Request help organizing my trip

Jun 21st, 2005, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

Request help organizing my trip

Hi!

I've used fodors talk extensively to organize/plan my trips and everyone has always been a great help. And my trips are always great. I've reviewed many of the trip reports and come up with a itinerary, but would like some help in organizing it and getting feed back/thoughts on is there anything else we should add/delete. 2 adults to PR/Vieques for 5 nights (this can be extended by a day if need be) the week before Thanksgiving. We enjoy snorkeling, hiking, eating and local culture. Prefer smaller/intimate but classy accomodations rather than large resorts. Not necessarily cheap accomodations. I've taken down many ideas from the great trip reports to create a trip sheet for myself.

We are planning to split our trip between San Juan and Vieques. Seems Vieques will be great for the things we like to do.

Planning on going straight to Vieques from San Juan once we get there - need help we this part on getting there, timings, modes of transportation ( plane vs. ferry)
1) 2 nites in Vieques- possible accomodations- Hix Island House, Hacienda Tamarindo, Bravo
2) Vieques activities- bio luminsecent bay trip, renting a car and snorkeling at various beaches, any other suggestions?

Then come back to San Juan

1)Culebra excursion- this will be a whole day base on what I've been reading
2) El yunque- do we need a whole day
3) Explore Old San Juan
Not sure about accomodations. From what I'm reading snorkeling/swimming is not very good on this side of the island, so not sure if staying on a beach is worth it. But it appears culebra/el yunque are easiest to get to from San Juan.
4) And rent a car drive around some of the island- any specific destinations here (noted many from the trip reports)

Thanks in advance,

Jon and Varsha
Jun 22nd, 2005, 09:08 AM
rqf

If you do go to Cuebra you won't have much more than a few hours to explore the island. On weekdays the earliest ferry leaves Fajardo at 9:30 and the latest return ferry departs at 3 pm. On weekends the ferrty leaves at 9 and you return on the 3 pm ferry.
Jun 22nd, 2005, 09:34 AM

Good luck. We hated the beaches in Vieques. They were extremely trashy and most had falling down remains of US Navy picnic huts on them. Very unattractive. It is true that you only see a few people on any beach (always 2 or 3 other groups at any location we tried) but we would sacrifice a little more crowding for a clean and attractive area. Vieques is not the place.
Jun 24th, 2005, 03:53 AM

We were in Vieques in March - stayed at the Hacienda Tamarindo - highly recommended. Try for room #5 (it is the only one with a private terrace and it overlooks the pool and the ocean) As for the beaches - we absolutely loved them. Tried a different one everyday and we were virtually the only ones on them. We didn't see any "trash" on the beaches. The only thing is that they don't rake the seaweed - but that is no big deal. There are quite a few that you can snorkel right from shore - which was nice. Have fun.
Jun 24th, 2005, 04:17 PM

Getting to Vieques: we've always driven to Fajardo and taken the ferry. We've rented a car and hired a publico as well. It's cheaper than flying but much longer.

Vieques is *the* place for non-resort-type accommodations. I'm getting married there in October for exactly that reason, and conveniently ignoring the monstrosity of the one resort there.

Although I haven't stayed at any of the places you've mentioned, I have visited Hix (wedding reception) and Hacienda (wedding party accommodations) and think they're both wonderful, but completely different. Everything that you've read about Hix is true; it is just magnificent but definitely not for the masses. That's why I'm putting my family up at Hacienda -- more conventional B&B lodging, but also a very professional operation.

Visit www.enchanted-isle.com and www.elenas-vieques.com for a good overview of things to do and look for.

The biobay is can't-miss. On our last trip there we did a kayak/snorkeling trip with Abe (don't have the e-mail on hand) that was from 2-8 and was a good alternative to the pontoon tour provided by Island Adventures. The Blue Caribe kayak tour had too many people, in my opinion. We were one-on-one with Abe and had a great time.

Have you considered the ferry from Vieques to Culebra for a day trip? Culebra is beautiful as well but Vieques just captivated us. I thought the snorkeling was actually better at Culebra.

Do not miss Tropical Baby for global cuisine (she's catering my reception), and Bili for Puerto Rican cuisine with a Caribbean twist.

Hope this helps, sorry about the stream of consciousness...
Jun 27th, 2005, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the input!

PRDaf,

Thanks, did not think about Vieques-Culebra, good suggestion. We want to go to Culebra specifically for the snorkeling. Researched Hix more, I think it may not be for us. I'm looking at the Bravo inn also. We also prefer small (less than 10) ot individual type water excursions. So I'll try to find out about Abe and kayaking. Thanks for the food recommendations.
Jan 10th, 2010, 10:15 AM

how do I find out about the Vieques to Culebra Ferry?
Jan 11th, 2010, 05:22 AM

Here's the schedule I found. You should call to double check times as this was last updated in Jan 2009.

http://www.vieques-island.com/viequesferry.shtml

If you have further questions it would be better to start a new post as this one is over 4 years old!