Notices

Returning to the US customs question

Old Jun 8th, 2008, 11:56 AM
OO
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Returning to the US customs question

Return trip flying from Grenada, change planes in Puerto Rico, change planes in Miami, final destination Tampa.

I am SO SO SO hoping that it's not Miami, but Puerto Rico, where we can go through customs. In discussing another aspect with AA reservations, I asked the question and she said Puerto Rico...but somehow I wasn't comfortable with whether or not she actually knew, or was guessing. In 3 trips through Miami customs, my bags have yet to arrive at our final destination the same day we do. I despise Miami airport! Anyone know if it might be Puerto Rico instead?
Old Jun 8th, 2008, 12:07 PM

No doubt about it, you'll clear customs in San Juan. FYI - when travelling internationally you always clear customs at your first "port of Entry" into that country. Since Puerto rico is a US Territory, you'll clear customs there when you come back from Grenada.
Old Jun 8th, 2008, 01:24 PM
OO
Original Poster

THANK GAWD!!! I am a happy person!
Old Jun 8th, 2008, 01:32 PM
OO
Original Poster

Except now I'm worried that the scheduled 2 hr layover in Puerto Rico might not be long enough. We needed very bit of the 4 hrs we had each time we cleared in Miami. It was total chaos there every time though...perhaps Puerto Rico is better?
Old Jun 8th, 2008, 02:19 PM

san juan airport is a small joy compared to giant awful miami. i think you'll have time.
Old Jun 8th, 2008, 02:34 PM

2 hours is plenty of time to clear Immigrations, Customs & Security in SJU. We make the trip through SJU 8 to 10 times a year and it usually takes about an hour. We always allow at least 90 minutes between flights and have only had difficulties on one occasion and that was when our inbound flight was delayed due to weather problems, not because of crowds in SJU.

You'll be just fine.
Old Jun 8th, 2008, 03:38 PM
KVR

Since PR is considered the first American entry point that is were you will clear customs. We cleared through PR once coming back from St. Lucia. 2 hours was plenty of time. We spent most of our time waiting in the bar for our flight.

We've been through Miami customs 6 times and never once experienced any problems. No delays or issues with not getting a bag. 2 hours there was also plenty.
Old Jun 8th, 2008, 03:59 PM
OO
Original Poster

Thanks you all. I appreciate your input. I'm resting easy now.

KVR, You are lucky! After never receiving our luggage until the next day going through Miami, each time with a 4 hr layover, I'm gun shy. It has been the absolute worst experience, not just from that standpoint, but personnel attitude-wise as well. IE..after a long flight in from France, Miami personnel going around yanking people's cell phone chargers out of the pillar electrical outlets, saying, "You can't use our electricity" as they waited (interminably) to get through immigration. Geez Louise. Welcome home! (It wasn't ours by the way, and I despise cell phones, so I'm coming from an unbiased position.) Ugly airport, ugly experiences every time. I'm happy we are getting it over with in Puerto Rico.
Old Jun 8th, 2008, 06:27 PM

We cleared customs in P.R. after a cruise and my77 year old husband (he was going through i a wheel chair)) was just about strip seached..he has metal in his knee from a replacement.. Fortunately, we havent had to clear ever in Miami because of our itineraries. But i am convinced the TSA agents love hasseling senior citizens..especially in Boston., thats how they get their thrills. We will be cruising into Bayonne, N.J. from Europe and rather than go through the hassle again we will ake a cruise bus home.. I just dont like being humiliated by these.........Once a trip is enough..