Restaurant recommendations

Oct 15th, 2004, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

Restaurant recommendations

Hi!
Oct 15th, 2004, 06:28 AM
Original Poster

Sorry I didnt include my question...do I need to make recommendations for any restaurants in Barbados...what do you recommend- just one night we want to go out and get a great meal with a fantastic ambiance- thanks all!
Oct 15th, 2004, 09:04 AM

One night, great meal, fantastic ambiance? The Cliff - hands down and definitely make a reservation. Get Lois' tip sheet on Barbados - I think she even recommends a certain table #. Enjoy and congrats!
Oct 15th, 2004, 10:04 AM

I agree with the rec for The Cliff. Amazing ambience, great service, beautiful view. Request a table on the lowest level, nearest the water. I thought the food was highly overrated, but the atmosphere is such that I would go back in a heartbeat for a very special meal. Definitely make a reservation.
Oct 17th, 2004, 04:30 AM

You can have the concierge at you hotel make your reservations when you get there.

I'll vote for Calabazza. Great restaurant.

Greenie
Oct 22nd, 2004, 05:49 PM

Another vote for Calabazza! Both restaurants have excellent food so you cannot go wrong.
Oct 23rd, 2004, 06:06 AM

We were just in Barbados and thought Calabazza was just okay - not for the price. The Tides and the Cliff were our favorites. The Cliff is expensive but the food was to-die-for as well as the location. We felt that Calabazza was a wanna-be of The Cliff. I was really disappointed as we heard great things about Calabazza, but would not go there again.
Nov 1st, 2004, 03:11 PM

Hi,

Just got back from a trip myself, so I haven't been on the board in awhile.

We've always had good meals at Calabaza and they do resemble The Cliff (their manager used to manage it). It's a little more affordable, though.

The Cliff is fabulous - it's $75 US per person for a 2 course meal. Drinks and dessert are extra, so it can add up. But it's truly a memorable meal and setting. For 2 people - try for table 50.

New this year on the South Coast - something that rivals The Cliff in service, food and setting -
The Restaurant at Southsea.

If you'd like more details,
send for my tips sheet at:
[email protected] and I'll send you a free copy.

Lois
Nov 25th, 2004, 06:46 AM

Thanks Lois. Is the price at Southsea comparable to the Cliff as well? We're leaving this Monday. Any last minute tips? Joan
Nov 26th, 2004, 02:18 PM

Had dinner at Soutsea a few weeks ago. I think the price and food compare to The Cliff, but the service is much better at Southsea. The ambiance is great, but not quite as dramatic at The Cliff......either one should be a nice experience.
Nov 29th, 2004, 03:13 PM
rew

Any comments on Carambola? We'll be there next week and was wondering if anyone's been there, or have any other recommendations on the West Coast (other than Cliff and Calabazza).
Thanks.
REW
Nov 29th, 2004, 03:39 PM

Carambola is very good, as is the Tides, both are on the West coast.
Dec 6th, 2004, 06:02 AM

We just got back from Barbados, and tried Calabazza, the Cliff, the Tides and Southsea. I liked the food at all of them. The Cliff probably had the best overall food, but the sauces were heaviest and the food was hard for me to finish. The atmosphere was lovely, but quieter and the ladies were definitely dressed up more. Southsea had loud music going from the 80's and 90's and more talking. The service was topnotch and the ladies room was fantastic. I did not care for the music though. I thought the food at the tides was much lighter (the duck was in a fruit sauce instead of a heavy cream sauce like at the cliff) but the duck wasn't quite as tender- however we spent about 1/2 as much as we did at the cliff and I didn't feel so bloated afterwards plus we enjoyed ourselves just as much. Calabazza was as lovely as the Cliff in my opinion.
Dec 27th, 2004, 02:56 PM

We felt that Carambola was the most romantic restaurant we have ever seen.
Great food, and much less hectic than the Cliff.