Reload this Page >

Has anyone visited Carriacou? Any advice/recommendations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1st, 2003, 05:22 AM
Sue

We are visiting Carriacou for two weeks next month, and would appreciate any feedback from anyone who has visited.<BR><BR>Accommodation (North of Hillsborough) is booked, but we're keen to hear about the best places for snorkelling, any restaurant recommendations, and anything else that you think may be useful.<BR><BR>Thanks.

Old Jan 1st, 2003, 06:00 AM
xxx

You mean Curacao, right?<BR>There are several recent posts on this.<BR>Put 'curacao' in the search box.<BR>

Old Jan 1st, 2003, 06:27 AM
zzz

She probably does mean Carriacou, which is an island in the Grenadines between Grenada and St. Vincent.

Old Jan 1st, 2003, 08:42 AM
R. Bailey

Try http://www.grenadaexplorer.com/

Old Jan 1st, 2003, 09:09 AM
wasthere

We were in Carriacou in September for a day trip from Grenada. Hillsbourough is the main town, it seemed very hot and dusty at the time. We took a taxi around the island, the best view is from the hospital, you can see all up and down the Grenadine chains, from Grenada to St. Vincent.<BR><BR>We ate lunch in town at a place called By the Sea, or something similar to that. Very tasty and inexpensive. There is also a bakery on the main road in Hillsborough, can't miss it. The bread was very good.<BR><BR>They do lots of boat building here...we went and saw a boat being built...all the different stages, very interesting.<BR><BR>The best snorkeling is on Sandy Island, a little spit of sand that can be seen from town. Just ask around and you will be able to find someone to take you in their boat, they might even arrange a packed lunch and cooler of drinks for you, then they will return to get you at an arranged time.<BR><BR>If you can, take the ferry to Grenada for a day or two. They are such different islands, but equally pretty.<BR><BR>Hope this helps,<BR>

Old Jan 1st, 2003, 09:12 AM
Sue

Thanks for the responses! <BR><BR>Yes, it really is Carriacou we mean, not Curacao. We'd not heard of it until a few weeks ago, and it's very difficult to find anyone who has done more than a day trip there.

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 05:13 AM
curiousx

The best website for finding out all about Carriacou is www.grenadines.net. <BR><BR>Also do a word search on this Fodor's board and on www.traveltalkonline.com and you will find what previous posters have to say. There is quite a bit of information between the two.<BR><BR>Must do's in Carriacou include:<BR>- a daytrip (or more) to the Tobago Cays for snorkelling, and side excursions to Mayreau's picture perfect Saltwhistle Bay<BR>- a drive around the island - I would split into two half days. The coast line is spectacular, particularly in the boat building villages in the North-end<BR>- a snorkelling excursion and picnic to White Island and another to Sandy Island<BR>- enjoying good (not gourmet) meals at the Callaloo restaurant in Hillsborough and at various restaurants in the small village of Tyrell Bay (Poivre et Sel, Scrapers, the Old Rum Shop). <BR><BR>Friends recommended that I use Cuthbert Snagg (from Hillsborough) for my boat and snorkelling excursions and I found him excellent. <BR><BR>Where are you staying ? Hotel and guesthouse accommodation isn't much, so it would be interesting to know what you've found. A villa perhaps ?<BR><BR>Have fun!<BR><BR>Please post a report on your return because I am returning to Carriacou again in February, and would like to know 'what's new'.

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 05:20 AM
Janet

Can also recommend Brian who owns the Cinderella sailing boat who will take you to Tobago Cays or Petit St Vincent. It's a wonderful island, we went there twice from Grenada which is also a super place.

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 05:23 AM
curiousx

I should clarify that Cuthbert Snagg's boat is not a sailboat but a powerboat -quite comfortable, with a good sized cuddy to shield from the sun and waves.

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 05:35 AM
curiousx

Another must do, perhaps coupled with a picnic lunch at beautiful Paradise Beach, is a visit to Canute Calliste's atelier in the village of L'Esterre.<BR><BR>Mr. Calliste is a 90+year old artist whose work, in the 'primitive style' is widely known (do a Google search to find out more). He is a charming man and well worth spending some time with. For under $100US, you can buy one or two of his smaller paintings (generally copies of works he has done before). This makes an unforgettable Carriacou souvenir.<BR><BR>Anyone in the village can direct you to his house.<BR><BR>P.S. A packing tip - download a map or two of Carriacou from www.grenadines.net - you will have trouble finding them on the island

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 09:58 AM
ttt

topping for Sue

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 11:11 PM
sue

Sorry - I've been busy with work and not had a chance to look at the forum the last couple of weeks. Thanks for all the replies.<BR><BR>Curiousx - yes, after much debate, we're taking a villa. Thanks for the map tip, and also for travekltalk online, which is not a site I've found before.<BR><BR>I'll certainly post a trip report - probably reasonably brief, but we can always drill down into more detail on anything you are especially interested in.<BR><BR>Less than two weeks to go until we leave now - can't wait!

Old Jan 18th, 2003, 07:22 PM
which villa

A villa is a wonderful choice, which one did you choose????

Old Jan 18th, 2003, 09:39 PM
Sue

We went for Limin' House, via Downn Island Villas. Looks like a nice place, reasonable price, good location. Just hope it's as good as it looks.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 02:19 AM
ttt

topping<BR>

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 06:50 AM
Kath

Sue<BR><BR>Can you tell us how you are geting there? I.e., what airline through what airports. I'm interested in this island but it seems difficult to get to. I'd appreciate any tips.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 07:28 AM
Kath

Also, how is Carriacou pronounced?

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 07:38 AM
curiousx

If you can get to Grenada or St. Vincent, you won't have any trouble.<BR><BR>SVG Air flies to Carriacou from St. Vincent (the route is St. Vincent, Bequia, Mustique, Canouan, Union, Carriacou. Some of these are flag stops only. The travel time is abput 90 minutes, of which maybe 15-20 minutes is in the air. <BR><BR>I have also flown in from Grenada on Helenair which is now defunct. I don't know the successor airline.<BR><BR>The best option from Grenada is the fast ferry, Osprey, which goes from there to Carriacou and Petit Martinique.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 07:40 AM
curiousx

Carriacou is pronounced Carry-Uh-Coo. However, the local name for residents is not, as one might think, Carriacouans, it is Kayaks, just like the boat.<BR><BR>

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 07:45 AM
Kath

Thanks CuriousX. Good info. <BR><BR>I also read on one of the websites that Carriacou has no hot water? Is that still true? Those Kayaks are tough souls!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -