Best hotel in Vieques?

Old Apr 6th, 2004, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best hotel in Vieques?

I'd like to spend 2 nights on Vieques and am not sure where to stay. I'd like something cheap (~$100) but clean. I've heard a lot about hector's on the sea. Any other great places you'd recommend.

Also, is 2 days the right amount of time? I was going to take the ferry Wed morning and leave friday morning for a flight home friday afternoon. Thanks for the help!
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 12:34 PM

hi! it's me again...who's been responding to your posts.

best hotel is a relative question, depending on your style, budget and preference...

$100 thereabouts, my recommendations are the following:

Crow's Nest http://www.crowsnestvieques.com/crowsnestpage.html

La Finca Caribe
http://lafinca.com/

Trade Winds
http://enchanted-isle.com/tradewinds/

Bananas
http://www.bananasguesthouse.com/

When we went, we spent 1 day touring the island (museums, towns/villages, etc.), 2 days exploring secluded beaches (with one night doing the bio-bay kayak tour --- a MUST!), and one day snorkelling. that was perfect for us. 2 days will probably be enough as long as you do these 2 things: bio-bay kayak night tour and exploring the beaches, then 2 days will be enough. make sure to have dinner at Le Shack on reggae buffet night (not sure which night that is) and if you can swing extra bucks, a sunset dinner at the Blue Horizons Inn...

Have fun!

Old Apr 7th, 2004, 08:29 AM

You propbably want to stay in Esperanza. The better beaches are on that side of the island and that's where the boi Bay tour is. I would do it on the pontoon boat rather than kayak. A really dark night is best but if it is light you can swim under the pontoon boat to get the full effect. Chez Shack is very good for dinner. They have a bbque and reagge band that plays on Monday. Blue Macaw is very nice but rather expensive. Good food at Bayaonda. The ferry leaves Fajardo at 9 AM for vieques. It is about 1 1/2 hour drive from San Juan. On the way back the Ferry leaves Vieques at 7 AM. You might consider flying back either to San Juan or Isla Grande which would give you more time on Vieques. ABout a 20 min flight. We used Vieques Air Link which was very good.
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 05:10 AM

You two seem to know Vieques well. I've been 4 or 5 times, not since the Navy left. However, I will be there next week, taking passengerferry. Have you done it? Can the ride be rocky-induce sea sickness easily, etc?
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 05:35 AM

The first time we flew both ways and the second took the ferry over and flew back. The ferry is very large and stable so we didn't have nay trouble with seasickness and my wifwe isn't a very big boat person. I have trip reports of our trip in Oct and Feb on Caribbean-on-line.com on the Puerto Rico forum