Reload this Page >

Rent a car in Grand Cayman?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 08:05 AM
Jean

My husband and I are planning to stay at Plantana in early June, along with another couple. Should we rent a car, or is taking a taxi better?<BR><BR>-What are driving conditions like? Roads fairly well-marked?<BR>-Is is like Mexico where folks/locals try to hit you or be hit so they can hit tourists up for insurance money? I've read about some of those scams.<BR><BR>Looking for recommendations...

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 08:56 AM
x

Plantana is pretty far north and not really near lots of restaurants. Depends on how much you want to go out, but a jeep split between two couples wouldn't cost much.<BR><BR>You drive on the left, but conditions are good. Traffic on West Bay Road (runs along Seven Mile Beach) can be very slow at times.<BR><BR>Not at all like Mexico. No scams, no crooked police.

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 10:36 AM
karan

We are going to Aqua Bay on Feb 9, on the north end of 7 mile beach. I posted the same question about rental cars and the consenus was unanimous(James and Sandy)-rent a car. We are renting a suzuki from Dollar at the airport. We can always take it back if it is unnecessary.

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 10:39 AM
Lisa

I'd say definitely rent a car as well. Nothing's very far and the roads are excellent but too far to walk. There is a good bus service (minivan) for CI$2 but sometimes you can end up waiting for over 15 minutes.<BR>Not sure of taxi rates but keep in mind you pay per person.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 10:26 AM
Jean

Thanks! It looks like a car rental is the way to go. I'll be 30 weeks pregnant, so I think we'll get an SUV for space!