PR beaches

Oct 7th, 2007, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

PR beaches

Hi, I am staying in Ocean Park an traveeling to PR in about a week. What beaches in PR would you recommend if I DONT want to travel to Vieques or Culebra? I heard Rincon & Isabela have nice beaches. So far I have Isla Verde beach and Ocean Park on my list of beaches and maybe Luqillo beach while I visit El Yunque.

Has anyone been to Boqueron beach? Thanks!
Oct 7th, 2007, 12:43 PM

The Rincon area has good beaches, but I don't think they are worth driving over 2 hours to see. You could get to the Dorado area immediately west of San Juan pretty easily, and it has excellent beaches. But the best are definitely in Vieques and Culebra.
Oct 7th, 2007, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Doug! You just saved me a long drive.

Would you recommend taking the ferry ride to see Flamenco beach?

It will cost me less than $30 to take the ferry (car rental for a day to get to Fajardo port+ $5 ferry ride + $5 cab ride back and forth to flamenco). But, that a total of 6 hrs of traveling back 'n forth from Ocean Park,SJ & Culebra just to just sit for 3-4 hrs on a gorgeous beach. I can't swim so can't enjoy the snorkeling.

I am going in the low season and on a weekday when the ferry service is supposed to be more reliable. I feel like I have seen beaches like that in Kauai,HI but I am still ready to explore if it's worth the journey.

I do have5 days in PR so perhaps it will be worth it??...

Oct 7th, 2007, 02:46 PM

The only thing for which I'd travel that far and be so inconvenienced would be the biobay in Vieques. I've read that you can do a same-day trip with no stayover, so search on this board for Vieques and see what the company offering the tour is called. Now that's worth the trouble. But if you don't swim, I just don't think it's worth it. If it's just to look at scenery, you could take the Routa Panoramica across the southern half of the island and then stop off briefly in Cabo Rojo to see the lighthouse and beaches. That might be worth the trouble just for the beautiful scenery. There's a little island called Gilligan's Island of the south coast that's kind of unspoiled, but it's still a question mark for me if it's worth it if you don't swim.
Oct 7th, 2007, 03:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great advice once again!

Does the biobay tour in Vieques have a lot more to offer than the bioluminiscent lagoon tour in Fajardo?

I saw a $45 kayak tour of the biobay in Fajardo. here's the link:
http://www.kayakingpuertorico.com/pa...l#Anchor-14210
Oct 7th, 2007, 04:55 PM

By most reports, the biobay in Vieques is really the best of the three on the island. But if it's not possible to get to Vieques, then the one north of Fajardo would be worthwhile, I think. Hopefully during the week you'll get a few more responses. These boards aren't too busy over thew weekend.
Oct 8th, 2007, 12:48 PM

Bengaligirl-
We did the Fajardo bio-bay this summer and enjoyed it immensely. Well worth it. I wouldn't bother to drive to Rincon, but I agree with Doug that Cabo Rojo and the drive to get there is beautiful. As far as beaches go, we also love the Dorado beach near San Juan and loved the shallowness of Luquillo, so you can wade (not swim). IF you change your mind and are willing, I'd take the small plane to Culebra. It gives you more time and you could explore the island a little bit, plus the view from the plane is really neat.
Oct 8th, 2007, 10:56 PM
Original Poster

awesome! thanks for the helpful advice folks.

after listening to y'all and TA, I discussed this with my friend who hasn't traveled much(and neither have I)and really wants to see Flamenco beach, we decided to go for it! I'm a beach freak myself and considering that it's my first visit to PR I think it will be worth the trip (I hope).

I would so prefer to take the flight but this a last minute trip so have to really watch my budget. but we are so excited that I don't think it will matter in the end.

I'll be sure to come back and post all about my experience in PR...both the good and bad

Oct 9th, 2007, 02:38 AM

I think you can fly pretty cheap to Culebra. I know from Vieques to Culebra it is only $25 one way, not sure how much from Fajardo. Will save a lot of time and inconvenience! There was just a lengthy article in Vieques Events about the dilapated ferry system between VQS/Fajardo/CUL. They are very often broken down and just recently both VQS ferrys were down and they had to use the car barge to transport people!
Oct 10th, 2007, 10:26 AM

The last I had heard Gilligan's Island was closed (?). May want to check that out, I can't swear to the accuracy. Also, you'll need to check the phase of the moon for the bio-bay experience, the darker, the better.
Oct 10th, 2007, 11:29 AM

I can't confirm Gilligan's, and I certainly don't want you to have a wild goose chase, so definitely confirm that if you want to go.
Oct 10th, 2007, 03:52 PM

Is there a particular reason you cannot swim such as a fear of water? I find that swimming and snorkeling are only partly related. You might want to try an introductory snorkeling class to see if you might enjoy it.

I am a fairly poor swimmer, but I float well and can snorkel for an hour or more without any supporting vest.