Renaissance Grand Resort??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2003, 10:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I and our 3 boys ages 11, 14 and 15 will be at the Renaissance Grand Resort in Jamaica April 12-19. I was wondering which tower was better (newer and cleaner rooms). Also has anyone been there recently and how was your stay? Any do's and don'ts? Is Dunns River Falls worth the trip? Any advice welcomed.
Old Mar 19th, 2003, 10:24 AM

I cannot elaborate on the Renaissance since I've stayed there way back when...before it was even called that. Since you are staying in Ocho Rios, definately do the falls, it is definately worth it, even though it can get crowded. Just try going on a day when there are no cruise ships in Port. You will be able to see the ships since RJG is close to the docks. You are a stone's throw away from the falls so might as well. Also enjoy the beach below at the foot of the falls. The boys will definately be thrilled with the Dunns River venture.<BR><BR>Other ventures to consider...Shaw Park Gardens and the Green Grotto Caves. The caves are located in Runaway Bay and not Ocho Rios... and are worth the trip.<BR><BR>Ask a private driver to take you guys on a trip up to Murphy Hill...every driver knows about it.<BR><BR>My question to you is this...since there are 5 of you, what accommodation were you able to get at the Grand?
Old Mar 19th, 2003, 01:09 PM

The North Tower.<BR>Margaritaville - nice change of pace<BR>Dunns River - thumbs up<BR>Green Grotto Caves - awesome<BR><BR>Dont go on Holy Thursday or Good Friday = crowded
Old Mar 19th, 2003, 03:35 PM
Original Poster

anderaac, we have adjoining rooms from what I was told by out travel agent. (this was not our first choice resort, we chose it after out trip to Jolly Beach Resort in Antigua was cancelled by the tour co.) We have been to Jamaica once before for only 4 days and stayed in Montego bay at the Jack Tar, it was kinda dumpy, but a real party place.... we actually had a good time...it wasn't real expensive and the room was fairly clean....I stayed drunk most of the time.<BR>Jray, have you stayed at the resort? Where is Margaritaville? (I was just at the one in Key West 2 weeks ago, is it similar? I will plan to go to Dunn's river for sure!<BR>Another question? Our plane doesn't arrive until like 5:00 pm, would it be quicker for us to take our own taxi then the shuttle provided by the resort?
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 05:55 AM

I have stayed at the &quot;Grande&quot; each of last 5 years (7 stays overall) and will be going back in August. The place is really geared towards family, yet you dont feel overrun by kids. I have been to Jolly's in Antigua and think you are making a better choice with RJG (wider variety in food and more for your kids to do). Also been to Jack Tar (now something else) and RJG is far better than Jack Tar (was). <BR><BR>Margartaville is about a mile from the hotel and a few hundred yards down the road from Dunns River. I was there in Feb last year when they had the official opening and even got to meet the man himself. He performed on opening night. I have not been to the M'ville in Key West, but I have been to the ones in Negril and MoBay and they are both similar. I guess since its a chain they should be somewhat similar. If you do go to M'ville, your boys should bring their swim trunks. They have a waterslide which goes over the bar and dumps you into the pool. <BR><BR>As for transport, you should go with the hotel shuttle. <BR><BR>Anything else you need to know just ask.
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 09:55 AM

Okay MichMary, thanks for the feedback re: the adjoining rooms. I guess that work's out since you and your hubby will have your own private space away from the boys.<BR><BR>In addition, if you can squeeze it into your budget, a river rafting adventure should be considered. I never leave the island without a river rafting excursion. Check with the desk at the hotel what's available. Also see if there's still white-water rafting at the White River. The White river is located just 15 minutes east of where you will be staying.<BR><BR>Remember to do the Green Grotto Caves...you will thank me for doing so.
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 12:59 PM

You can also go to Dolphin Cove. Where you can swim with the dolphins. We were planning on doing this our last trip down, however, we took a trip to Port Antonio and did not get back in time.
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

Thank so much to andreaac and jray, you both have been the most helpful (and pleasant) people I have interacted w on this site! I will take your advice!! Not sure about the white water rafting...I'm not a pansy but it sounds sort of risky!
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 11:22 AM

Awww shucks, don't make me blush! Don't mind helping at all. Enjoy the trip and let us Fodorites know how it went with a trip report.