Reload this Page >

customs from BVI to USVI

Search

customs from BVI to USVI

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 04:44 AM
Mango

customs from BVI to USVI

This is probably a dumb question...but my husband and I have read several different accounts re. customs in guidebooks and websites. We are flying into St. Thomas, taking a ferry to Tortola for a week, and then coming back from Tortola to St. Thomas to fly home. When do we go through customs? We want to make sure we plan our travel time appropriately so we don't miss a flight or boat! Thanks!

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 05:13 AM
Jeannie

Not a dumb question at all.....<BR>You will go through customs upon entering Tortola and then when you return to St Thomas.<BR>You will also need to clear customs and immigration when you leave St Thomas to return home.<BR>I would plan plenty of time into your schedule for the return trip. We cleared customs and immigration very quickly at the St Thomas airport but it pays to be careful!<BR>Have a wonderful trip!

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 05:42 AM
Eva

Jeanne is absolutely right. Outbound, when you leave St. Thomas, nothing happens. When you enter Tortola, you will clear customs and immigration at the ferry terminal. Returning, you go through customs and immigration at the ST. Thomas ferry dock. Then you will go through US customs and immigration AGAIN at the airport. No customs and immigration at the mainland airport at which you land -- it's treated as a domestic arrival.

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 06:37 AM
chris

Perhaps you can help me also -- am flying Continental from Newark to San Juan, and American Eagle to Tortola (the reverse route on the return). Is my first customs stop in San Juan or upon entering Tortola? Also,I believe my bags will be checked thru from NWK to EIS -- is this true? Also I understand that on my return I need to claim my bags in San Juan, clear customs there and then recheck them for Newark flight. Is this correct? Thanks in advance for your help.

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 06:57 AM
Jeannie

Chris,<BR>You will clear customs and immigration upon your arrival in Tortola not in San Juan. You should check with Continental about checking your bags through to EIS connecting with the American Eagle flight from SJU to EIS. It depends on whether Continental and American Eagle have arrangements to do this. In any case, be sure to take what you will need for a day or two in your carry on in case your luggage lags behind.<BR>Coming home you will have to claim your bags in San Juan to clear customs and immigration and then re-check them for your flight to EWR (Newark). San Juan, like St Thomas is considered a "point of entry" into the US hence the customs and more importantly immigration checks.

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 06:57 AM
Eva

Chris,<BR><BR>Southbound, unless you are switching airlines, your bags will be checked through to EIS. At EIS, you will go through immigration, collect your bags, then go through customs. Pretty cursory, and not long distances to walk.<BR><BR>Northbound, you will stop at SJU, go through immigration, walk a ways to an international baggage claim area, collect your bags, take them through customs, then re-check them (dropping them on an appropriate belt) and continue on to your connecting gate. Make sure you have at least 2 hours for this part of the journey.

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 08:16 AM
Mango

Thanks everyone for your help!!!

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 08:39 AM
chris

Thank you Jeannie and Eva for your informative help!!!!