place but have it bookmarked - we are close to the same age as you and are still sort of newlyweds on our second marriages so I keep an eye our for places that look romantic. Look at Nail Bay on Virgin Gorda and check out the Sundowner one bedroom villa with pool. I think it looks nice. The resort seems to have tennis. Maybe others who have been there could comment on whether or not it might be a nice spot.

St. John is hard to beat for what you want but I bet depending on the time of year you choose to visit that you could have the place at Nail Bay for the same price as a room at Caneel Bay. I have never been to St. Lucia so I can't comment on that idea. I do think you should look around at places in the BVI or USVI.
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 05:00 PM

I am really surprised and even offended at the lack of answers to your questions- I certainly hope it is not because of your (OUR) age because I may be 53 but certainly still feel like 35 so I hope those younger people out there realize that one day they WILL BE US ! Since I am not now in the post- childbirth stage, I am probably more active and in better shape, too. Like you, with a new "love interest" in your life, we are probably even more aware and less complacent about ourselves than some mothers of young children- I know that is true of me now and me then. Anyway, have you had luck finding places that "wow" you? A poster referenced Mahoe Bay in VG- I have not been there but I looked at websites and it looks very nice, also. How about Turks and Caicos? I have been doing research for next year's trip and I am looking at less developed places like North Caicos but I think there are plenty of places on Provo that would fit your bill- maybe send a post to Blamona asking for help on TCI. She says there are great restaurants in TCI.
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 05:45 PM
GapYear2009

What about Biras Creek or Guana Island in the BVIs?

Old Mar 17th, 2008, 06:34 PM

if caneel is in your budget i highly recommend it. they have 7 beaches on the property and st. john is known for very good snorkeling. you might go over to st. thomas one night to eat at havana blue at the marriott resort near charlotte amalie.
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 06:42 PM

I can only quote my "well-over-55" brother who thinks Cuisinart on Anguilla is "heaven on earth."
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 02:38 AM

Caneel Bay is the place for you -IMHO! As Virginia said it has 7 beautiful beaches, one for adults only,it's not clothing optional just for quiet solitude, and has some great snorkeling. Rosewood offers a package for 3 days at Caneel & 3 at Little Dix's Bay on Virgin Gorda. You may want to do that. I wouldn't want to pack and move but it might not bother you. St. John has more than enough beaches, snorkel spots, hiking trails & good food to keep you busy for 2 weeks.
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 04:06 AM

All the places we've been in the last few years have been romantic for my hubby and I. We often rent villas with a gorgeous view and a pool and/or hot tub for total privacy. We've been to Hawaii, St. John, Virgin Gorda, St. Barts, Vieques. I heartily recommend any of them. If you want to check out pictures and trip reports, you can go to my blog: http://maggiwun.blogspot.com
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 01:02 PM

Couples Swept Away (Negril) is another romantic option to look into. Our type of 55+ is well represented there and it has much of what you're looking for.
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your replies and suggestions. I am one of the "new" 55, look 38, active and still very young. Just wiser We are checking out all the ideas given and will let you know where we go and how it is after we're back. I haven't been on a vacation in so long that anyplace with a beach and no kids is paradise. Finding love at any age is hard, getting to enjoy a vacation with my newly found soulmate is priceless.
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 01:36 PM

Caneel has it hands down over Siras Vreek escpeciacaaly if you would like to snorkel among living coral with a wide variety of fis, coral, sponges and sea anenomes. You have a good chance of seeing a few turtles, as well. The food at Caneel over all is better than Biras except in a 7 night cycle we thought the dinners were were better at Biras but the lunches and dinners were far better at Caneel. If your budget allows request Cottage #7 rooms C, D, E, F, G nut not A or B.

If not availanle the Hawks Nest section on the upper level (only 2 floors), in an end room) is desirable.We take FAP for 2 nights, MAP for 3 nights and go off the meal plan the last 2 days, in a 7 day stay. e have the great buffet breakfast and have dinner 2 nights in Cruz Bay for a change of pace.
Old Mar 19th, 2008, 08:25 AM

My husband and I (age 46) just back from Galley Bay Resort in Antigua. It's absolutely in our top 3 of all beach resorts we have visited. Extremely romantic, food was good, beautiful beach. We went on Adventure Antigua's Eco Boat Tour (snorkeling, hiking and a great way to see the island from the water). It's pricey but they are having a sale, the premium beachfront rooms are wonderful.
Old Mar 19th, 2008, 04:06 PM

10sluvr,

We are mid to late 50's and have been married for 8 years, second time around for us. It would be helpful to know your price range. Turks and Caicos is a great place, quiet, but Grace Bay is a gorgeous beach to walk. Royal Hideway in Cancun is suppose to be a very upscale AI. Anguilla is filled with wonderful restaurants, and Antigua has the most beautiful color of water I had ever laid my eyes on. St. Johns is wonderful, Caneel Bay would be awesome as suggested. Again depends on budget. No matter where you go I am sure you will have a great time.
Old Mar 20th, 2008, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Great answers and now we only have to decide which room at Caneel bay, cause that seems to be the winner! I saw that there is a great thread on favorite things in St. John so we will be sure to print that out and bring it along.

Regarding rooms, we can't really splurge on Cottage 7, so any advice on the less expensive rooms? Any big difference among them? Are they all close to the beach? Are the rooms decorated the same? Ground floor or balcony? Suggestions?

Thanks!

Old Mar 20th, 2008, 05:59 PM

Wish I'd seen this earlier as we are also in the active age range. We have loved aruba,cayman and St john. will be leaving for Punta Cana on Monday. Age is a state of mind...and I don't mind!
Old Mar 30th, 2008, 06:14 AM

We have been to all the Sandals resorts and the Grande in St. Lucia is beautiful...but if you looking to walk the beach, great snorkeling , wonderful tennis courts,and super food... then Sandals Negril is your place. We are 49 & 52 and just returned from this resort again our "3rd time there". The River Suites are to die for. The staff is great and the sunset are just awesome. Any ? feel free to email me direct. [email protected]